Common JavaScript Framework

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by SL at fecondcarcan dot com, Jan 9, 2004.

  1. Hello,

    One of the great annoyances I have with JavaScript is the lack of a good
    consistent code library. Oh, there are a few code libraries scattered
    around for doing various things. The problem is that each of them have
    their own way of doing things. If we want to use more than one library
    at a time, we often end up duplicating code and working with different
    interfaces and practices that aren't necessarily compatible with each
    other...

    So... isn't it about time that we have a Common JavaScript Framework?

    I'm thinking of a standardised code library, mostly (but not entirely)
    built from the free code that is already out there. (I'm thinking of a
    LGPL core with independantly licensed extensions.)

    I know of a few very cool projects that aim to make JavaScript
    development easier, more professional and to bridge the gap between
    browsers and environments. (To name a few: DynAPI, DOMAPI, Sarissa,
    13th parallels' library, netWindows, bindows, ActiveUI, f(m).) But I
    don't know of any effort to bring all of these features into one common
    framework. Can we do anything about this?

    I'm not exactly proposing that we form a group to design and implement a
    complete framework. I just think that, us, JavaScript developers should
    talk to each other more and agree on a few things. Then, I imagine
    being able to access this centralized, well designed library that is
    ready for serious (and less serious) development and the dream goes on...

    I have been working with JS (client and server) for some years now and
    I'd like to bring more consistency to my code and spend less time
    writing lower level code. So I may be writing this email more out of
    wishful thinking than determined action. In any ways, I remain
    interested to support any effort that would lead me to better, well
    designed, programming.

    Any thoughts? Actions?

    --
    SL (sl at fecondcarcan dot com)

    Please reply to this newsgroup since all email directed to
    will be automatically removed in a few hours.
    SL at fecondcarcan dot com, Jan 9, 2004

  2. SL at fecondcarcan dot com

    Jim Ley Guest

    On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 15:06:14 -0500, SL at fecondcarcan dot com
    <> wrote:

    >So... isn't it about time that we have a Common JavaScript Framework?

    Not really, libraries are pretty inappropriate to web authoring, and
    as there's only a few tens of people capable of authoring such things,
    all of them likely too busy on other things to do it, and even then
    the sheer scope would mean you'd have a lot of people with a huge
    amount of code to do what for most uses would be wholly irrelevant.

    So without that investment you'd now just end up with one common heap
    of crap.

    >I know of a few very cool projects that aim to make JavaScript
    >development easier, more professional and to bridge the gap between
    >browsers and environments. (To name a few: DynAPI, DOMAPI, Sarissa,
    >13th parallels' library, netWindows, bindows, ActiveUI, f(m).) But I
    >don't know of any effort to bring all of these features into one common
    >framework. Can we do anything about this?

    Well, you'd need to bring them all up to a professional standard
    first, some are better than other of course, but none carry a
    professional badge, by my meaning.

    Jim.
    Jim Ley, Jan 10, 2004