comments needed

www.Search24-7.com

I am working on a project site. The url is www.search24-7.com. I am
looking for feedback (both negative and positive). I am new here and want
to learn ways to drive traffic, improve my rank etc. My site is only 25%
complete. I do not have any SEO techniques and am very much open to any
sort of constructive criticism. I know I am very much a newbie, but I hope
to make some friends here to help me along my way and to become my mentor.

Thanks,

Mike Gillis
www.Search24-7.com

Hywel Jenkins

www.Search24-7.com said:
I am working on a project site. The url is www.search24-7.com. I am
looking for feedback (both negative and positive). I am new here and want
to learn ways to drive traffic, improve my rank etc. My site is only 25%
complete. I do not have any SEO techniques and am very much open to any
sort of constructive criticism. I know I am very much a newbie, but I hope
to make some friends here to help me along my way and to become my mentor.

The colours are pretty dreary. It looks ilke one of those dodgy
"search engines" you get to when you mis-type a domain.

The "previous" and "next" buttons appear even though there's nothing
in your database at the moment.

The links along the top have spaces before the keyword.

I'd change "Related Keywords" to "Related Searches" because those that
appear at the moment look more structured that simple keywords.

The search results' pages don't carry any branding, and the "Home"
button is a bit out of the way.

There's nothing behind the site is there? No server-side processing
or database at the moment. If you are a "newbie", and you want this
done properly, you're out of your depth.

The page has horizontal scrolling at 800x600, and is even worse at
640x480.

Does the world really need another search engine? What is your PPC
policy? You're nowhere near the "World's #1 PPC Engine". Why would I
bother paying to be listed with you? What does Google mean to your
business? What does Yahoo! mean to it? Dogpile? DMoz?

Cameron

Hywel Jenkins wrote:
There's nothing behind the site is there? No server-side processing
or database at the moment. If you are a "newbie", and you want this
done properly, you're out of your depth.
<snip>

I agree with you on the rest but how do you figure that there is no
server side processing?

~Cameron

Cameron

Toby said:
Hywel Jenkins wrote:

Didn't see the OP.

What is PPC? PowerPC? You don't seem to clarify.

Spot the "deliberate" error:
http://www.search24-7.com/SearchResults.html?keyword=Uvinersity

Mainly: why would anyone choose to use your search engine over, say,
Google or Teoma? What is special about you? And why isn't this special
quality spelt out in big bold letters on your front page?

At a very wild guess I would say PPC = Pay Per Click

~Cameron

www.Search24-7.com

Thanks for the advice. This is a pet project to keep me occupied these
days. I am not looking to compete with google obviously. Just something I
threw together. The search results page is not complete. Again it is just
thrown together, but I appreciate the advice and comments.

www.Search24-7.com

I am not looking to compete with anyone really. just looking for ways to
make it a little popular. If I get 1000 uniques a day I'd be happy.

www.Search24-7.com

I have checked the horizontal scrolling and it doesn't appear to be a
problem with 800x600. I was told to do a site that avoids scrollbars
(horizontal ) with 800x600 or 1024x768. I will look into this though.
Thanks again.

Whitecrest

Search247 said:
Thanks for the advice. This is a pet project to keep me occupied these
days. I am not looking to compete with google obviously....

Why not? Isn't that putting limitations on what you can accomplish?

Hywel

Hywel Jenkins wrote:

<snip>

I agree with you on the rest but how do you figure that there is no
server side processing?

Try doing a search. The text that says "Search Results: keywords here"
is done with JavaScript, or at least it was when I looked this morning.
To be fair to the site owner, they've put a shed-load of stuff on there
since I last looked - every page was empty then.

www.Search24-7.com

Whitecrest said:
Why not? Isn't that putting limitations on what you can accomplish?

I agree, but I am a newbie, but will learn. Thanks to all for their
comments.