    irritated by the spam that I see (I use Google Groups) and was
    wondering if someone could suggest a great free newsreader, as well as
    where and how to acquire it.

    nolo contendere, Jul 3, 2008

  2. nolo contendere

    Ben Morrow Guest

    Quoth nolo contendere <>:
    > This isn't about Perl, but it is about this newsgroup. I'm becoming
    > irritated by the spam that I see (I use Google Groups) and was
    > wondering if someone could suggest a great free newsreader, as well as
    > where and how to acquire it.

    rn, of course... :) [1]

    Personally I use trn, and I got it from FreeBSD ports; since you appear
    to be on Win32 that's probably not much use to you. As you're a Firefox
    user you could try Thunderbird.

    Ben

    [1] In case anyone doesn't know: rn is a newsreader that Larry wrote
    before he wrote perl...

    --
    I touch the fire and it freezes me, []
    I look into it and it's black.

    Ben Morrow, Jul 3, 2008

  3. nolo contendere

    Ted Zlatanov Guest

    On Thu, 3 Jul 2008 10:40:28 -0700 (PDT) nolo contendere <> wrote:

    nc> This isn't about Perl, but it is about this newsgroup. I'm becoming
    nc> irritated by the spam that I see (I use Google Groups) and was
    nc> wondering if someone could suggest a great free newsreader, as well as
    nc> where and how to acquire it.

    Emacs comes with Gnus, which is quite good if you can live with ELisp.
    It will do mail, news, RSS, etc. in a single interface. It will filter
    spam in newsgroups if you need that.

    Ted

    Ted Zlatanov, Jul 3, 2008
  4. On Jul 3, 1:59 pm, Ben Morrow <> wrote:
    > Quoth nolo contendere <>:
    >
    > > This isn't about Perl, but it is about this newsgroup. I'm becoming
    > > irritated by the spam that I see (I use Google Groups) and was
    > > wondering if someone could suggest a great free newsreader, as well as
    > > where and how to acquire it.

    > rn, of course... :) [1]
    >
    > Personally I use trn, and I got it from FreeBSD ports; since you appear
    > to be on Win32 that's probably not much use to you. As you're a Firefox
    > user you could try Thunderbird.

    I always thought Thunderbird was just an email client. I think Google
    Groups has tainted the way I think about newsgroups. I think of them
    as collections of threaded forum posts. Thanks for your suggestions,
    I'll check out Thunderbird.

    nolo contendere, Jul 3, 2008
  5. On Jul 3, 2:22 pm, Ted Zlatanov <> wrote:
    > On Thu, 3 Jul 2008 10:40:28 -0700 (PDT) nolo contendere <> wrote:
    >
    > nc> This isn't about Perl, but it is about this newsgroup. I'm becoming
    > nc> irritated by the spam that I see (I use Google Groups) and was
    > nc> wondering if someone could suggest a great free newsreader, as well as
    > nc> where and how to acquire it.
    >
    > Emacs comes with Gnus, which is quite good if you can live with ELisp.
    > It will do mail, news, RSS, etc. in a single interface.  It will filter
    > spam in newsgroups if you need that.

    Yeah, I'm looking for the ability to filter. You're talking about
    emacs for the windows platform?

    nolo contendere, Jul 3, 2008
  6. nolo contendere

    Ted Zlatanov Guest

    On Thu, 3 Jul 2008 11:45:45 -0700 (PDT) nolo contendere <> wrote:

    nc> On Jul 3, 2:22 pm, Ted Zlatanov <> wrote:
    >> On Thu, 3 Jul 2008 10:40:28 -0700 (PDT) nolo contendere <> wrote:

    nc> This isn't about Perl, but it is about this newsgroup. I'm becoming
    nc> irritated by the spam that I see (I use Google Groups) and was
    nc> wondering if someone could suggest a great free newsreader, as well as
    nc> where and how to acquire it.

    >> Emacs comes with Gnus, which is quite good if you can live with ELisp.
    >> It will do mail, news, RSS, etc. in a single interface.  It will filter
    >> spam in newsgroups if you need that.

    nc> Yeah, I'm looking for the ability to filter. You're talking about
    nc> emacs for the windows platform?

