comp.lang.javascript

Victory

I am using Ultamenu from http://www.antssoft.com/index.htm?ref=download
but it doesn't seem to work on my server or computer. It creates
a .js file and I used the template, but it doesn't work on it. I have
another template and I used the same thing which works.Here is the
code: <script type="text/javascript"
language="JavaScript1.2~JavaScript1.2" src="wl.js"></script></td>

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Victory said:
Subject: comp.lang.javascript

Looks like as if you have mixed up the headers.

Why don't you use said:
Here is the
code: <script type="text/javascript"
language="JavaScript1.2~JavaScript1.2" src="wl.js"></script></td>

The `language' attribute is deprecated in HTML 4 and newer, and it also does
not make any sense here. Remove it, and validate your markup:
http://validator.w3.org/

Since this is supposedly client-side J(ava)Script, your server does not
matter. The reason for it not working "on your computer" (could you not
be a little bit more vague?) is *maybe* be that the HTML user agent that
runs on top of the operating system that runs on your computer interprets
the `language' attribute and does not know what to do with this nonsensical
a value.

However, there could be any other reason as well.

http://www.jibbering.com/faq/faq_notes/clj_posts.html#ps1DontWork

PointedEars

VK

I am using Ultamenu fromhttp://www.antssoft.com/index.htm?ref=download
but it doesn't seem to work on my server or computer. It creates
a .js file and I used the template, but it doesn't work on it. I have
another template and I used the same thing which works.Here is the
code: <script type="text/javascript"
language="JavaScript1.2~JavaScript1.2" src="wl.js"></script></td>

Without having a link on both working and non-working pages it is hard
to say anything. Can you make them?
You may also contact antssoft.com with both pages and ask for their
help (after all it is their generator).

SAM

Victory a écrit :
I am using Ultamenu from http://www.antssoft.com/index.htm?ref=download
but it doesn't seem to work on my server or computer. It creates
a .js file and I used the template, but it doesn't work on it. I have
another template and I used the same thing which works.Here is the
code: <script type="text/javascript"
language="JavaScript1.2~JavaScript1.2" src="wl.js"></script></td>

<script type="text/javascript" src="wl.js"></script>

and probably better in the HEAD

Have you the javascript file 'wl.js' uploaded on your site
(in same folder as your(s) html file(s) )

Victory

Yes, the wl.js is uploaded. I am going to get to all of your comments
tomorrow, thanks - I just wanted to give you the heads up!

Martin Gregorie

Thomas said:
and validate your markup: http://validator.w3.org/
As you're editing files on your computer you may find HTMLtidy is more
convenient. Its a configurable command line validator program for
Windows, Linux and Mac. The better graphical text editors should be able
to run it as an add-in.

You can get HTMLtidy executables from http://tidy.sourceforge.net/

It was originally written by Dave Raggett at W3C and subsequently moved
to SourceForge, where you can also find Java, Perl, Python and Windows
GUI versions.

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Martin said:
Thomas said:
and validate your markup: http://validator.w3.org/

As you're editing files on your computer you may find HTMLtidy is more
convenient. [...]

CAVEAT: HTML Tidy is _not_ a markup validator. It can be used as a good
supplement (for example to add integrity and accessibility to your markup;
I use EclipseTidy[1]), but it can never substitute proper validation against
a DTD or XML schema.

[1] http://eclipsetidy.sourceforge.net/

PointedEars

Dr J R Stockton

In comp.lang.javascript message <[email protected]>,
As you're editing files on your computer you may find HTMLtidy is more
convenient. Its a configurable command line validator program for
Windows, Linux and Mac.

Agreed. After any spell of editing, and before any upload, I run a
batch file of my own devising. It processes all *.htm files datestamped
since it was last run, and runs TIDY (as a checker; I don't want my
layout changed) and certain other tests, including CHEKLINX to check
links to other files in the master set.

Largely it finds typos, but it also catches mis-codings.