    minutes or so), and tells it everything is running without a problem.

    Can anyone recommend a good (and preferably simple) way for two programs
    to communicate on a network?

    ChrisH, Sep 14, 2004

  2. ChrisH

    ChrisH Guest

    Am I correct in saying that remote objects are not really needed for
    this?

    In article <>,
    says...

    ChrisH, Sep 14, 2004

  3. ChrisH

    Rene Pijlman Guest

    Rene Pijlman, Sep 14, 2004
  4. ChrisH wrote:
    > Am I correct in saying that remote objects are not really needed for
    > this?

    [...]
    >>I would like to create a second program on a remote Windows computer
    >>that receives an update from program A periodically (maybe every 10
    >>minutes or so), and tells it everything is running without a problem.
    >>
    >>Can anyone recommend a good (and preferably simple) way for two programs
    >>to communicate on a network?

    Perhaps remote objects are a bit overkill for your specific problem.
    But then again, Pyro for instance (pyro.sf.net) essentially removes
    the need for any network code in your app, and takes care of various
    other nasty things that happen at the network level.
    So unless you choose to use Pyro or some other high level API,
    you will have to deal with all this yourself-- and that may be
    more work than you think...

    --Irmen

    Irmen de Jong, Sep 14, 2004
  5. ChrisH

    ChrisH Guest

    Thanks for the info. I've actually been looking at Pyro as a possible
    solution. In some ways however, it seems a lot more powerful than what I
    need for this project.

    Could you give a simple example of how a two programs can "talk" to one
    another? I don't think I really need RPCs in this case.

    In article <41471f73$0$10528$4all.nl>, irmen@-NOSPAM-
    REMOVETHIS-xs4all.nl says...

    ChrisH, Sep 14, 2004
  6. ChrisH wrote:

    > Thanks for the info. I've actually been looking at Pyro as a possible
    > solution. In some ways however, it seems a lot more powerful than what I
    > need for this project.
    >
    > Could you give a simple example of how a two programs can "talk" to one
    > another? I don't think I really need RPCs in this case.

    Well if you don't want (or need) Pyro or another high-level RPC mechanism,
    you have to decide on something else. TCP or UDP socket communication
    is an option. See Tim Golden's reply.

    The Python source distribution contains some small socket examples
    (in Demo/sockets/).

    --Irmen

    Irmen de Jong, Sep 14, 2004