Command log in MODELSIM

Discussion in 'VHDL' started by spectrallypure, Jan 11, 2007.

  1. Hi all! I am just learning to use Modelsim SE, and I wanted to know if
    there is any option to record all the commands (but only commands, not
    other outputs such as errors or warnings) issued in the command window,
    or if these get logged into a log file anywhere.
    I need this information because I often need to take note of the
    sequences of commands run by other people while working together, but I
    cannot just copy & paste them from the command window because most of
    them "get lost" after some scrolling of lines, frequently because of
    unimportant outputs such as warnings (which by the way I get a lot in
    the project I am working on right now).

    Any ideas are welcomed!

    Thanks in advance,

    JL.
    spectrallypure, Jan 11, 2007
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. On 11 Jan 2007 11:23:00 -0800, "spectrallypure" <>
    wrote:

    >Hi all! I am just learning to use Modelsim SE, and I wanted to know if
    >there is any option to record all the commands (but only commands, not
    >other outputs such as errors or warnings) issued in the command window,
    >or if these get logged into a log file anywhere.
    >I need this information because I often need to take note of the
    >sequences of commands run by other people while working together, but I
    >cannot just copy & paste them from the command window because most of
    >them "get lost" after some scrolling of lines, frequently because of
    >unimportant outputs such as warnings (which by the way I get a lot in
    >the project I am working on right now).


    You should find a file called "transcript" in the current working
    directory. If you're not sure where that is, simply issue the
    command "pwd" in the console to find out.

    The transcript logs everything that went to the console, but
    anything that is not a command - errors, etc - is prefixed
    by a # (comment) character in the transcript file, so you
    can use the transcript directly as a Tcl command script.
    Of course it's also easy to edit away those unwanted lines.
    --
    Jonathan Bromley, Consultant

    DOULOS - Developing Design Know-how
    VHDL * Verilog * SystemC * e * Perl * Tcl/Tk * Project Services

    Doulos Ltd., 22 Market Place, Ringwood, BH24 1AW, UK

    http://www.MYCOMPANY.com

    The contents of this message may contain personal views which
    are not the views of Doulos Ltd., unless specifically stated.
    Jonathan Bromley, Jan 11, 2007
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Thanks a lot for your response Jonathan! Unluckily, the transcript
    files that you point out seem to only record the first few lines of
    output text. For instance, here is a tipical content of such files:

    # // ModelSim SE-64 5.8b Jan 01 2004 SunOS 5.8
    # //
    # // Copyright Model Technology, a Mentor Graphics Corporation
    company, 2004
    # // All Rights Reserved.
    # // UNPUBLISHED, LICENSED SOFTWARE.
    # // CONFIDENTIAL AND PROPRIETARY INFORMATION WHICH IS THE
    # // PROPERTY OF MENTOR GRAPHICS CORPORATION OR ITS LICENSORS.
    # //

    Am I missing something? Maybe there is some option that I should setup
    in order to enable the dumping of the output text to these transcript
    files... Thanks in advance for your help!

    Regards,

    JL.


    Jonathan Bromley wrote:
    > On 11 Jan 2007 11:23:00 -0800, "spectrallypure" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Hi all! I am just learning to use Modelsim SE, and I wanted to know if
    > >there is any option to record all the commands (but only commands, not
    > >other outputs such as errors or warnings) issued in the command window,
    > >or if these get logged into a log file anywhere.
    > >I need this information because I often need to take note of the
    > >sequences of commands run by other people while working together, but I
    > >cannot just copy & paste them from the command window because most of
    > >them "get lost" after some scrolling of lines, frequently because of
    > >unimportant outputs such as warnings (which by the way I get a lot in
    > >the project I am working on right now).

