Comp.Object FAQ - Version II Beta - Latest Object Oriented Resource - Please Participate!

Discussion in 'C++' started by Robert Hathaway, Jul 29, 2003.

  1. COMP.OBJECT FAQ
    Version II Beta now Available
    http://www.objectfaq.com/oofaq2
    - Latest Important Information on Object Technology - What's New Page
    - What professionals *must keep up on* in rapidly changing environment
    - Available on Homepage, email notification on updates now available
    - Good Resource Site - Latest in Object Technology
    - Complete Coverage of Object Orientation
    - Up to date on Java, C++, .net (more C# soon)
    - Runs on J2EE/EJB site, very cool running examples
    - Participate in new OO Survey (J2EE/EJB impl) - Real-Time Results
    - Survey soon canonical example of J2EE/OO Arch/Design patterns

    What's New:
    0.9 What is Open Source Software? (And where to get best OO)
    0.10 What are the Major new Object Oriented Technologies?
    0.11 What are Web Services?
    0.12 What is available on Software Architectures?

    The comp.object FAQ, at one time the most up to date resource on object
    technology anywhere, is back in business. A new beta site has gone up
    hosted on the open source JBOSS J2EE/EJB platform and all are invited
    to join in and take a look. A new survey on object technology
    is available for those who logon, results are presented in real-time.
    New surveys, information of greatest interest to those in OO, and new
    examples and patterns are available and much more new material is
    forthcoming. New summaries on J2EE, .net, Web Services, and open
    source, all rapidly changing and critical to keep up on by professionals,
    are available and examples of all, complete with design documentation
    will be available shortly, including those now running on the site.

    A new summary 'cheat sheet' of the GOF patterns, which can help to learn
    all of them and when to use them in a glance - will be available within a
    week, and a summary and comparison matrix of new architectural styles,
    approaches, and patterns (yes, even including RUP and XP) will follow and
    provide an opportunity to see all of the new software architecture methods
    at a glance.

    Please take a look at the new Object FAQ and participate in the latest
    survey, by doing so you and the entire OO community will benefit by seeing
    the results. The first survey is a beta test, more interesting surveys
    will be available shortly, 1 per month on topics we all need to keep up to
    date on. Feedback is most welcome. I'd like to think the comp.object
    FAQ, one of the first documents up on the Web, is the best FAQ around and
    with your participation will stay that way.

    Best Regards!
    Bob Hathaway

    Object FAQ Maintainer

    Robert Hathaway, Jul 29, 2003

  2. Hello,

    Forgot to mention, upon login and survey, access to a printable GOF patterns
    summary sheet is available that allows learning/using *all* GOF patterns
    very
    quickly, especially is used in conjunction with the book, which someone
    should
    have lying around. Soon The Sun Core J2EE Paterns and others will follow.
    From the Object FAQ:

    Available Resources
    ====================
    * The Gang of 4 (Erich Gamma, Richard Helm, Ralph Johnson, John Vlissides)
    wrote the seminal Design Patterns book which began a strong movement
    within the object community towards higher quality design. The below
    study sheets should be used in conjuction with their book. The Object
    Faq author uses these sheets as a quick reference when designing and
    developing programs, when greater detail is required the book is used
    for reference. This also served as an excellent study aid to the
    Sun J2EE Architect's Exam, one section coveres the GOF patterns.
    The GOF Summary was intended and best presented when printed out,
    otherwise zoom is required.

    GOF Summary

    Ref: Design Patterns by Erich Gamma, Richard Helm, Ralph Johnson,
    John Vlissides. Addison Wesley 1995. ISBN: 0201633612

    Best Regards,
    Bob

    Robert J Hathaway III, Jul 29, 2003