    There is already a [comp.compilers] newsgroup, yet this one is moderated. Usenet
    requires 100 more votes for a new newsgroup than against it, and the proponents
    must have a 2/3 majority.
    Peter Olcott, Jan 21, 2007

  2. Peter Olcott

    Bo Persson Guest

    Peter Olcott wrote:
    > This is a preliminary survey to measure the interest in a new
    > Usenet newsgroup. There is already a [comp.compilers] newsgroup,
    > yet this one is moderated. Usenet requires 100 more votes for a new
    > newsgroup than against it, and the proponents must have a 2/3
    > majority.

    Why? What are the benefits?

    Bo Persson
    Bo Persson, Jan 21, 2007

  3. Peter Olcott

    Peter Olcott Guest

    "Bo Persson" <> wrote in message
    > Peter Olcott wrote:
    >> This is a preliminary survey to measure the interest in a new
    >> Usenet newsgroup. There is already a [comp.compilers] newsgroup,
    >> yet this one is moderated. Usenet requires 100 more votes for a new
    >> newsgroup than against it, and the proponents must have a 2/3
    >> majority.

    > Why? What are the benefits?
    >

    > Bo Persson

    It would be the same benefits of the [comp.lang.c++] compared to
    [comp.lang.c++.moderated] The former group has about triple the volume of the
    latter group because there is no moderation in the former group so every message
    is immediately posted. The latter group has benefits too. The industry giants
    tend to go to the moderated groups so that they never have to deal with
    rudeness.
    Peter Olcott, Jan 21, 2007
  4. Peter Olcott

    Ron Natalie Guest

    Peter Olcott wrote:
    > This is a preliminary survey to measure the interest in a new Usenet newsgroup.
    > There is already a [comp.compilers] newsgroup, yet this one is moderated. Usenet
    > requires 100 more votes for a new newsgroup than against it, and the proponents
    > must have a 2/3 majority.

    Before you waste your time barking up the wrong tree, why don't
    you spend 5 minutes actually researching the procedure for making
    a group and WHERE IT IS APPROPRIATE TO DISCUSS SUCH.
    Ron Natalie, Jan 22, 2007
  5. Peter Olcott

    Peter Olcott Guest

    "Ron Natalie" <> wrote in message
    > Peter Olcott wrote:
    >> This is a preliminary survey to measure the interest in a new Usenet
    >> newsgroup. There is already a [comp.compilers] newsgroup, yet this one is
    >> moderated. Usenet requires 100 more votes for a new newsgroup than against
    >> it, and the proponents must have a 2/3 majority.

    > Before you waste your time barking up the wrong tree, why don't
    > you spend 5 minutes actually researching the procedure for making
    > a group and WHERE IT IS APPROPRIATE TO DISCUSS SUCH.

    The best place to bring up this discussion would be in the [comp.compilers]
    group. The problem with this is that the moderator completely cut off all
    communication for even bringing the subject up. If you know of a better place
    than this group please suggest it.
    Peter Olcott, Jan 22, 2007
  6. Peter Olcott wrote:
    > [..]
    > The best place to bring up this discussion would be in the
    > [comp.compilers] group.

    WHY?! 8-O

    > The problem with this is that the moderator
    > completely cut off all communication for even bringing the subject
    > up. If you know of a better place than this group please suggest it.

    How about one of newsgroups with 'newsgroup' in its name? I trust
    you can find a decent one among so many.

    Victor Bazarov, Jan 23, 2007
  7. "Victor Bazarov" <> wrote in message
    > Peter Olcott wrote:
    >> [..]
    >> The best place to bring up this discussion would be in the
    >> [comp.compilers] group.

    > WHY?! 8-O
    >
    >> The problem with this is that the moderator
    >> completely cut off all communication for even bringing the subject
    >> up. If you know of a better place than this group please suggest it.

    > How about one of newsgroups with 'newsgroup' in its name? I trust
    > you can find a decent one among so many.

    I have already looked into this. It takes 100 more votes for the group than
    against it. This requires reaching people that are interested in compiler
    construction, it does not involve reaching people that are interested in
    newsgroup creation. It is looking like I would not get the required 100 votes.

    SeeScreen.com, Jan 23, 2007
  8. SeeScreen.com wrote:

    > I have already looked into this. It takes 100 more votes for the group
    > than against it. This requires reaching people that are interested in
    > compiler construction, it does not involve reaching people that are
    > interested in newsgroup creation. It is looking like I would not get the
    > required 100 votes.

    Are you sure that annoying people in several groups will attract more 'yes'
    than 'not' votes?

    --
    Salu2
    =?ISO-8859-15?Q?Juli=E1n?= Albo, Jan 23, 2007
  9. Peter Olcott wrote:
    > This is a preliminary survey to measure the interest in a new Usenet newsgroup.
    > There is already a [comp.compilers] newsgroup, yet this one is moderated. Usenet
    > requires 100 more votes for a new newsgroup than against it, and the proponents
    > must have a 2/3 majority.

    "Usenet" requires no such thing. You'll find information about the
    current Big-8 group creation process at

    http://www.big-8.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=policies:creation

    (Big-8 refers to the comp, rec, soc, sci, talk, humanities, news and
    misc hierarchies which are all under common management.)

    Follow-up set to news.groups where this discussion would be on-topic.

    --
    Aatu Koskensilta ()

    "Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, daruber muss man schweigen"
    Aatu Koskensilta, Jan 29, 2007