    Maybe it's time to establish the group comp.lang.perl.cgi?

    --
    Gunnar Hjalmarsson
    Gunnar Hjalmarsson, Apr 2, 2007

  2. >>>>> "GH" == Gunnar Hjalmarsson <> writes:

    GH> The group comp.infosystems.www.authoring.cgi has been down for
    GH> several months. As far as I can understand, it means that
    GH> there is no longer an appropriate Usenet group for those who
    GH> use Perl for web applications to discuss CGI and HTTP matters.

    On the contrary; it means that there is an appropriate Usenet group,
    which nobody happens to be using.

    GH> Maybe it's time to establish the group comp.lang.perl.cgi?

    The procedure for creating a new newsgroup is well-established and
    well-known. Have fun!

    Charlton

    --
    Charlton Wilbur
    Charlton Wilbur, Apr 2, 2007

  3. Charlton Wilbur wrote:

    > GH> The group comp.infosystems.www.authoring.cgi has been down for
    > GH> several months. As far as I can understand, it means that
    > GH> there is no longer an appropriate Usenet group for those who
    > GH> use Perl for web applications to discuss CGI and HTTP matters.
    >
    > On the contrary; it means that there is an appropriate Usenet group,
    > which nobody happens to be using.

    No, the (moderated) group mentioned is out of order.

    --
    Gunnar Hjalmarsson
    Gunnar Hjalmarsson, Apr 2, 2007
  4. Charlton Wilbur wrote:

    > GH> Maybe it's time to establish the group comp.lang.perl.cgi?
    >
    > The procedure for creating a new newsgroup is well-established and
    > well-known. Have fun!

    Well, I didn't ask how to do it. I was simply hoping for a few informal

    Gunnar Hjalmarsson
    Gunnar Hjalmarsson, Apr 2, 2007
  5. Gunnar Hjalmarsson <> wrote:

    >> GH> Maybe it's time to establish the group comp.lang.perl.cgi?
    >>
    >> The procedure for creating a new newsgroup is well-established and
    >> well-known. Have fun!

    > Well, I didn't ask how to do it. I was simply hoping for a few informal

    I can provide one data point.

    I would vote no.

    --
    Tad McClellan SGML consulting
    Perl programming
    Tad McClellan, Apr 3, 2007
  6. Gunnar Hjalmarsson

    Guest

    On Apr 2, 11:18 am, Gunnar Hjalmarsson <> wrote:
    > The group comp.infosystems.www.authoring.cgihas been down for several
    > months. As far as I can understand, it means that there is no longer an
    > appropriate Usenet group for those who use Perl for web applications to
    > discuss CGI and HTTP matters.
    >
    > Maybe it's time to establish the group comp.lang.perl.cgi?

    I wouldn't mind having the newsgroup comp.lang.perl.gunnar... We could
    send all the spam, offtopic, and stupid posts there...
    , Apr 3, 2007
  7. Tad McClellan wrote:

    > I would vote no.

    Would you mind to share your thinking on the subject, Tad? Do you
    welcome those who use Perl for webb stuff to use clpmisc for other
    matters than pure Perl programming ditto, or do you find it satisfying
    that there is no appropriate Usenet group for them?

    I'd better add that comp.lang.perl.www, as suggested by Petr, sounds to
    me as a better idea.

    --
    Gunnar Hjalmarsson
    Gunnar Hjalmarsson, Apr 3, 2007
  8. Gunnar Hjalmarsson

    Sisyphus Guest

    "Gunnar Hjalmarsson" <> wrote in message
    ..
    ..
    > Would you mind to share your thinking on the subject, Tad?

    Yes, I'm also interested to hear Tad's thinking on this.

    For as long as I've been using perl, it has been the case that one sends
    one's perl questions to comp.lang.perl.misc, and one's cgi questions go to
    comp.infosystems.www.authoring.cgi. It's a long time since I've subscribed
    to the latter and I'm amazed to hear that it has been out of service for a
    lengthy period of time.

    For mine, the best solution would be to resurrect
    comp.infosystems.www.authoring.cgi. (I have no idea whether that's a
    practical solution :)

    Cheers,
    Rob
    Sisyphus, Apr 3, 2007
  9. >>>>> "Sisyphus" == Sisyphus <> writes:

    Sisyphus> For mine, the best solution would be to resurrect
    Sisyphus> comp.infosystems.www.authoring.cgi. (I have no idea whether that's a
    Sisyphus> practical solution :)

    I'm working on that right now. The group's been dead since oct 2006, and
    something is broken in the chain from posting to the
    self-moderated-bot-approval to injecting back into the news system. I'm in
    touch with the bot operator and we'll have some solution shortly.

    print "Just another Perl hacker,"; # and clpa moderator

    Randal L. Schwartz, Apr 3, 2007