Communication between Web and Windows application

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Controls' started by Jochen Neyens, Aug 6, 2004.

  1. We're in the process of developing an e-commerce application that vets can
    use to order medicines. One of the requirements is that the web application
    can communicate with a locally installed practice management application
    that uses MS-Access as a backend database. This way shipped e-commerce
    orders can we imported in the practice management application to update the
    stock levels of medicines.

    The web-application will be written in ASP.NET / C#.

    My question:

    Which technology should we use to communicate from within the browser with
    the MS-Access backend of the practice management application? I was thinking
    of writing an ActiveX control using C# and let this sign by Verisign. Will
    this be a good solution? Is there an alternative solution? The interface
    will be used by approx 1500 clients. An important aspect is the ability to
    deploy code via the Internet. The current order application is written in VB
    5 and needs to be installed from a CD-Rom which is a nightmare for code
    updates. This has to be replaced with an ASP.NET application whilst
    maintaining the ability the synchronise data with the locally installed
    practice management application.
    Jochen Neyens, Aug 6, 2004