comments and constructive criticism wanted

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by steven, Dec 30, 2004.

  1. steven

    steven Guest

    steven, Dec 30, 2004

  2. In article <JfQAd.14918$%-ops.be>,
    says...
    > http://www.nenya.be/41229-1/cal.htm
    >
    > (Only the calendar navigation links work)

    It's nice, but having the week/month/day navigation as you have is a
    PITA. Why not just make the days clickable? Have the week/month
    navigation in a more logical position.

    --
    Hywel http://kibo.org.uk/
    I do not eat quiche.

    Hywel Jenkins, Dec 30, 2004

  3. On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 09:54:49 GMT, steven <> wrote:

    > http://www.nenya.be/41229-1/cal.htm
    >
    > (Only the calendar navigation links work)

    Considering that majority of the work isn't yours, what precisely do you
    want critiqued?

    Aside from the problems that were pointed out in ciwas, the code clutters
    the global namespace. Reusable code like this would best be presented as
    an object, adhering to practices you'd expect for software development in
    general.

    Mike

    Please don't multi-post.
    <URL:http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/usenet/xpost.html>

    --
    Michael Winter

    Michael Winter, Dec 30, 2004
  4. steven

    steven Guest

    "Hywel Jenkins" <> wrote in message
    > In article <JfQAd.14918$%-ops.be>,
    > says...
    > > http://www.nenya.be/41229-1/cal.htm
    > >
    > > (Only the calendar navigation links work)
    > >

    > It's nice, but having the week/month/day navigation as you have is a
    > PITA. Why not just make the days clickable?

    Yeah, that's what I also said in the to-do section.

    > Have the week/month
    > navigation in a more logical position.

    Like above or below the calendar, you mean? I did have plain buttons for
    this purpose, but they didn't look very attractive; I may create bitmaps
    instead.
    Thanks for the comment.

    Steven

    steven, Dec 30, 2004
  5. In article <OBTAd.15206$-ops.be>,
    says...

    > "Hywel Jenkins" <> wrote in message
    > > In article <JfQAd.14918$%-ops.be>,
    > > says...
    > > > http://www.nenya.be/41229-1/cal.htm
    > > >
    > > > (Only the calendar navigation links work)
    > > >

    > > It's nice, but having the week/month/day navigation as you have is a
    > > PITA. Why not just make the days clickable?

    > Yeah, that's what I also said in the to-do section.
    >
    > > Have the week/month
    > > navigation in a more logical position.
    > >

    > Like above or below the calendar

    Yes. This way, perhaps the entire thing could be self-contained as
    Michael suggests.

    --
    Hywel http://kibo.org.uk/
    I do not eat quiche.

    Hywel Jenkins, Dec 30, 2004
  6. steven

    McKirahan Guest

    "steven" <> wrote in message

    > "Hywel Jenkins" <> wrote in message
    > > In article <JfQAd.14918$%-ops.be>,
    > > says...
    > > > http://www.nenya.be/41229-1/cal.htm
    > > >
    > > > (Only the calendar navigation links work)
    > > >

    > > It's nice, but having the week/month/day navigation as you have is a
    > > PITA. Why not just make the days clickable?

    > Yeah, that's what I also said in the to-do section.
    >
    > > Have the week/month
    > > navigation in a more logical position.
    > >

    > Like above or below the calendar, you mean? I did have plain buttons for
    > this purpose, but they didn't look very attractive; I may create bitmaps
    > instead.
    > Thanks for the comment.
    >
    > Steven

    "<<", "<", ">", and ">>" are often used to go to previous year, previous
    month, next month, and next year, respectively; no images needed.

    Also, I would right justify (followed by " &nbsp; ") the day numbers.

    Why the minus sign before each week?

    McKirahan, Dec 30, 2004
  7. steven

    steven Guest

    "McKirahan" <> wrote in message
    > "steven" <> wrote in message
    > >

    > "<<", "<", ">", and ">>" are often used to go to previous year, previous
    > month, next month, and next year, respectively; no images needed.
    >
    > Also, I would right justify (followed by " &nbsp; ") the day numbers.
    >
    > Why the minus sign before each week?

    ISO-8601 "week only of the implied year". But I admit that it's a bit
    confusing. I may change it to this other ISO-8601 format "year and week only
    in the implied century": YYWww (e.g. "04W52").
    Thanks for the reply.

    Steven

    steven, Dec 30, 2004