    Any idea ? or existing tool that might help ?

    Thanks in advance

    Christophe.

    Christophe Rhin, May 24, 2004

  2. Hi Christophe,

    > I was thinking about using some kind of C++ preprocessor (Wave ?) or
    > C++ parser (Spirit) to build more comparable structures.

    Have a look at this one:
    http://astyle.sourceforge.net/

    Tilman

    Tilman Kuepper, May 24, 2004

  3. Christophe Rhin

    Derek Guest

    Christophe Rhin wrote:
    > I have two versions of the same C++ framework (> 200
    > 000 lines). These two versions evolved apart during 2
    > years from the same starting point. My goal is two find
    > "significant" differences between these two versions.
    >
    > A diff tool (like WinMerge, excellent) produces too many
    > differences (spaces, new lines, comments, real changes,
    > renaming, ...). Now I am using text processors to remove
    > all trivial differences before going into WinMerge : this
    > is a long process, without undo (no mistake allowed !)
    >
    > I was thinking about using some kind of C++ preprocessor
    > (Wave ?) or C++ parser (Spirit) to build more comparable
    > structures.
    >
    > Any idea ? or existing tool that might help ?

    You might want to try Beyond Compare 2:

    http://www.scootersoftware.com/

    It can be very clever at ignoring spaces, comments, and
    other irrelevant details. Best diff tool I have ever used.

    Derek, May 24, 2004
  4. You may want to take a look at the Complite File Comparison Family at

    http://world.std.com/~jdveale/index.html

    All these utilities perform a true word-by-word comparison.
    Keyword and phrase processing will allow you to ignore
    a good number of renamed variables, ignore most comments and so on.

    In particular you may want to take a look at the Sibling Software Merge
    utilities as well. Although interactive, when combined with the
    directory scan, it's quite efficient.

    I'd be happy to discuss your application in more detail,
    contact information is on the web page.

    Jim Veale

    James D. Veale, May 24, 2004