communication between windows and linux

Nachiketh

hi,
i would like to know how to communicate between two processes, one
running on a linux machine and one running on a windows machine, using
java sockets. an example code would be helpful.
thanks
-nachiketh

Liz

Nachiketh said:
hi,
i would like to know how to communicate between two processes, one
running on a linux machine and one running on a windows machine, using
java sockets. an example code would be helpful.
thanks
-nachiketh

lazy ???? goto library, get a book

Ramon F Herrera

The whole thing is a very broad area, with many
options and possibilities.

By your posting, ona can easily guess that you are
a complete newbie. So, the first question is:
are you sure you have to use sockets? There are many
easier ways to do the client-server communication thing.

Having been were (I think) you are right now, I (and all
other posters) might offer some suggestions, but you have
to give more details.

-Ramon

Ramon F Herrera

Liz said:
lazy ???? goto library, get a book

Liz:

We could apply that answer to any question posted on the Usenet.

If we were gong to tell every posters that they are lazy and
should go to a library, we may as well close all newsgroups,
and move to libraries.

The open source community -and I like to believe that Java is
very close to the open source spirit (as opposed to the Microsoft
types) is reknown in the press as being extremely friendly,
knowledgeable and helpful. I, for one, don't know what I
would do without the Usenet. My professional and job performance
depends on it in a very certain degree.

Let's keep it that way!

-Ramon

Nachiketh

hi,
i have to use sockets, this i have to do coz of the fact that my
program will act as a tunnel between an application running on
windows... a mobile phone emulator to be precise, and the back end of
my project which is on a Linux machine. this tunnel should feed
information to the back end from the front end, and vice versa. i
guess this amount of information is sufficient for you to help me out.
thanks
-Nachiketh

Karthik

Nachiketh said:
hi,
i have to use sockets, this i have to do coz of the fact that my
program will act as a tunnel between an application running on
windows... a mobile phone emulator to be precise, and the back end of
my project which is on a Linux machine. this tunnel should feed
information to the back end from the front end, and vice versa. i
guess this amount of information is sufficient for you to help me out.
thanks
-Nachiketh
I guess still the amount of info. is still very much insufficient.
If you have a specific problem related to a specific scenario, I am sure
people would be more than happy to jump in and help you.
Other than that, if you expect people in the n.g to type in the
source code for you to get your job done, probably you may want to check
out comp.sources.wanted.
Having said that, ( assuming you are already convinced that you have
to use sockets ), the best place to start with should be java.net.*
package.

HTH.

Karthik.

Nigel Wade

Nachiketh said:
hi,
i have to use sockets, this i have to do coz of the fact that my
program will act as a tunnel between an application running on
windows... a mobile phone emulator to be precise, and the back end of
my project which is on a Linux machine. this tunnel should feed
information to the back end from the front end, and vice versa. i
guess this amount of information is sufficient for you to help me out.
thanks
-Nachiketh

The Java Tutorials are always a good place to start. For networking and
sockets look at:

http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/networking/index.html
http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/networking/sockets/index.html

The thing to note is that once you've opened a Socket you can create all
kinds of streams on top of the Socket for sending raw data, characters,
Objects etc. depending on your requirements:

http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/essential/io/overview.html

Nachiketh

hi,
the main reason for me to post this mail is not for the sake of
coding. coding i am pretty comfortable using java. am not able to
figure out what logic do i use inorder to get my work done. i
definately know how to use open sockets, read and write from them. but
am not able to apply it to construct my module. so u can say this is
design level hang up of my project. so if u can help me by giving a
logic of performing the operation i've mentioned in the above mail...
i would be of great help..
thanks :))
-Nachiketh