    Or maybe some non-binding agreement?
    --
    Uno

    Uno, Sep 24, 2010

  2. Uno

    Alan Curry Guest

    In article <>, Uno <> wrote:
    >Is there any notion of a potential "companion processor" in standard C?
    > I did a search for the term in n1256.pdf and got nothing.

    I've never heard of it before. My first guess would be that you mean
    "coprocessor", as in Intel 80387 (reinforced by the later mention of
    IEEE754). And the answer would be that C doesn't care about how work is
    divided between chips in a machine.

    >Almost certainly it would not exist in the standard itself. The
    >processors that C first imagined were Randian clickers.
    >
    >Along the way, it becomes very popular and finds that it needs to have
    >opinions on things like IEEE754. Everyone I talk to says that both C
    >and Fortran got this wrong, but I have yet to figure out why.
    >
    >Is it maybe one of those things that was never written because everyone
    >(in the C community) wanted to have it be the lingua franca.
    >
    >Or maybe some non-binding agreement?

    But I really don't know how to make sense of your question. I think you'll
    have to define "companion processor" for us. It may be a term that only
    Fortran programmers know.

    --
    Alan Curry

    Alan Curry, Sep 25, 2010

  3. Uno

    steve Guest

    On Sep 24, 6:04 pm, (Alan Curry) wrote:
    > In article <>, Uno  <> wrote:
    > >Is there any notion of a potential "companion processor" in standard C?
    > >  I did a search for the term in n1256.pdf and got nothing.

    > I've never heard of it before. My first guess would be that you mean
    > "coprocessor", as in Intel 80387 (reinforced by the later mention of
    > IEEE754). And the answer would be that C doesn't care about how work is
    > divided between chips in a machine.
    >

    > >Almost certainly it would not exist in the standard itself.  The
    > >processors that C first imagined were Randian clickers.

    > >Along the way, it becomes very popular and finds that it needs to have
    > >opinions on things like IEEE754.  Everyone I talk to says that both C
    > >and Fortran got this wrong, but I have yet to figure out why.

    > >Is it maybe one of those things that was never written because everyone
    > >(in the C community) wanted to have it be the lingua franca.

    > >Or maybe some non-binding agreement?

    > But I really don't know how to make sense of your question. I think you'll
    > have to define "companion processor" for us. It may be a term that only
    > Fortran programmers know.

    Yes, it is a Fortran only term. A Fortran processor is anything
    that can translate the Fortran language into some that gets an
    answer. Most people associate a Fortran processor with a Fortran
    compiler. Fortran has a feature known as the ISO C BINDING, which
    as the name suggests tries to define an inter-language interface
    between Fortran and ISO C. In the Fortran standard, the term
    companion processor is the C processor (ie., the C compiler).

    Having read OP's original post, it appears to be a rambling
    free association of terms from the C and Fortran standard
    with a vague reference to IEEE 754.

    --
    steve

    steve, Sep 25, 2010
  4. Uno

    Uno Guest

    steve wrote:
    > On Sep 24, 6:04 pm, (Alan Curry) wrote:
    >> In article <>, Uno <> wrote:
    >>> Is there any notion of a potential "companion processor" in standard C?
    >>> I did a search for the term in n1256.pdf and got nothing.

    >> I've never heard of it before. My first guess would be that you mean
    >> "coprocessor", as in Intel 80387 (reinforced by the later mention of
    >> IEEE754). And the answer would be that C doesn't care about how work is
    >> divided between chips in a machine.
    >>

    >>> Almost certainly it would not exist in the standard itself. The
    >>> processors that C first imagined were Randian clickers.
    >>> Along the way, it becomes very popular and finds that it needs to have
    >>> opinions on things like IEEE754. Everyone I talk to says that both C
    >>> and Fortran got this wrong, but I have yet to figure out why.
    >>> Is it maybe one of those things that was never written because everyone
    >>> (in the C community) wanted to have it be the lingua franca.
    >>> Or maybe some non-binding agreement?

    >> But I really don't know how to make sense of your question. I think you'll
    >> have to define "companion processor" for us. It may be a term that only
    >> Fortran programmers know.
    >>

    > Yes, it is a Fortran only term. A Fortran processor is anything
    > that can translate the Fortran language into some that gets an
    > answer. Most people associate a Fortran processor with a Fortran
    > compiler. Fortran has a feature known as the ISO C BINDING, which
    > as the name suggests tries to define an inter-language interface
    > between Fortran and ISO C. In the Fortran standard, the term
    > companion processor is the C processor (ie., the C compiler).

    With the exception that it doesn't need to be standard C.

    > Having read OP's original post, it appears to be a rambling
    > free association of terms from the C and Fortran standard
    > with a vague reference to IEEE 754.

    I'd just like to point out the ungrammatical nature of steve's last
    sentence. Furthermore, I think his point-of-view puerile with respect
    to computers that take down a job together, co-processing.

