comp.lang.c FAQs - a note of thanks

Richard Heathfield

Recently, elsenet, I was reminded of the amount of work that goes into a
successful FAQ listing. Steve Summit has been quietly and selflessly
beavering away on the clc FAQ list for many years. It's easy to take an
FAQer for granted, but although it can be a weary task I see no reason why
it should be a thankless one.

So, Steve, I'd like to thank you for all that you've done and all that you
do for comp.lang.c.

AAAAAA PPPPPP PPPPPP LL AAAAAA UU UU SSSSSS EEEEEEEE
AAAAAAAA PPPPPPP PPPPPPP LL AAAAAAAA UU UU SSSSSSSS EEEEEEEE
AA AA PP PP PP PP LL AA AA UU UU SS SS EE
AA AA PP PP PP PP LL AA AA UU UU SS EE
AAAAAAAA PPPPPPP PPPPPPP LL AAAAAAAA UU UU SSSSSSSS EEEEEEEE
AAAAAAAA PPPPPP PPPPPP LL AAAAAAAA UU UU SSSSSSSS EEEEEEEE
AA AA PP PP LL AA AA UU UU SS EE
AA AA PP PP LL AA AA UU UU SS SS EE
AA AA PP PP LLLLLLLL AA AA UUUUUUUU SSSSSSSS EEEEEEEE
AA AA PP PP LLLLLLLL AA AA UUUUUUUU SSSSSS EEEEEEEE

Andrew Poelstra

[...]

I can't really do anything big without looking anticlimactic, but Steve,
you've gotten me out of a lot of little issues the group wouldn't have
answered quickly, and for that I thank you.

*applauds*

Keith Thompson

Richard Heathfield said:
[...]

<AOL>Me too.</AOL>

(I suppose the AOL tag serves more to show my age than to make the
point.)

Skarmander

Richard said:
[...]

As an aside, I hope you wrote a C program to construct this string, but I
fear you took the easy way out and... well, did something easier.

Reminds me of all those banner programs that read character sets from ROM
and drew the characters with asterisks. They were all the rage in the days
of dot matrix printers.

S.

Charles Richmond

Richard said:
Recently, elsenet, I was reminded of the amount of work that goes into a
successful FAQ listing. Steve Summit has been quietly and selflessly
beavering away on the clc FAQ list for many years. It's easy to take an
FAQer for granted, but although it can be a weary task I see no reason why
it should be a thankless one.

So, Steve, I'd like to thank you for all that you've done and all that you
do for comp.lang.c.
I fully agree that Steve deserves our thanks for maintaining the FAQ
so well. However, does Steve *not* derive some income from the printed
version???

Richard Heathfield

Charles Richmond said:

I fully agree that Steve deserves our thanks for maintaining the FAQ
so well. However, does Steve *not* derive some income from the printed
version???

ROTFL!

Yes, of course he does. And a street-sweeper derives income from wielding
his broom. In dollars per hour, however, the street-sweeper does much, much
better out of it.

Kenny McCormack

Charles Richmond said:

ROTFL!

Yes, of course he does. And a street-sweeper derives income from wielding
his broom. In dollars per hour, however, the street-sweeper does much, much
better out of it.

He (the street sweeper) is performing a useful service.

Albert

Steve also give a much valuable help, and I studied a lot of C
knowledge from the FAQ.
I need to say my thanks to Mr. Steve.

Richard Riley

Skarmander said:
As an aside, I hope you wrote a C program to construct this string,
but I fear you took the easy way out and... well, did something easier.

Reminds me of all those banner programs that read character sets from
ROM and drew the characters with asterisks. They were all the rage in
the days of dot matrix printers.

They still exist, read from ram and are still called "banner" on linux
systems :-; And youd be amazed how many linux pages I see with a banner
output as the title still!

FAQs are a lot of work and the C one is good : certainly not to be
forgotten or underesitmated.

Richard Riley

Richard Heathfield said:
Charles Richmond said:

ROTFL!

Yes, of course he does. And a street-sweeper derives income from wielding
his broom. In dollars per hour, however, the street-sweeper does much, much
better out of it.

Street sweepers probably do a lot better than most retail workers too.

I think the point Charles was making is that its not a solely
"thankless" task in terms of fiscal renumeration. Thanks are certainly
due from those of us who just pick the free version however :-;

I would be interested in how many hours are required now the C language
is fairly stable : does the FAQ get updated a lot now? I would
have thought it fairly "stable" and "complete" at this stage in the
languages lifecycle.

<http://www.c-faq.com/>

Richard Heathfield

Richard Riley said:
I think the point Charles was making is that its not a solely
"thankless" task in terms of fiscal renumeration.

The online version is. And that's the version I was talking about. But even
the printed version is not going to be raking it in for him - even the very
best technical books don't sell terribly well, K&R being a possible
exception, I guess.
Thanks are certainly
due from those of us who just pick the free version however :-;

I would be interested in how many hours are required now the C language
is fairly stable : does the FAQ get updated a lot now?

Steve did a fairly hefty update quite recently.
I would have thought it fairly "stable" and "complete" at this stage in
the languages lifecycle.

You mean, shortly after one new standard has been released and shortly
before another is due? :)