communicating to vb.net dll

Guest

I am new to using .net. I am told that I need to setup a config file that
will be accessed by a VB.net dll. This vb.net dll will be setup to run every
5 to 10 minutes by a timer that is coded into the vb.net application.
A user will submit a request to obtain data from a HP mainframe.

This web config file needs to be able to do the following:

1. The user will submit the request to a sql server 2000 database (that
resides on a different that where the vb.net application will be running).
2.. The vb.net code will that submit the request for data to the hp
mainframe by using http and xml.

Thus my questions are:

1. How do you setup a connection and retrieve data from the sql server 2000
database that resides with the company's intranet? This will somehow need to
include a connection object and statements oh how to connect to the SQL
server 2000 database. The user name and password are suppose to be passed to
the sql server as part of the connection string.
2. How would I request to the HP mainframe using soap, http, and xml to wrap
up the request?

Thanks!

Kevin Spencer

This is a tough one for me, Wendy.

Your introduction seems to indicate that you know almost nothing about the
..Net platform. The problem with this is that the .Net platform is HUGE, with
probably the largest class library in the world. ASP.Net is very little like
ASP. With ASP, you have a very limited scripting language that is
procedural, and you can get a fairly simple app up and running in minutes.
With the .Net platform, you have an OOP paradigm, fully-compiled powerful
programming technology to work with, and a class library of possibly tens of
thousands of classes to work with.

Now, your first remarks concerning the web.config file are telling in that,
the web.config file is a text file that is used to store static data. Yet,
you say that you want it to DO something. Data doesn't do anything. Process
does things.

From there, you ask how to set up a database connection, which is one of the
most basic types of things you can do in a .Net app, followed by a request
for information about how to use XML and SOAP to communicate with a
mainframe.

In other words, apparently you know almost nothing about how to proceed with
your solution. And you know very little about .Net. This is hardly a tenable
position to be in when writing such an application.

My difficulty is in telling you what you need to hear, but may not want to.
You're not ready to write this app. However, I don't know how you got
yourself into this mess, or what you may or may not be able to do to get
yourself out of it. But if you have any friends with .Net experience, you're
going to need a lot of hand-holding, at least in the beginning.

The problem is, you seem to need someone to tell you what to do about nearly
every aspect of your problem. And that is not something that can be done via
newsgroups.

You have my sympathy.

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP
..Net Developer
What You Seek Is What You Get.

Lucas Tam

=?Utf-8?B?V2VuZHkgRWxpemFiZXRo?=
This web config file needs to be able to do the following:

1. The user will submit the request to a sql server 2000 database
(that resides on a different that where the vb.net application will be
running). 2.. The vb.net code will that submit the request for data to
the hp mainframe by using http and xml.

A web config doen't do anything - it just stores data. And to complicate
matters, the web.config is readonly

Thus my questions are:

1. How do you setup a connection and retrieve data from the sql server
2000 database that resides with the company's intranet? This will
somehow need to include a connection object and statements oh how to
connect to the SQL server 2000 database. The user name and password
are suppose to be passed to the sql server as part of the connection
string.

Pass the connection string info from the ASP.NET. In the contructor of
the DLL allow a connection string to be specified? That may work.
2. How would I request to the HP mainframe using soap, http,
and xml to wrap up the request?

Use the HTTPRequest, SOAP, or XML classes in .NET to do this ; )