Communicating delta's of an XML document from client to a server.

Discussion in 'Java' started by shettync@gmail.com, Mar 7, 2007.

    In one of the projects that I am working on, have been sending xml
    messages back n forth btw the client(swing) and the corba server. The
    serialized objects(in xml representation) are rich complex types (with
    nested objects within).Currently am using a homegrown java xml
    serialization mechanism which I plan to replace with a databinding
    framework like JAXB.
    The server typically deserializes this xml to a java object and
    applies some basic business validation and performs CRUD operations
    via DAO layer.

    I am finding that there is significant amt of overhead in sending
    these complete xmlized object for insert and every subsequent update.
    Question is how would one end up sending just xml delta(only the data
    that has changed) on UPDATEs, instead of sending the complete
    serialized object(xml).

    This question was asked way back in 2002, suggestions were made to use
    xpath, but wanted to followup and get more pointers.

    Please also take a look at the original thread:
    http://groups.google.com/group/micr... delta to server&rnum=1&hl=en#020be6324245084

    Any inputs will be very helpful.

    Thanks,
    ?n
    , Mar 7, 2007

  2. wrote:
    > Question is how would one end up sending just xml delta(only the data
    > that has changed) on UPDATEs, instead of sending the complete
    > serialized object(xml).

    There has been some good work done in diff/patch tools for XML; if you
    websearch for "xml diff" you ought to find some of that.

    Unfortunately IBM's early xmldiff tool on alphaWorks had a dependency on
    other code which is no longer available, and so was shelved; I've
    occasionally thought that one ought to be revived.

    (Apologies for not including microsoft.public.xml in my replies, but
    "public" appears to be a misnomer; it refuses to accept my posts.)

    Joe Kesselman, Mar 7, 2007