Compare COM DLL and DLL with its exported functions

Tony Johansson

Hello!

Is there a big difference between COM DLL and DLL with it's exported
functions?

//Tony

Michael Loritsch

Yes, there is a big difference.

COM DLL's must export the following functions in order to interact with
the COM subsystem:

DllCanUnloadNow
DllGetClassObject
DllRegisterServer
DllUnregisterServer

Also in COM, you do not load the DLL directly or call these methods
directly, as they are invoked by the COM subsytem.

When you write a regular DLL, there are no such restrictions. You can
export anything you like, and call any of the exported methods that you
like.

Warmest Regards,

Michael Loritsch

Ivan Vecerina

Tony Johansson said:
Is there a big difference between COM DLL and DLL with it's exported
functions?

Is there a big difference between C and C++ ? ;)

You are asking to compare apples and oranges. Yes: there are real
differences and incompatibilities. What more can be said?

Also, Microsoft COM (and even DLLs) are out of topic in this NG.
Try asking a more specific question in a microsoft-specific forum.

Take care,
Ivan

Jack Klein

Yes, there is a big difference.

COM DLL's must export the following functions in order to interact with
the COM subsystem:

Can you please provide a reference to the section of the ISO C++
language standard that defines this? If you cannot, and I very well
know you cannot, please stop posting off-topic answers to off-topic
questions in this group.