Comments on Python Redesign

Discussion in 'Python' started by Tim Parkin, Sep 7, 2003.

  1. Tim Parkin

    Tim Parkin Guest

    Terry Ready said:
    > YUCK< YUCK< YUCK.
    > <snip>
    > The pollenation site is one of the worst I have seen. The mockup page
    > has teeny type that IE will not enlarge.
    > <snip>
    > I care that the site remain physically readable and that it remain a
    > vehicle for information rather than childish egos.
    > <snip>
    > Using IE6, I need a magnifying glass
    > to read this page. This is done in the arrogant style of 'we know
    > better than you what type size you should have'. Also known as the
    > 'control the user experience' school. Awful. For me, one of the
    > worse pages I have ever seen. Anti-Pythonic.
    >
    > > interior page:

    > Only slightly better. The low contrast gray-on-gray comments page is
    > also barely readable. (Others reported the same.) For my
    > less-than-perfect 50+ year-old eyes, it is physically the WORST
    > comments page I have ever seen. It is a case study in
    > anti-accessibility design. The person responsible should not touch
    > our site.

    Perhaps the people who have commented on the site should realise it's a
    proposal and a work in progress. As constructive comments go the only
    feedback I have gathered is that the fonts are too small and the
    contrast is
    a little low. I've adjusted contrast on key elements and also increased
    the
    font size. These pages are here :

    http://pollenation.net/assets/public/python-main-2.html
    http://pollenation.net/assets/public/python-interior-2.html

    also bearing in mind that the html page will be accessible and hence
    allow
    text resizing here is a sample of +1 text size.

    http://pollenation.net/assets/public/python-main-2larger.html
    http://pollenation.net/assets/public/python-interior-2larger.html

    Also, Terry, the design was an 'image', a 'mockup', a 'png' to be
    specific,
    it did not dictate font size. As far as accessibility is concerned, the
    only
    problem was the contrast and the font size both of which I've changed as
    agree they were too low and too small respectively.

    Although I agree that the font size should be bigger, the current site
    is
    not an exemplar of accessibility. The following example taken from the
    interior page I have shown.The first is in comparison with my original
    design, the second show a comparison with the amendments showing normal
    and
    +1 font sizing. (the text on my samples may benefit from increasing the
    line
    height using css)

    http://pollenation.net/assets/public/python-text-comparison-new.gif
    http://pollenation.net/assets/public/python-text-comparison.gif

    As a side note, I haven't been to any school of 'control the user
    experience'. Furthermore I think making comments such as accusing me of
    having a 'childish ego' and being 'arrogant' are IMO extremely
    disrespectful
    and I would appreciate an apology. I am quite hurt and dissapointed to
    see
    such coments on what I had considered a respectable forum for discussion
    although I'm sure they are not representative.

    Tim Parkin

    Terry:
    > I otherwise do not have too much concern about particulars and

    therefore

    Tim Parkin, Sep 7, 2003