Commercial web site hosting and domain name

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Richard, Oct 5, 2004.

  1. Richard

    Richard Guest

    Hi,

    I am planning to build a web site with a lot of fun content on cats
    (with Flash games, Flash animations, Photoshop art, painting, drawing, etc.)
    and later on add a little online store to it. Could you give me the name of
    a good, cheap and reliable web hosting company? Do I have to do business
    with a company in my country (I live in Canada) or can I take any company in
    the world?

    Secondly, where can I find a good and cheap domain name?

    My web site will be first of all a hobby to explore and show my arts
    and I don't expect to make much money soon with it. This is why I would
    like to have something not too costly.

    Thanks,

    Richard

    Richard, Oct 5, 2004

  2. Richard

    mark | r Guest

    fasthosts.co.uk

    good. cheap, 24/7 telephone support

    mark

    mark | r, Oct 5, 2004

  3. On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 09:38:16 -0400, Richard wrote:

    > My web site will be first of all a hobby to explore and show my arts
    > and I don't expect to make much money soon with it. This is why I would
    > like to have something not too costly.

    There are as many cheap hosts are there are grains of sand on the beaches
    of mexico. Well, maybe a few less, but you get the idea. Also, a domain
    name can cost you less than $15US/year these days.

    How do you access the internet currently? ISP? University account?
    Work? Many ISP's provide some amount of web space to their subscribers --
    included in the account. I know my provider does (Speakeasy.net). Ask your
    current provider.

    Yahoo, among others, will give you a small amount of free space if you
    don't mind dealing with ads on your site. This may be fine initially if
    you are just learning how the process of setting up a website works.

    And finally, on your home computer you can set up a web server and
    learn web design at home. No one will be able to access it except you on
    your home computer, but it is a good way to learn the nuts and bolts of
    the web. (I recommend Apache for this task -- it (1) is the most popular
    web server on the WWW, (2) will run on anything (Windows, Mac, Linux,
    BeOS, your PDA), and, (3) free of charge.)

    later..

    --
    Jeffrey D. Silverman |
    Website | http://www.newtnotes.com

    Drop "PANTS" to reply by email

    Jeffrey Silverman, Oct 5, 2004
  4. Richard

    Philip Ronan Guest

    34sp.com are pretty good value

    --
    Philip Ronan

    Philip Ronan, Oct 5, 2004
  5. Richard

    SpaceGirl Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am planning to build a web site with a lot of fun content on cats
    > (with Flash games, Flash animations, Photoshop art, painting, drawing, etc.)
    > and later on add a little online store to it. Could you give me the name of
    > a good, cheap and reliable web hosting company? Do I have to do business
    > with a company in my country (I live in Canada) or can I take any company in
    > the world?
    >
    > Secondly, where can I find a good and cheap domain name?

    www.easycgi.com - based in the US but really superb for just a few £ a
    month. Domains start at £5 a year. We use them for all of our commercial
    and private sites.

    --

    x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

    SpaceGirl, Oct 5, 2004
  6. Richard wrote:
    :: Hi,
    ::
    :: I am planning to build a web site with a lot of fun content on
    :: cats (with Flash games, Flash animations, Photoshop art, painting,
    :: drawing, etc.) and later on add a little online store to it. Could
    :: you give me the name of a good, cheap and reliable web hosting
    :: company? Do I have to do business with a company in my country (I
    :: live in Canada) or can I take any company in the world?
    ::
    :: Secondly, where can I find a good and cheap domain name?
    ::
    :: My web site will be first of all a hobby to explore and show
    :: my arts and I don't expect to make much money soon with it. This is
    :: why I would like to have something not too costly.
    ::
    :: Thanks,
    ::
    :: Richard

    Hi Richard,
    Jeffrey made a great suggestion. I have been using a server package on
    my computer for a while now to construct, test, and modify my site and my
    blog without having to go to the hosting site. When it is the way I like it
    and the changes have proved to work, then I FTP it to the hosting servers. I
    currently use hostingforabuck.com . I had a little trouble a while back, but
    they have moved to better servers and it works great for me. They have
    MySQL, PhpMyAdmin, and it's very simple to set up a site. I got my domain
    names at GoDaddy.com. Best prices, no hassle, free forwarding, free parking,
    etc.

    The web server I put on my computer was Easy Web Server v1.5 from here
    http://www.hotscripts.com/Detailed/36132.html . I downloaded v 1.5 and it
    has everything you need. PHP, MySQL, Apache, perl(mini) --That's not Minnie
    Pearl, BTW --. There is a v 1.6 there, too, but I haven't bothered to
    upgrade. What I have works. Very easy install. Download the .exe file --
    Click on it.It has PhpMyAdmin, too. I tried several other server packages,
    but they were all much more complex. I like easy. Good luck.

    Stephen
    http://www.stephenfox.us/
    blog: http://www.stephenfox.us/wp/

    Stephen T. Fox, Oct 5, 2004
  7. Richard

    Richard Guest

    "Richard" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am planning to build a web site with a lot of fun content on cats
    > (with Flash games, Flash animations, Photoshop art, painting, drawing,
    > etc.) and later on add a little online store to it. Could you give me the
    > name of a good, cheap and reliable web hosting company? Do I have to do
    > business with a company in my country (I live in Canada) or can I take any
    > company in the world?
    >
    > Secondly, where can I find a good and cheap domain name?
    >
    > My web site will be first of all a hobby to explore and show my arts
    > and I don't expect to make much money soon with it. This is why I would
    > like to have something not too costly.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Richard

    Thank you everybody for the good advices and links.

    Richard

    Richard, Oct 5, 2004
  8. On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 20:55:47 +0000, Stephen T. Fox wrote:

    > The web server I put on my computer was Easy Web Server v1.5 from here
    > http://www.hotscripts.com/Detailed/36132.html .

    Nice. Didn't know about that one. (But I use Linux exclusively). I'll
    recommend it to windows users.

    Jeffrey Silverman, Oct 5, 2004
  9. Richard

    Scott Guest

    Re: Commercial web site hosting and free domain name reviews and recommendations

    Hi Richard,

    Try a low-cost web host. You can find reviews at

    http://www.SterlingReport.com/web-hosting-reviews.html

    The also have cool and inexpensive web site design templates on the
    homepage that include the Photoshop files and HTML files for about
    $60.

    I have several sites hosted with various of the providers they list
    and they're quite reliable, provide a lot of bandwidth, etc. and the
    top host provides 24/7 customer support, free domain registration,
    etc.

    Hope this helps!

    Scott.

    Scott, Oct 7, 2004
  10. Richard

    Joshua Stine Guest

    I use www.utango.com 24/7 support, good prices, good service.

    Joshua Stine, Nov 23, 2004
  11. in alt.html, Joshua Stine wrote:
    > I use www.utango.com 24/7 support, good prices, good service.

    You already posted your opinion, twice. It looks like you are spamming.
    And don't top post. If that ISP has this clueless client, I don't
    recommend using it. He might spam all over, and whole isp could be cut
    out the internet.

    Lauri Raittila, Nov 23, 2004