Commercial or Famous Applicattions.?

Discussion in 'Python' started by Jorge Biquez, Nov 9, 2010.

  1. Jorge Biquez

    Jorge Biquez Guest

    Hello all.

    Newbie question. Sorry.

    Can you mention applications/systems/solutions made with Python that
    are well known and used by public in general? ANd that maybe we do
    not know they are done with Python?

    I had a talk with a friend, "PHP-Only-Fan", and he said (you know the
    schema of those talks) that "his" language is better and that "just
    to prove it" there are not too many applications done with Python
    than the ones done with PHP and that "that of course is for
    something". That conversation , that by the way I guess is useless at
    all , makes me thing the idea of ask of applications done with
    Python. Not for debate the argument of that guy BUT to learn what can
    be done with Python. In grphical interface, schemas of jobs, etc. I
    know that there are tons of solutions but would like to hear of
    possible about the ones you have used most or recommend the most.

    As an example, I love and have used in the last years MAILMAN, never
    crashed, always works even on my small and old Intel Pentium III with
    a 10GB hard disk and 640KB of RAM. Still working and will work for
    sure (running under FreeBsd by the way).

    Thanks in advance for your comments.

    Jorge Biquez
    Jorge Biquez, Nov 9, 2010

  2. Jorge Biquez

    alex23 Guest

    Jorge Biquez <> wrote:
    > Can you mention applications/systems/solutions made with Python that
    > are well known and used by public in general? ANd that maybe we do
    > not know they are done with Python?

    http://python.org/about/success/

    This comes up semi-regularly so you might be able to find more
    examples in past threads.
    alex23, Nov 9, 2010

  3. Jorge Biquez

    rantingrick Guest

    Commenting on which language is better than "this one" or which
    language boasts the most achievements is nothing more than time very
    poorly spent. Some people will find Python to be the best thing since
    sliced bread (and i am one of them!), however others will find Python
    to be the worst language they ever used (thankfully very few!). These
    are nothing more than personal opinions and you must leave them at
    that level. Because as they say...

    "Opinions are like sphincters -- everybody has at least one"

    .... or something like that i suppose :)
    rantingrick, Nov 9, 2010
  4. Jorge Biquez

    Seebs Guest

    On 2010-11-09, rantingrick <> wrote:
    > Commenting on which language is better than "this one" or which
    > language boasts the most achievements is nothing more than time very
    > poorly spent.

    This is mostly true, but I don't think it's entirely true.

    It is certainly possible for someone else's language choices to
    affect me (if I get called in to fix their code). And as a result, I do
    try to do at least a little language advocacy. Specifically, I try to
    steer people away from PHP. I can live with just about everything else.

    -s
    Seebs, Nov 9, 2010
  5. Jorge Biquez

    rantingrick Guest

    On Nov 8, 6:43 pm, Seebs <> wrote:
    > On 2010-11-09, rantingrick <> wrote:

    > It is certainly possible for someone else's language choices to
    > affect me (if I get called in to fix their code).  And as a result, I do
    > try to do at least a little language advocacy.  Specifically, I try to
    > steer people away from PHP.  I can live with just about everything else..

    True and i agree with your statements however i was alluding more to
    the fact that there exist no true winner in the battle of languages.
    Just as there exists no winners in the battle of composers. You can
    say "Hey this of group of talented fellows really shines above the
    rest". However you can NEVER say that "This specific fellow shines
    above the group of talented fellows". Can you compare the expansive
    depth and melodic genius of Chopin to the explosive (almost vengeful!)
    energy of Ludwig van Beethoven? How how about Rachmaninoff to Liszt?
    But yea i must agree... PHP... :p"
    rantingrick, Nov 9, 2010
  6. In message <>, Jorge
    Biquez wrote:

    > ... there are not too many applications done with Python
    > than the ones done with PHP ...

    PHP is only used for server-side Web applications, nothing else. Python is
    used for lots of things, on and off the Web.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 9, 2010
  7. Jorge Biquez

    Kevin Walzer Guest

    On 11/8/10 7:18 PM, Jorge Biquez wrote:
    > Hello all.
    >
    > Newbie question. Sorry.
    >
    > Can you mention applications/systems/solutions made with Python that are
    > well known and used by public in general? ANd that maybe we do not know
    > they are done with Python?

    There are several on the Mac:

    Checkout, a POS program:
    http://checkoutapp.com/

    EagleFiler, a file organizer:
    http://c-command.com/eaglefiler/

    Phynchronicity, a GUI for Fink package manager:
    http://www.codebykevin.com/phynchronicity.html

    QuickWho, a whois search tool:
    http://www.codebykevin.com/quickwho.html

    I'm also sure there are others that I'm not aware of.

    --Kevin

    --
    Kevin Walzer
    Code by Kevin
    Kevin Walzer, Nov 9, 2010
  8. On 2010-11-09, Jorge Biquez <> wrote:

    > Can you mention applications/systems/solutions made with Python that
    > are well known and used by public in general? ANd that maybe we do
    > not know they are done with Python?

    I'm not sure how much the "public in general" knows about it, but one
    I ran across recently is OpenERP:

    http://www.openerp.com/

    It's a complete CRM/purchasing/HR/Accouting/Inventory/etc. system for
    businesses.

    Other programs I've used that I noticed were written in Python:

    Freevo (PVR/DVR HTPC media center)

    bittorrent (the original apps)

    RedHat's installer and some admin utils.

    Gentoos "emerge" build system.

    meld (source code diff/merge tool)

    skencil (vector drafting program)

    bitpim (cellphone data synch app)

    PyNeighborhood (network neighborhood browser)

    I'm sure there are dozens more that I've used and never realized they
    were written in Python.

    Last time I checked IBM/Lenovo computers all came with Python
    installed, since some of the pre-installed admin/maintenance stuff is
    written in Python.

    --
    Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! Are we live or on
    at tape?
    Grant Edwards, Nov 9, 2010