    Since he knows more and comments more about the interaction of my
    favorite syntaxes, he can insult me all day long.
    --
    Uno

    Uno, Sep 26, 2010
  5. Uno

    Tim Prince Guest

    On 9/25/2010 11:31 PM, Uno wrote:

    > Since he knows more and comments more about the interaction of my
    > favorite syntaxes, he can insult me all day long.

    and you can continue to demonstrate the deficiencies of our spam killers

    --
    Tim Prince

    Tim Prince, Sep 26, 2010
  6. Uno

    Seebs Guest

    On 2010-09-26, Tim Prince <> wrote:
    > On 9/25/2010 11:31 PM, Uno wrote:
    >> Since he knows more and comments more about the interaction of my
    >> favorite syntaxes, he can insult me all day long.

    > and you can continue to demonstrate the deficiencies of our spam killers

    I still don't understand why "Uno" has to change nyms every so often to
    avoid killfiles. You'd think he'd be happier if the people who think he's
    a troll or an idiot weren't reading his posts.

    -s

    Seebs, Sep 26, 2010
  7. Uno

    Uno Guest

    Tim Prince wrote:
    > On 9/25/2010 11:31 PM, Uno wrote:
    >

    >> Since he knows more and comments more about the interaction of my
    >> favorite syntaxes, he can insult me all day long.

    > and you can continue to demonstrate the deficiencies of our spam killers

    and since you post useful source, just go ahead and add an insult. I
    think of you like Tim P., one of russian professors. He may have
    sounded mean on the internet, but he was 5'6".

    I'll bet dollars to donuts that you and steve can't be 12 feet tall.
    --
    Uno

    Uno, Sep 27, 2010
  8. Uno

    Uno Guest

    Seebs wrote:
    > On 2010-09-26, Tim Prince <> wrote:
    >> On 9/25/2010 11:31 PM, Uno wrote:
    >>> Since he knows more and comments more about the interaction of my
    >>> favorite syntaxes, he can insult me all day long.

    >> and you can continue to demonstrate the deficiencies of our spam killers

    > I still don't understand why "Uno" has to change nyms every so often to
    > avoid killfiles. You'd think he'd be happier if the people who think he's
    > a troll or an idiot weren't reading his posts.

    No, you british turd.

    It's time you did a CBFalconer and just died.
    --
    Uno

    Uno, Sep 27, 2010
  9. On Sep 27, 11:59 am, Uno <> wrote:

    > It's time you did a CBFalconer and just died.

    And what do you think people who might have known Chuck will think on
    reading that?

    Please show a bit of commonsense.

    Malcolm McLean, Sep 27, 2010
  10. Uno

    Tom St Denis Guest

    On Sep 27, 7:00 am, Richard <> wrote:
    > Malcolm McLean <> writes:
    > > On Sep 27, 11:59 am, Uno <> wrote:

    > >> It's time you did a CBFalconer and just died.

    > > And what do you think people who might have known Chuck will think on
    > > reading that?

    > > Please show a bit of commonsense.

    > Oh shit. Chuck didn't pass away did he?
    >
    > I'm sorry to hear that.

    Even if he hadn't [I don't know one way or the other but it sounds
    familiar] you don't wish for peoples death. I suspect "Uno" refers to
    the number of surviving brain cells in his head...

    Tom

    Tom St Denis, Sep 27, 2010
  11. Uno <> wrote:
    > Seebs wrote:

    > >> and you can continue to demonstrate the deficiencies of our spam killers

    > > I still don't understand why "Uno" has to change nyms every so often to
    > > avoid killfiles. You'd think he'd be happier if the people who think he's
    > > a troll or an idiot weren't reading his posts.

    > No, you british turd.

    > It's time you did a CBFalconer and just died.

    PLONK
    --
    \ Jens Thoms Toerring ___

    Jens Thoms Toerring, Sep 27, 2010
  12. Uno

    Seebs Guest

    Uno <> wrote:
    > No, you british turd.

    You know, this pretty much summarizes your problem. You're not just sometimes
    mistaken; you're an aggressive seeker after nonsense, who will go to great
    lengths to come up with ludicrous things to believe for no reason other than
    that they contradict reality.

    Hint: While it's true that I've been in Britain a couple of times, it's not
    even in the top three of countries I've spent time in.

    -s

    Seebs, Sep 27, 2010
  13. Malcolm McLean <> writes:
    > On Sep 27, 11:59 am, Uno <> wrote:
    >> It's time you did a CBFalconer and just died.
    >>

    > And what do you think people who might have known Chuck will think on
    > reading that?
    >
    > Please show a bit of commonsense.

    I doubt that this "Uno" character has any real information.

    There was some speculation last year that CBFalconer had died.
    At the time, jacob navia was kind enough to phone him and confirm
    that he was ok. jacob, I wonder if you could try again, just to
    make sure, and report back. I'd be grateful, and I'm sure plenty
    of others would as well.