    Both Emacs and Gnus run on Windows, yes, but I don't run there
    personally. You'll need a recent release of Emacs and Gnus.

    Filtering spam on Windows may require some custom setup, but at least
    spam-stat.el works on all platforms (it's not as good as CRM114 and
    such, though). For more info, see the Gnus manual or try the Gnus
    mailing list <>.

    Again, this requires you to be at least interested in ELisp, since even
    basic customization of Gnus requires you to use it. I'm not sure how
    appropriate that requirement is for comp.lang.perl.misc ;)

    Ted

    Ted Zlatanov, Jul 3, 2008
  7. nolo contendere

    Guest

    On Thu, 3 Jul 2008 10:40:28 -0700 (PDT), nolo contendere <> wrote:

    >This isn't about Perl, but it is about this newsgroup. I'm becoming
    >irritated by the spam that I see (I use Google Groups) and was
    >wondering if someone could suggest a great free newsreader, as well as
    >where and how to acquire it.

    Free Agent is good, if you can find it. Forte Agent 2.0 is great.

    , Jul 3, 2008
  8. nolo contendere

    Guest

    On Thu, 3 Jul 2008 10:40:28 -0700 (PDT), nolo contendere <> wrote:

    >This isn't about Perl, but it is about this newsgroup. I'm becoming
    >irritated by the spam that I see (I use Google Groups) and was
    >wondering if someone could suggest a great free newsreader, as well as
    >where and how to acquire it.

    Free Agent if you can still find it. I use Agent from Forte.

    , Jul 3, 2008
  9. nolo contendere

    Guest

    On Thu, 3 Jul 2008 10:40:28 -0700 (PDT), nolo contendere <> wrote:

    >This isn't about Perl, but it is about this newsgroup. I'm becoming
    >irritated by the spam that I see (I use Google Groups) and was
    >wondering if someone could suggest a great free newsreader, as well as
    >where and how to acquire it.

    You could use Free Agent. I'm sure its still around.

    , Jul 3, 2008
  10. nolo contendere

    Guest

    On Thu, 3 Jul 2008 10:40:28 -0700 (PDT), nolo contendere <> wrote:

    >This isn't about Perl, but it is about this newsgroup. I'm becoming
    >irritated by the spam that I see (I use Google Groups) and was
    >wondering if someone could suggest a great free newsreader, as well as
    >where and how to acquire it.

    Free Agent is good, if you can find it.

    , Jul 3, 2008
  11. nolo contendere

    Guest

    On Thu, 3 Jul 2008 10:40:28 -0700 (PDT), nolo contendere <> wrote:

    >This isn't about Perl, but it is about this newsgroup. I'm becoming
    >irritated by the spam that I see (I use Google Groups) and was
    >wondering if someone could suggest a great free newsreader, as well as
    >where and how to acquire it.

    Free Agent is a good one if you can find it.

    , Jul 3, 2008
  12. nolo contendere

    Guest

    On Thu, 3 Jul 2008 10:40:28 -0700 (PDT), nolo contendere <> wrote:

    >This isn't about Perl, but it is about this newsgroup. I'm becoming
    >irritated by the spam that I see (I use Google Groups) and was
    >wondering if someone could suggest a great free newsreader, as well as
    >where and how to acquire it.

    Free Agent is good if you can still find it.

    , Jul 3, 2008
  13. nolo contendere

    Jim Gibson Guest

    In article
    <>,
    nolo contendere <> wrote:

    > This isn't about Perl, but it is about this newsgroup. I'm becoming
    > irritated by the spam that I see (I use Google Groups) and was
    > wondering if someone could suggest a great free newsreader, as well as
    > where and how to acquire it.

    Besides a decent newsreader, you will need a Usenet news feed, because
    AFAIK Google does not provide Usenet articles over the NNTP protocol.
    Your local ISP may provide Usenet, although some are starting to drop
    it because Usenet can carry (gasp!) porn. There are also free and paid
    providers of Usenet you can use with most newsreaders. In fact, all
    newsreaders with which I am familiar will require connection to an NNTP
    server.

