comments needed

Rajat Chadda

We are asked to write a library (component) that will manage a list of
users. The library will contain the following user information:
userid, first
name, last name, and password. The users information has to be
persistent.
Our library will allow a user of the library to create accounts. Then
query can be made to get the user's first name or last name. To verify
password, a userid and password is given. The password is stored in a
way that others will not be able to decipher what the password is by
visually inspecting the storage.

How should we go about implementing this library? What are your design
thoughts?

Gianni Mariani

Rajat said:
We are asked to write a library (component) that will manage a list of
users. The library will contain the following user information:
userid, first
name, last name, and password. The users information has to be
persistent.
Our library will allow a user of the library to create accounts. Then
query can be made to get the user's first name or last name. To verify
password, a userid and password is given. The password is stored in a
way that others will not be able to decipher what the password is by
visually inspecting the storage.

How should we go about implementing this library? What are your design
thoughts?

class User;
class ListOfUsers;

Chris Theis

Rajat Chadda said:
We are asked to write a library (component) that will manage a list of
users. The library will contain the following user information:
userid, first
name, last name, and password. The users information has to be
persistent.
Our library will allow a user of the library to create accounts. Then
query can be made to get the user's first name or last name. To verify
password, a userid and password is given. The password is stored in a
way that others will not be able to decipher what the password is by
visually inspecting the storage.

How should we go about implementing this library? What are your design
thoughts?

Well, how would you go on implementing this library? Here's the deal, give
some ideas of yourself and I (and most probably others) will give you my
thoughts about it.

Cheers
Chris

Jorge Rivera

Rajat said:
We are asked to write a library (component) that will manage a list of
users. The library will contain the following user information: ....
query can be made to get the user's first name or last name. To verify ....

How should we go about implementing this library? What are your design
thoughts?

All this suggests that you are well served by the zillions of databases
on the universe. Why would you want to implement something that exists
so abundantly is beyond my understanding....

If you really this to be really small, then maybe... Still, your post
just points to serializing data into a file, read it back, create a map
of entries in which the userid is the key. How to securely store your
data you have to come up with yourself...