    (I've tried dropping Chuck an e-mail; no response yet, but too
    soon to worry.)

    Nokia

    Keith Thompson, Sep 27, 2010
  14. Uno

    Uno Guest

    Jens Thoms Toerring wrote:
    > Uno <> wrote:
    >> Seebs wrote:
    >>> I still don't understand why "Uno" has to change nyms every so often to
    >>> avoid killfiles. You'd think he'd be happier if the people who think he's
    >>> a troll or an idiot weren't reading his posts.

    >> No, you british turd.

    >> It's time you did a CBFalconer and just died.

    > PLONK

    Das haette nicht gewollt. Plonk

    --
    Uno

    Uno, Sep 30, 2010
  15. Uno

    Uno Guest

    Seebs wrote:
    > Uno <> wrote:
    >> No, you british turd.

    > You know, this pretty much summarizes your problem. You're not just sometimes
    > mistaken; you're an aggressive seeker after nonsense, who will go to great
    > lengths to come up with ludicrous things to believe for no reason other than
    > that they contradict reality.
    >
    > Hint: While it's true that I've been in Britain a couple of times, it's not
    > even in the top three of countries I've spent time in.
    >
    > -s

    Every time you land on my thread, it's a loss for me. So Chuck still
    lives. Thank goodness he's too sick to perform the same function you do.

    What brand of eurotrash are you?
    --
    Uno

    Uno, Sep 30, 2010
  16. Uno

    Uno Guest

    Tom St Denis wrote:
    > On Sep 27, 7:00 am, Richard <> wrote:
    >> Malcolm McLean <> writes:
    >>> And what do you think people who might have known Chuck will think on
    >>> reading that?
    >>> Please show a bit of commonsense.

    >> Oh shit. Chuck didn't pass away did he?
    >>
    >> I'm sorry to hear that.

    > Even if he hadn't [I don't know one way or the other but it sounds
    > familiar] you don't wish for peoples death. I suspect "Uno" refers to
    > the number of surviving brain cells in his head...
    >
    > Tom

    plonk

    Uno, Sep 30, 2010
  17. Uno

    Uno Guest

    io_x wrote:
    > "Richard" <> ha scritto nel messaggio
    >> Malcolm McLean <> writes:

    >>> And what do you think people who might have known Chuck will think on
    >>> reading that?
    >>>
    >>> Please show a bit of commonsense.
    >>>

    >> Oh shit. Chuck didn't pass away did he?
    >>
    >> I'm sorry to hear that.

    > it is sad that someone that spend time for help people,
    > has to return these hard words for the same group.
    > the answer to the question of OP for print little double numbers
    > with printf is in the faq and in the book
    > it is right
    >
    > one stupid language or C language or all the world knowing
    > is less than one human

    Chuch may have a colostomy bag in real life, but in clc, he was an asshole.

    Anybody who wants to enter my killfile can respond with something
    snarky. I'll remind respondents that I'm OP and that I did not want
    Seebach shitting on my thread.

    I don't mean you, seebs. I'd like to know from you how you would
    compare and contrast yourself and chuck.
    --
    Uno

    Uno, Sep 30, 2010
  18. Uno

    Nick Guest

    Uno <> writes:

    > io_x wrote:
    >> "Richard" <> ha scritto nel messaggio

    >>> Oh shit. Chuck didn't pass away did he?
    >>>
    >>> I'm sorry to hear that.

    >> it is sad that someone that spend time for help people,
    >> has to return these hard words for the same group.
    >> the answer to the question of OP for print little double numbers
    >> with printf is in the faq and in the book
    >> it is right
    >>
    >> one stupid language or C language or all the world knowing
    >> is less than one human
    >>

    > Chuch may have a colostomy bag in real life, but in clc, he was an asshole.
    >
    > Anybody who wants to enter my killfile can respond with something
    > snarky. I'll remind respondents that I'm OP and that I did not want
    > Seebach shitting on my thread.

    Please, please, please killfile me. Will that do?

    I guess I'll never know -- PLONK!

    Nick, Sep 30, 2010
  19. Uno

    Jorgen Grahn Guest

    On Mon, 2010-09-27, Richard wrote:
    > Oh shit. Chuck didn't pass away did he?
    >
    > I'm sorry to hear that.

    *PLONK*

    --
    // Jorgen Grahn <grahn@ Oo o. . .
    \X/ snipabacken.se> O o .

    Jorgen Grahn, Sep 30, 2010
  20. Jorgen Grahn <> writes:
    > On Mon, 2010-09-27, Richard wrote:
    >> Oh shit. Chuck didn't pass away did he?
    >>
    >> I'm sorry to hear that.

    > *PLONK*

    Huh? I thought Richard was being sincere.

    Nokia

    Keith Thompson, Sep 30, 2010