    Also, the amount of spam may depend upon the news feed you select, as
    the NNTP providers can filter out spam before it gets to you. I
    recently switched to News.Individual.net because they provide
    inexpensive NNTP access with very little spam. Others I have used in
    the past are teranews.com and usenet.com. See here for more:

    <http://directory.google.com/Top/Computers/Usenet/Feed_Services/>

    Check <www.newsreaders.com> for newsreaders.

    --
    Jim Gibson

    Jim Gibson, Jul 3, 2008
  14. On Thu, 03 Jul 2008 10:40:28 -0700, nolo contendere wrote:

    > This isn't about Perl, but it is about this newsgroup. I'm becoming
    > irritated by the spam that I see (I use Google Groups) and was wondering
    > if someone could suggest a great free newsreader, as well as where and
    > how to acquire it.

    Check out Xnews. It's a bit quirky on key assignments, but was my
    newsreader of choice before I left Windows.

    M4

    Martijn Lievaart, Jul 3, 2008
  15. nolo contendere

    Ben Bullock Guest

    On Thu, 03 Jul 2008 10:40:28 -0700, nolo contendere wrote:

    > This isn't about Perl, but it is about this newsgroup. I'm becoming
    > irritated by the spam that I see (I use Google Groups) and was
    > wondering if someone could suggest a great free newsreader, as well as
    > where and how to acquire it.

    I've been using the Pan newsreader, which is free, for about two years.
    It works on Windows and Linux. It has a lot of features, but a few bugs
    remain in the current version. It is very good at filtering out unwanted
    posts (you can use regexes etc.)

    More information is here:

    http://pan.rebelbase.com/

    There is also a user group you can access via Gmane.

    Outlook Express on Windows is another option. It is fairly effective at
    filtering and is very easy to use. I understand that the Evolution email
    client has a news reading facility too, although I've never tried it.

    Ben Bullock, Jul 4, 2008
  16. nolo contendere

    prawn Guest

    On Thu, 03 Jul 2008 10:40:28 -0700, nolo contendere wrote:

    > This isn't about Perl, but it is about this newsgroup. I'm becoming
    > irritated by the spam that I see (I use Google Groups) and was wondering
    > if someone could suggest a great free newsreader, as well as where and
    > how to acquire it.

    I cheat and use leafnode as a downstream server. I then filter on the
    number of cross-posted groups[1] in a post and the names of cross-posted
    groups[2].

    Then I can use which ever news client I like and don't have to mess about
    with kill-files.

    [1] /etc/news/leafnode/config : maxcrosspost = n
    [2] /etc/news/leafnode/filters: ^Newsgroups:.^alt.* or any re you like

    --
    p BotM#1 LotR#9

    prawn, Jul 4, 2008
  17. nolo contendere

    Guest

    On Thu, 3 Jul 2008 21:57:25 -0700, Keith Keller <-francisco.ca.us> wrote:

    >On 2008-07-03, <> wrote:
    >>
    >> Free Agent is good if you can still find it.

    >How is Free Agent, anyway? I heard it's good if you can get it.
    >
    >I like slrn; easily available for un*x (including OS X); can probably
    >get it as part of Cygwin for Windows too.
    >
    >--keith

    I never used Free Agent. Had always had the full Agent.
    Agent went from 1,2,3 and now 4. I stopped at 2 (32 bit) for windows.

    It has all I need for Usenet (don't use it for email). It will handle
    bulk very nicely and don't need image viewers nor html processing.
    Does yenc and uue very nicely for attachments. Posting is a breaze.
    Many filters, configurations, setup options... lots of tools, etc.

    I think version 4 has all the bells and whistles, including multiple
    server/identities.

    As far as I know, its still 29 dollars US. Its by far the most complete
    solution for nntp under windows. Just google Forte Agent. "Free Agent"
    was a version 1 product I think, but there is a version 4 shareware I
    think.

    Some links:

    http://www.sharewarejunkies.com/07zwd04/forte_agent.htm
    http://www.forteinc.com/agent/index.php