compare between languages

anoosh

what is the advantages and disadvantages of ruby vs. other programming
languages such as java, php, python

Rick DeNatale

what is the advantages and disadvantages of ruby vs. other programming
languages such as java, php, python

Programming languages are like shoes.

Do you want stylish, popular, or comfortable?

And if you want comfortable, sometimes you need time to break a new pair in.

And sometimes you keep wearing that old pair in the closet even though
they've gotten out of style and really need to have the soles
replaced.

Or you wear a popular/stylish shoe even though it kills your feet.

In other words this is a very personal question which only the
individual can decide.

xymip

HI,
Using terminal with ruby I encountered a problem
with the puts command. Here is the track:

Last login: Sun May 13 05:42:08 on console
Welcome to Darwin!
[stefan's-computer-2:~] stivi% echo hello world
hello world
[stefan's-computer-2:~] stivi% ruby -v
ruby 1.8.2 (2004-12-25) [universal-darwin8.0]
[stefan's-computer-2:~] stivi% puts 1+2
tcsh: puts: Command not found.

Has the command changed?

Thanks in advance
Stefan

Sebastian Hungerecker

xymip said:
HI,
Using terminal with ruby I encountered a problem
with the puts command. Here is the track:

Last login: Sun May 13 05:42:08 on console
Welcome to Darwin!
[stefan's-computer-2:~] stivi% echo hello world
hello world
[stefan's-computer-2:~] stivi% ruby -v
ruby 1.8.2 (2004-12-25) [universal-darwin8.0]
[stefan's-computer-2:~] stivi% puts 1+2
tcsh: puts: Command not found.

Has the command changed?

tcsh doesn't have a puts command and never had. Ruby has a puts command, but
you didn't actually start ruby, you entered the command into your shell.
You have to start the ruby interpreter or irb before you can enter ruby code.

philip

HI,
Using terminal with ruby I encountered a problem
with the puts command. Here is the track:

Last login: Sun May 13 05:42:08 on console
Welcome to Darwin!
[stefan's-computer-2:~] stivi% echo hello world
hello world
[stefan's-computer-2:~] stivi% ruby -v
ruby 1.8.2 (2004-12-25) [universal-darwin8.0]
[stefan's-computer-2:~] stivi% puts 1+2
tcsh: puts: Command not found.

Has the command changed?

Thanks in advance
Stefan

Hi Stefan,
you should give irb a chance:

philip@jupiter:~$ irb
irb(main):001:0> puts "hello world"
hello world
=> nil
irb(main):002:0>

xymip

xymip said:
HI,
Using terminal with ruby I encountered a problem
with the puts command. Here is the track:
Last login: Sun May 13 05:42:08 on console
Welcome to Darwin!
[stefan's-computer-2:~] stivi% echo hello world
hello world
[stefan's-computer-2:~] stivi% ruby -v
ruby 1.8.2(2004-12-25) [universal-darwin8.0]
[stefan's-computer-2:~] stivi% puts 1+2
tcsh: puts: Command not found.
Has the command changed?

tcsh doesn't have a puts command and never had. Ruby has a puts command, but
you didn't actually start ruby, you entered the command into your shell.
You have to start the ruby interpreter or irb before you can enter ruby code.

Yes.
Thanks both.
Starting irb the commands work.
I am using Chris Pine's 2005 book to learn ruby on mac.
The newer ruby books are still out (lots of demand in our library).
They are on reserve and I should get them in a few weeks.
In the meantime what is the best way to create a program file and then
run it via terminal?
Thanks for the help.

Martin DeMello

In the meantime what is the best way to create a program file and then
run it via terminal?

Edit the file with your favourite text editor, save it with a .rb
extension, then run it from the prompt using ruby <filename> <args>.
The command line arguments are captured in ARGV. For example

~ $ cat >> greet.rb
name = ARGV[0]
puts "Hello #{name}"
~ $ ruby greet.rb Martin
Hello Martin
~ $

martin

Sebastian Hungerecker

Martin said:
Edit the file with your favourite text editor, save it with a .rb
extension, then run it from the prompt using ruby <filename> <args>.

Well, if it's a program that you are going to run a lot, I'd suggest
a) saving it without the .rb extension, making it executable via "chmod +x
<filename>" and moving it into a directory in your $PATH or
b) saving it with the .rb extension, making it executalbe and create a symlink
in your $PATH that doesn't have the extension.
Then you can call it via "<programmname> <args>" from anywhere you want.
The latter is what I do.