    Thanks,

    Mike Gillis
    www.Search24-7.com

    www.Search24-7.com, Feb 20, 2004

  2. Quoth the raven named www.Search24-7.com:

    > I am working on a project site. The url is www.search24-7.com. I
    > am looking for feedback (both negative and positive). I am new
    > here

    Please don't multi-post. If you want a critique, you'll get answers in
    alt.html.critique where you posted this same message. Thanks.

    --
    -bts
    -This space intentionally left blank.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Feb 20, 2004

  3. "www.Search24-7.com" <> wrote in message news:<8ScZb.100717$>...
    > I am working on a project site. The url is www.search24-7.com. I am
    > looking for feedback (both negative and positive). I am new here and want
    > to learn ways to drive traffic, improve my rank etc. My site is only 25%
    > complete. I do not have any SEO techniques and am very much open to any
    > sort of constructive criticism. I know I am very much a newbie, but I hope
    > to make some friends here to help me along my way and to become my mentor.

    The colours are pretty dreary. It looks ilke one of those dodgy
    "search engines" you get to when you mis-type a domain.

    The "previous" and "next" buttons appear even though there's nothing
    in your database at the moment.

    The links along the top have spaces before the keyword.

    I'd change "Related Keywords" to "Related Searches" because those that
    appear at the moment look more structured that simple keywords.

    The search results' pages don't carry any branding, and the "Home"
    button is a bit out of the way.

    There's nothing behind the site is there? No server-side processing
    or database at the moment. If you are a "newbie", and you want this
    done properly, you're out of your depth.

    The page has horizontal scrolling at 800x600, and is even worse at
    640x480.

    Does the world really need another search engine? What is your PPC
    policy? You're nowhere near the "World's #1 PPC Engine". Why would I
    bother paying to be listed with you? What does Google mean to your
    business? What does Yahoo! mean to it? Dogpile? DMoz?

    --
    Hywel

    Hywel Jenkins, Feb 20, 2004
  4. www.Search24-7.com

    Cameron Guest

    Hywel Jenkins wrote:
    <snip>

    > There's nothing behind the site is there? No server-side processing
    > or database at the moment. If you are a "newbie", and you want this
    > done properly, you're out of your depth.

    <snip>

    I agree with you on the rest but how do you figure that there is no
    server side processing?

    ~Cameron

    Cameron, Feb 20, 2004
  5. Toby A Inkster, Feb 20, 2004
  6. www.Search24-7.com

    Cameron Guest

    Toby A Inkster wrote:
    > Hywel Jenkins wrote:
    >

    >>www.search24-7.com

    > Didn't see the OP.
    >
    > What is PPC? PowerPC? You don't seem to clarify.
    >
    > Spot the "deliberate" error:
    > http://www.search24-7.com/SearchResults.html?keyword=Uvinersity
    >
    > Mainly: why would anyone choose to use your search engine over, say,
    > Google or Teoma? What is special about you? And why isn't this special
    > quality spelt out in big bold letters on your front page?

    At a very wild guess I would say PPC = Pay Per Click

    ~Cameron

    Cameron, Feb 20, 2004
  7. Thanks for the advice. This is a pet project to keep me occupied these
    days. I am not looking to compete with google obviously. Just something I
    threw together. The search results page is not complete. Again it is just
    thrown together, but I appreciate the advice and comments.

    www.Search24-7.com, Feb 20, 2004
  8. I am not looking to compete with anyone really. just looking for ways to
    make it a little popular. If I get 1000 uniques a day I'd be happy.

    www.Search24-7.com, Feb 20, 2004
  9. I have checked the horizontal scrolling and it doesn't appear to be a
    problem with 800x600. I was told to do a site that avoids scrollbars
    (horizontal ) with 800x600 or 1024x768. I will look into this though.
    Thanks again.

    www.Search24-7.com, Feb 20, 2004
  10. www.Search24-7.com

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <D3nZb.100953$>, Search247
    @ns.sympatico.ca says...
    > Thanks for the advice. This is a pet project to keep me occupied these
    > days. I am not looking to compete with google obviously....

    Why not? Isn't that putting limitations on what you can accomplish?

    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com

    Whitecrest, Feb 20, 2004
  11. www.Search24-7.com

    Hywel Guest

    In article <c14fd6$rpf$>, lid says...
    > Hywel Jenkins wrote:
    > <snip>
    > >
    > > There's nothing behind the site is there? No server-side processing
    > > or database at the moment. If you are a "newbie", and you want this
    > > done properly, you're out of your depth.

    > <snip>
    >
    > I agree with you on the rest but how do you figure that there is no
    > server side processing?

    Try doing a search. The text that says "Search Results: keywords here"
    is done with JavaScript, or at least it was when I looked this morning.
    To be fair to the site owner, they've put a shed-load of stuff on there
    since I last looked - every page was empty then.

    --
    Hywel I do not eat quiche
    http://kibo.org.uk/

    Hywel, Feb 20, 2004
  12. "Whitecrest" <> wrote in message
    > In article <D3nZb.100953$>, Search247
    > @ns.sympatico.ca says...
    > > Thanks for the advice. This is a pet project to keep me occupied these
    > > days. I am not looking to compete with google obviously....

    > Why not? Isn't that putting limitations on what you can accomplish?
    >
    > --
    > Whitecrest Entertainment
    > www.whitecrestent.com

    I agree, but I am a newbie, but will learn. Thanks to all for their
    comments.

    www.Search24-7.com, Feb 20, 2004