    Many thanks in advance!

    Aaron Fude

    , Jan 7, 2005

  2. The MS jvm running on Win 95 - Win XP is still very common. I believe
    it may be JDK 1.0 (or 1.1). But I know it does not have Swing.

    Missaka Wijekoon, Jan 8, 2005

    Deffinitely off topic, but how many users would I be cutting off?

    Also, I'm obnoxiously assuming if the answer is X, then only about
    0.01X of them are capable of using an interactive website anyway.

    , Jan 8, 2005
  4. On 7 Jan 2005 13:42:25 -0800, wrote:

    > If I want to have an embedded applet ..

    Embedded in what?

    >..that can be used by as many users as possible ..

    1.1

    A 1.1 compatible applet will run on the MSVM 1.1.4, Symantec 1.1.5,
    Sun 1.1.8, as well browsers as running Java 1.2, 1.3, 1.4 or 1.5.

    >..is it still pretty much necessary to go with Java 1.1?

    Your words "as many users as possible" makes it a foregone conclusion.

    --
    Andrew Thompson

    Andrew Thompson, Jan 8, 2005
  5. On 7 Jan 2005 21:24:37 -0800, wrote:

    > Deffinitely off topic, ..

    Why would you say that? 'Java version useage in browsers'
    seems perfectly on topic to me.

    >...but how many users would I be cutting off?

    But that is where it gets tricky. I do not believe there
    are any accurate figures available.

    More people every day are moving to Linux or other OS',
    or other Windows browsers.

    There is a constant flow of visitors to my site to get a tool[1] that
    *removes* the MSVM, and JVMClean[1] only works under Sun Java.

    [1] <http://www.physci.org/jvmclean.jsp>

    But I feel you are pursuing the wrong strategy in attempting to
    guess how many 1.1 users remain. You also do not have to
    limit yourself to 1.1.

    Instead, I suggest you set-up your applet and HTML to ensure the user..
    - has the required Java, or..
    - it is installed for them, or..
    - they are informed as to what is going wrong.

    That is the best way to approach this problem (and it is
    what I do on my own sites)

    --
    Andrew Thompson

    Andrew Thompson, Jan 8, 2005