comp.lang.perl.misc pollution

nolo contendere

This isn't about Perl, but it is about this newsgroup. I'm becoming
irritated by the spam that I see (I use Google Groups) and was
wondering if someone could suggest a great free newsreader, as well as
where and how to acquire it.

Ben Morrow

Quoth nolo contendere said:
This isn't about Perl, but it is about this newsgroup. I'm becoming
irritated by the spam that I see (I use Google Groups) and was
wondering if someone could suggest a great free newsreader, as well as
where and how to acquire it.

rn, of course... :) [1]

Personally I use trn, and I got it from FreeBSD ports; since you appear
to be on Win32 that's probably not much use to you. As you're a Firefox
user you could try Thunderbird.

Ben

[1] In case anyone doesn't know: rn is a newsreader that Larry wrote
before he wrote perl...

Ted Zlatanov

nc> This isn't about Perl, but it is about this newsgroup. I'm becoming
nc> irritated by the spam that I see (I use Google Groups) and was
nc> wondering if someone could suggest a great free newsreader, as well as
nc> where and how to acquire it.

Emacs comes with Gnus, which is quite good if you can live with ELisp.
It will do mail, news, RSS, etc. in a single interface. It will filter
spam in newsgroups if you need that.

Ted

nolo contendere

Quoth nolo contendere said:
This isn't about Perl, but it is about this newsgroup. I'm becoming
irritated by the spam that I see (I use Google Groups) and was
wondering if someone could suggest a great free newsreader, as well as
where and how to acquire it.

rn, of course... :) [1]

Personally I use trn, and I got it from FreeBSD ports; since you appear
to be on Win32 that's probably not much use to you. As you're a Firefox
user you could try Thunderbird.

I always thought Thunderbird was just an email client. I think Google
Groups has tainted the way I think about newsgroups. I think of them
as collections of threaded forum posts. Thanks for your suggestions,
I'll check out Thunderbird.

nolo contendere

nc> This isn't about Perl, but it is about this newsgroup. I'm becoming
nc> irritated by the spam that I see (I use Google Groups) and was
nc> wondering if someone could suggest a great free newsreader, as well as
nc> where and how to acquire it.

Emacs comes with Gnus, which is quite good if you can live with ELisp.
It will do mail, news, RSS, etc. in a single interface.  It will filter
spam in newsgroups if you need that.

Yeah, I'm looking for the ability to filter. You're talking about
emacs for the windows platform?

Ted Zlatanov

nc> This isn't about Perl, but it is about this newsgroup. I'm becoming
nc> irritated by the spam that I see (I use Google Groups) and was
nc> wondering if someone could suggest a great free newsreader, as well as
nc> where and how to acquire it.
nc> Yeah, I'm looking for the ability to filter. You're talking about
nc> emacs for the windows platform?

Both Emacs and Gnus run on Windows, yes, but I don't run there
personally. You'll need a recent release of Emacs and Gnus.

Filtering spam on Windows may require some custom setup, but at least
spam-stat.el works on all platforms (it's not as good as CRM114 and
such, though). For more info, see the Gnus manual or try the Gnus
mailing list <[email protected]>.

Again, this requires you to be at least interested in ELisp, since even
basic customization of Gnus requires you to use it. I'm not sure how
appropriate that requirement is for comp.lang.perl.misc ;)

Ted

sln

This isn't about Perl, but it is about this newsgroup. I'm becoming
irritated by the spam that I see (I use Google Groups) and was
wondering if someone could suggest a great free newsreader, as well as
where and how to acquire it.

Free Agent is good, if you can find it. Forte Agent 2.0 is great.

sln

This isn't about Perl, but it is about this newsgroup. I'm becoming
irritated by the spam that I see (I use Google Groups) and was
wondering if someone could suggest a great free newsreader, as well as
where and how to acquire it.

Free Agent if you can still find it. I use Agent from Forte.

sln

This isn't about Perl, but it is about this newsgroup. I'm becoming
irritated by the spam that I see (I use Google Groups) and was
wondering if someone could suggest a great free newsreader, as well as
where and how to acquire it.

