    -a
    - the dalai lama
    , Mar 6, 2007

  2. wrote:

    > i think it was jim freeze that realased a gem for quickly building
    > commandline
    > applications, does anyone remember where it's gone too? i only found a
    > dead
    > project on rubyforge...
    >
    > thanks.
    >
    > -a

    This seems to have a downloadable gem:

    http://rubyforge.org/projects/optionparser/

    I've got that gem installed and the docs suggest that it includes the
    commandline app framework, but I haven't used it. The file
    commandline/application.rb is included, so that looks promising.

    Joel VanderWerf, Mar 6, 2007

  3. On Tue, Mar 06, 2007, wrote:
    > i think it was jim freeze that realased a gem for quickly building
    > commandline applications, does anyone remember where it's gone too? i
    > only found a dead project on rubyforge...

    You're not thinking of highline, are you?

    http://highline.rubyforge.org/

    I also know that I mentioned recently that I was working on one, but
    it's not released yet, sadly.

    Ben
    Ben Bleything, Mar 6, 2007

    On Tue, 6 Mar 2007, Joel VanderWerf wrote:

    > wrote:
    >>
    >> i think it was jim freeze that realased a gem for quickly building
    >> commandline
    >> applications, does anyone remember where it's gone too? i only found a
    >> dead
    >> project on rubyforge...
    >>
    >> thanks.
    >>
    >> -a

    > This seems to have a downloadable gem:
    >
    > http://rubyforge.org/projects/optionparser/
    >
    > I've got that gem installed and the docs suggest that it includes the
    > commandline app framework, but I haven't used it. The file
    > commandline/application.rb is included, so that looks promising.

    thanks a bunch joel - that's great!

    so - have rolled your own framework just like the rest of us? ;-)

    -a
    - the dalai lama
    , Mar 6, 2007

    On Tue, 6 Mar 2007, Ben Bleything wrote:

    > On Tue, Mar 06, 2007, wrote:
    >> i think it was jim freeze that realased a gem for quickly building
    >> commandline applications, does anyone remember where it's gone too? i
    >> only found a dead project on rubyforge...

    > You're not thinking of highline, are you?
    >
    > http://highline.rubyforge.org/

    nope, but thanks for reminding me of that! perfect for this talk...

    > I also know that I mentioned recently that I was working on one, but it's
    > not released yet, sadly.

    heh. i've got one too. sigh.

    -a
    - the dalai lama
    , Mar 6, 2007
  6. wrote:
    > On Tue, 6 Mar 2007, Joel VanderWerf wrote:
    >
    >> wrote:
    >>>
    >>> i think it was jim freeze that realased a gem for quickly building
    >>> commandline
    >>> applications, does anyone remember where it's gone too? i only found
    >>> a dead
    >>> project on rubyforge...
    >>>
    >>> thanks.
    >>>
    >>> -a

    >> This seems to have a downloadable gem:
    >>
    >> http://rubyforge.org/projects/optionparser/
    >>
    >> I've got that gem installed and the docs suggest that it includes the
    >> commandline app framework, but I haven't used it. The file
    >> commandline/application.rb is included, so that looks promising.

    > thanks a bunch joel - that's great!
    >
    > so - have rolled your own framework just like the rest of us? ;-)

    Nah, not me. I'd consider using this or highline (do they even solve the
    same problem?).

    Do you have plans to do a comparison and post the results?

    Joel VanderWerf, Mar 6, 2007

    On Tue, 6 Mar 2007, Joel VanderWerf wrote:

    >> so - have rolled your own framework just like the rest of us? ;-)

    > Nah, not me. I'd consider using this or highline (do they even solve the
    > same problem?).

    no. but commandline looks very nice. it didn't exist when i wrote mine (part
    of alib) or i would have used it.

    > Do you have plans to do a comparison and post the results?

    i'm doing a small one for a class as we speak. perhaps it'll motivate me to
    doccument mine!

    cheers.

    -a
    - the dalai lama
    , Mar 6, 2007
  8. gga Guest

    On 6 mar, 02:12, Joel VanderWerf <> wrote:
    > wrote:

    > >> This seems to have a downloadable gem:

    > >>http://rubyforge.org/projects/optionparser/

    > >> I've got that gem installed and the docs suggest that it includes the
    > >> commandline app framework, but I haven't used it. The file
    > >> commandline/application.rb is included, so that looks promising.

    > > thanks a bunch joel - that's great!

    > > so - have rolled your own framework just like the rest of us? ;-)

    > Nah, not me. I'd consider using this or highline (do they even solve the
    > same problem?).

    They don't. Highline is something unique. It allows the easy
    creation of command-line applications that ask you questions on a
    local machine, like Eliza.

    Commandline, on the other hand, is mainly a replacement/alternative to
    getopt or optparse. For that, there's also my port of Perl's
    Getopt::Declare: http://getoptdeclare.rubyforge.org/ -- Declare.rdoc
    for documentation.
    gga, Mar 6, 2007
  9. Jan Friedrich, Mar 6, 2007