    VBScript in ASP page, but it yields run time error.

    All I know is to use ' but this is very slow if I want to comment out a
    block? Any suggestions??

    Matthew Louden, Sep 19, 2003

  2. http://www.aspfaq.com/2179

    Aaron Bertrand [MVP], Sep 19, 2003

  3. Matthew Louden

    Bob Barrows Guest

    Matthew Louden wrote:
    > I want to know what's the convenient way to comment out a block in ASP
    > pages? I read a book, and I thought we can use /** */ to comment out
    > the VBScript in ASP page, but it yields run time error.
    >
    > All I know is to use ' but this is very slow if I want to comment out
    > a block? Any suggestions??

    If you're using Interdev, there is an free Add-in available from
    http://www.platformdev.com/ that allows you to comment/uncomment blocks,
    similar to the functionality in the VB IDE.

    HTH,
    Bob Barrows

    Bob Barrows, Sep 19, 2003
  4. Matthew Louden

    Evertjan. Guest

    Aaron Bertrand [MVP] wrote on 19 sep 2003 in
    > "Matthew Louden" <> wrote in message
    >> I want to know what's the convenient way to comment out a block in
    >> ASP pages? I read a book, and I thought we can use /** */ to comment
    >> out the VBScript in ASP page, but it yields run time error.
    >>
    >> All I know is to use ' but this is very slow if I want to comment out
    >> a block? Any suggestions??

    > http://www.aspfaq.com/2179

    Two very usefull tips in 2179, Aaron, though they only dependably work
    for correct code, and the reason for remarking out in a debug situation
    often is deselecting a faulty code.

    Suppose you have a spurious "end sub" or "end if" line inside that code ?

    =================================

    However there is another way,
    which most editors [like my EditPad] support:

    Select the block of code you want "remarked" including the line before
    and excluding part of the last line.
    Replace "selected only" all "newline"s with "newline" plus "' "

    Response.write "http://www.aspfaq.com/2179"
    Response.write "http://www.aspfaq.com/2179"
    Response.write "http://www.aspfaq.com/2179"
    Response.write "http://www.aspfaq.com/2179"

    will become:

    ' Response.write "http://www.aspfaq.com/2179"
    ' Response.write "http://www.aspfaq.com/2179"
    ' Response.write "http://www.aspfaq.com/2179"
    ' Response.write "http://www.aspfaq.com/2179"

    The reverse should be obvious.

    --
    Evertjan.
    The Netherlands.

    Evertjan., Sep 19, 2003
  5. Matthew Louden

    Adrienne Guest

    Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Matthew Louden"
    <> writing in news:u9RaRxjfDHA.2332
    @TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl:

    > I want to know what's the convenient way to comment out a block in ASP
    > pages? I read a book, and I thought we can use /** */ to comment out the
    > VBScript in ASP page, but it yields run time error.
    >
    > All I know is to use ' but this is very slow if I want to comment out a
    > block? Any suggestions??

    If you're using HTML-Kit [http://www.chami.com/html-kit] you can download
    a plug-in [http://www.chami.com/html-
    kit/plugins/info/frsvbstyleblockcomment/] that will do this for you. Just
    highlight the text, hit the button and it's all commented.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell
    http://www.arbpen.com

    Adrienne, Sep 19, 2003