You could use Free Agent. I'm sure its still around.

sln

This isn't about Perl, but it is about this newsgroup. I'm becoming
irritated by the spam that I see (I use Google Groups) and was
wondering if someone could suggest a great free newsreader, as well as
where and how to acquire it.

Free Agent is a good one if you can find it.

sln

This isn't about Perl, but it is about this newsgroup. I'm becoming
irritated by the spam that I see (I use Google Groups) and was
wondering if someone could suggest a great free newsreader, as well as
where and how to acquire it.

Free Agent is good if you can still find it.

Jim Gibson

nolo contendere said:
This isn't about Perl, but it is about this newsgroup. I'm becoming
irritated by the spam that I see (I use Google Groups) and was
wondering if someone could suggest a great free newsreader, as well as
where and how to acquire it.

Besides a decent newsreader, you will need a Usenet news feed, because
AFAIK Google does not provide Usenet articles over the NNTP protocol.
Your local ISP may provide Usenet, although some are starting to drop
it because Usenet can carry (gasp!) porn. There are also free and paid
providers of Usenet you can use with most newsreaders. In fact, all
newsreaders with which I am familiar will require connection to an NNTP
server.

Also, the amount of spam may depend upon the news feed you select, as
the NNTP providers can filter out spam before it gets to you. I
recently switched to News.Individual.net because they provide
inexpensive NNTP access with very little spam. Others I have used in
the past are teranews.com and usenet.com. See here for more:

<http://directory.google.com/Top/Computers/Usenet/Feed_Services/>

Check <www.newsreaders.com> for newsreaders.

Martijn Lievaart

This isn't about Perl, but it is about this newsgroup. I'm becoming
irritated by the spam that I see (I use Google Groups) and was wondering
if someone could suggest a great free newsreader, as well as where and
how to acquire it.

Check out Xnews. It's a bit quirky on key assignments, but was my
newsreader of choice before I left Windows.

M4

Ben Bullock

This isn't about Perl, but it is about this newsgroup. I'm becoming
irritated by the spam that I see (I use Google Groups) and was
wondering if someone could suggest a great free newsreader, as well as
where and how to acquire it.

I've been using the Pan newsreader, which is free, for about two years.
It works on Windows and Linux. It has a lot of features, but a few bugs
remain in the current version. It is very good at filtering out unwanted
posts (you can use regexes etc.)

More information is here:

http://pan.rebelbase.com/

There is also a user group you can access via Gmane.

Outlook Express on Windows is another option. It is fairly effective at
filtering and is very easy to use. I understand that the Evolution email
client has a news reading facility too, although I've never tried it.

prawn

This isn't about Perl, but it is about this newsgroup. I'm becoming
irritated by the spam that I see (I use Google Groups) and was wondering
if someone could suggest a great free newsreader, as well as where and
how to acquire it.

I cheat and use leafnode as a downstream server. I then filter on the
number of cross-posted groups[1] in a post and the names of cross-posted
groups[2].

Then I can use which ever news client I like and don't have to mess about
with kill-files.

[1] /etc/news/leafnode/config : maxcrosspost = n
[2] /etc/news/leafnode/filters: ^Newsgroups:.^alt.* or any re you like

sln

How is Free Agent, anyway? I heard it's good if you can get it.

I like slrn; easily available for un*x (including OS X); can probably
get it as part of Cygwin for Windows too.

--keith

I never used Free Agent. Had always had the full Agent.
Agent went from 1,2,3 and now 4. I stopped at 2 (32 bit) for windows.

It has all I need for Usenet (don't use it for email). It will handle
bulk very nicely and don't need image viewers nor html processing.
Does yenc and uue very nicely for attachments. Posting is a breaze.
Many filters, configurations, setup options... lots of tools, etc.

I think version 4 has all the bells and whistles, including multiple
server/identities.

As far as I know, its still 29 dollars US. Its by far the most complete
solution for nntp under windows. Just google Forte Agent. "Free Agent"
was a version 1 product I think, but there is a version 4 shareware I
think.

Some links:

http://www.sharewarejunkies.com/07zwd04/forte_agent.htm
http://www.forteinc.com/agent/index.php