    >
    > You should find a file called "transcript" in the current working
    > directory. If you're not sure where that is, simply issue the
    > command "pwd" in the console to find out.
    >
    > The transcript logs everything that went to the console, but
    > anything that is not a command - errors, etc - is prefixed
    > by a # (comment) character in the transcript file, so you
    > can use the transcript directly as a Tcl command script.
    > Of course it's also easy to edit away those unwanted lines.
    > --
    > Jonathan Bromley, Consultant
    >
    > DOULOS - Developing Design Know-how
    > VHDL * Verilog * SystemC * e * Perl * Tcl/Tk * Project Services
    >
    > Doulos Ltd., 22 Market Place, Ringwood, BH24 1AW, UK
    >
    > http://www.MYCOMPANY.com
    >
    > The contents of this message may contain personal views which
    > are not the views of Doulos Ltd., unless specifically stated.
    spectrallypure, Jan 14, 2007
    #3
  4. spectrallypure

    chriskoh Guest

    Hi,
    did you try typing any commands yet before looking at your logfile?
    Jonathan is right. alternatively, you can simulate with

    vsim -l abc.log <your testbench>

    the above command will create abc.log instead of your transcript
    file. hope this helps you. this is the only way to enable log in
    modelsim.

    chris.

    spectrallypure wrote:
    > Thanks a lot for your response Jonathan! Unluckily, the transcript
    > files that you point out seem to only record the first few lines of
    > output text. For instance, here is a tipical content of such files:
    >
    > # // ModelSim SE-64 5.8b Jan 01 2004 SunOS 5.8
    > # //
    > # // Copyright Model Technology, a Mentor Graphics Corporation
    > company, 2004
    > # // All Rights Reserved.
    > # // UNPUBLISHED, LICENSED SOFTWARE.
    > # // CONFIDENTIAL AND PROPRIETARY INFORMATION WHICH IS THE
    > # // PROPERTY OF MENTOR GRAPHICS CORPORATION OR ITS LICENSORS.
    > # //
    >
    > Am I missing something? Maybe there is some option that I should setup
    > in order to enable the dumping of the output text to these transcript
    > files... Thanks in advance for your help!
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > JL.
    >
    >
    > Jonathan Bromley wrote:
    > > On 11 Jan 2007 11:23:00 -0800, "spectrallypure" <>
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > > >Hi all! I am just learning to use Modelsim SE, and I wanted to know if
    > > >there is any option to record all the commands (but only commands, not
    > > >other outputs such as errors or warnings) issued in the command window,
    > > >or if these get logged into a log file anywhere.
    > > >I need this information because I often need to take note of the
    > > >sequences of commands run by other people while working together, but I
    > > >cannot just copy & paste them from the command window because most of
    > > >them "get lost" after some scrolling of lines, frequently because of
    > > >unimportant outputs such as warnings (which by the way I get a lot in
    > > >the project I am working on right now).

    > >
    > > You should find a file called "transcript" in the current working
    > > directory. If you're not sure where that is, simply issue the
    > > command "pwd" in the console to find out.
    > >
    > > The transcript logs everything that went to the console, but
    > > anything that is not a command - errors, etc - is prefixed
    > > by a # (comment) character in the transcript file, so you
    > > can use the transcript directly as a Tcl command script.
    > > Of course it's also easy to edit away those unwanted lines.
    > > --
    > > Jonathan Bromley, Consultant
    > >
    > > DOULOS - Developing Design Know-how
    > > VHDL * Verilog * SystemC * e * Perl * Tcl/Tk * Project Services
    > >
    > > Doulos Ltd., 22 Market Place, Ringwood, BH24 1AW, UK
    > >
    > > http://www.MYCOMPANY.com
    > >
    > > The contents of this message may contain personal views which
    > > are not the views of Doulos Ltd., unless specifically stated.
    chriskoh, Jan 15, 2007
    #4
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Henrik_the_boss
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    2,647
    Henrik_the_boss
    Nov 5, 2003
  2. Amratash
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    519
    Amratash
    Apr 13, 2004
  3. =?Utf-8?B?VG9tIFdpbmdlcnQ=?=

    My.Log.Writeexception not writing to Application Event Log.

    =?Utf-8?B?VG9tIFdpbmdlcnQ=?=, Jan 20, 2006, in forum: ASP .Net
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    2,371
    =?Utf-8?B?VG9tIFdpbmdlcnQ=?=
    Jan 20, 2006
  4. unomystEz
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    549
    unomystEz
    Nov 19, 2006
  5. vj
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    678
Loading...

Share This Page