communication between two applications

james

Hallo!

How do I realise the communication between two applications that run
two diffenrent processes, in a way to exchange some information?

Thanks a lot for helping

James

Joona I Palaste

james said:
How do I realise the communication between two applications that run
two diffenrent processes, in a way to exchange some information?

ISO standard C has no knowledge of "process". Perhaps you want a system-
specific group?

Richard Bos

How do I realise the communication between two applications that run
two diffenrent processes, in a way to exchange some information?

The only ISO C way of doing this is to write to a file they can both
read. It's probably possible to do this on your system using pipes and
such, though; however, this is done differently on different OSes, so
details are off-topic in comp.lang.c, which deals only with portable,
ISO Standard C. You'll need to ask in a group concerned with programming
for your specific platform.

Richard

Richard A. Huebner

If you're talking about doing interprocess communication (IPC) on a
Linux box (I'm teaching this topic right now in my OS course), you
might want to check out one of the Linux newsgroups that has something
to do with kernel programming.

comp.os.linux.development.system

On the Linux side we can use pipes and named pipes, as well as
signals.

For Windows, I'm not too familiar with how IPC works.

FIRST ASK YOURSELF: what information do you want to exchange between
the two processes?

Good luck
Rich