Comments requested: brief summary of Perl

Discussion in 'Perl' started by Adam Barr, Feb 22, 2004.

  1. Adam Barr

    Adam Barr Guest

    For a book I am working on, I have written a brief (13 page) summary
    of Perl. The intent of this is that an experienced programmer who did
    not know Perl would be able to get enough information to read and
    understand Perl programs. It is not meant to be a 100% complete
    summary of the language, but everything in there should be correct.

    If anyone is interested, please feel free to read it and send me
    comments. Note that the material is copyrighted, this document is
    provided for review only, and the ideas contained in any comments may
    be used in the book, in whole or in part, with no rights granted to
    the person who provided the comments. I will however acknowledge by
    name (if desired) anyone who sends comments.

    The information is in PDF form per my publisher's request, but if this
    is a problem for anyone, email me and I can send it to you in plain
    text.

    The file is at

    http://www.proudlyserving.com/language/perl.pdf

    I have written similar summaries for other languages and will
    hopefully post them in the appropriate newsgroups in the next few
    days.

    Thank you.

    - Adam Barr
    Adam Barr, Feb 22, 2004

  2. Adam Barr

    Guest

    (Adam Barr) wrote in message news:<>...
    > For a book I am working on, I have written a brief (13 page) summary
    > of Perl. The intent of this is that an experienced programmer who did
    > not know Perl would be able to get enough information to read and
    > understand Perl programs. It is not meant to be a 100% complete
    > summary of the language, but everything in there should be correct.

    I have found a few whopping errors.

    A lot of smaller errors.

    A few things that are, pedantically speaking, true but misleading.

    I also have several comments about what's relevant given the brief "an
    experienced programmer who did not know Perl would be able to get
    enough information to read and understand Perl programs."

    I won't waste effort going into details in a newsgroup that does not
    exist (see FAQ).

    If you really want any response then try posting to one of the
    newsgroups that replaced comp.lang.perl.

    However before you do so you would do well to look at the experiences
    of previous people who have requested comments on their brief
    summaries of Perl.

    The most recent that I can recall is:

    http://tinyurl.com/yq5gc

    > If anyone is interested, please feel free to read it and send me
    > comments. Note that the material is copyrighted, this document is
    > provided for review only, and the ideas contained in any comments may
    > be used in the book, in whole or in part, with no rights granted to
    > the person who provided the comments. I will however acknowledge by
    > name (if desired) anyone who sends comments.

    Since nobody expects this to be a book that is of beniefit to the Perl
    community you probably shouldn't expect much free help. Maybe you
    should hire a Perl consultant on an hourly rate. Alternatively you
    could send some beer vouchers to one of the Perl mongers groups and
    get them to tear it appart in the pub.
    , Feb 24, 2004