Common practice for multiple python versions sharing 3rd party modules

Discussion in 'Python' started by Daniel Fetchinson, Apr 9, 2011.

  1. Hi folks,

    In order to test my own modules with various python versions I've
    installed python 2.4, 2.5, 2.6, 2.7, 3.1, 3.2. The original
    installation on my fedora box was 2.6 and all 3rd party modules so far
    were installed under /usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages. Since now the
    executable 'python' points to python 2.7 and lot of programs have
    #!/usr/bin/env python at the top, these programs try to use 2.7. But
    there are no 3rd party modules installed for 2.7 so programs that need
    these do not run. Of course I can just replace #!/usr/bin/env python
    with #!/usr/bin/env python2.6 but doing so for all programs would be a
    pain.

    Also, once I have a 3rd party module installed in
    /usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages I wouldn't want to copy all of these
    to /usr/lib/pythonX.Y/site-packages (assuming they are compatible with
    pythonX.Y).

    What would be the most common practice for having a single location
    for 3rd party modules and all python versions could have access to
    them?

    Cheers,
    Daniel

    Daniel Fetchinson, Apr 9, 2011