    more open discussion really. :)

    Regards,
    -Senno
    Senno, Jan 6, 2004

  2. "Senno" <> wrote...
    > It seems to me, that a lot of ppl here have experience with
    > different compilers.
    >
    > Which one do you prefer and why? I guess I know some
    > 'standard' compilers, like Borland, MS, Metrowerks, GCC...
    > But on what base do you choose the compiler to use,
    > besides the platform. UI, supported coding standard, ... ?
    >
    > Not really meant as "which is the best", but just an
    > more open discussion really. :)

    Just to play a devil's advocate, we're not Borg, our minds are
    not connected. If many _different_ ppl here have experience
    with different compilers, how the hell can we compare them to
    actually determine our preference?

    In most cases we use what the organisation we are working for
    selected to purchase. How _they_ arrived to that conclusion
    is another story.

    Victor
    Victor Bazarov, Jan 6, 2004

  3. Senno

    jbruno4000 Guest

    >Just to play a devil's advocate, we're not Borg, our minds are
    >not connected. If many _different_ ppl here have experience
    >with different compilers, how the hell can we compare them to
    >actually determine our preference?
    >
    >In most cases we use what the organisation we are working for
    >selected to purchase. How _they_ arrived to that conclusion
    >is another story.
    >
    >Victor

    Victor,
    You definitely have a way with words!
    jbruno4000, Jan 7, 2004
  4. Senno

    Senno Guest

    hmm, ok... eventhough this might
    be the case for a lot, using the stuff the company bought,
    I was still hoping, that ppl would be still able to give some views
    (their personal likes and dislikes) on different compilers,
    they probably have used over the years.

    But, 'not Borg'...?... No personal opinions...??
    Sounds like Borg to me! ;)

    Regards
    -Senno

    Senno, Jan 7, 2004
  5. Senno

    Senno, Jan 7, 2004
  6. Senno

    Jeff Schwab Guest

    Senno wrote:
    > hmm, ok... eventhough this might
    > be the case for a lot, using the stuff the company bought,
    > I was still hoping, that ppl would be still able to give some views
    > (their personal likes and dislikes) on different compilers,
    > they probably have used over the years.
    >
    > But, 'not Borg'...?... No personal opinions...??
    > Sounds like Borg to me! ;)
    >
    > Regards
    > -Senno
    >
    > "Victor Bazarov" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>"Senno" <> wrote...
    >>
    >>>It seems to me, that a lot of ppl here have experience with
    >>>different compilers.
    >>>
    >>>Which one do you prefer and why? I guess I know some
    >>>'standard' compilers, like Borland, MS, Metrowerks, GCC...
    >>>But on what base do you choose the compiler to use,
    >>>besides the platform. UI, supported coding standard, ... ?
    >>>
    >>>Not really meant as "which is the best", but just an
    >>>more open discussion really. :)

    >>Just to play a devil's advocate, we're not Borg, our minds are
    >>not connected. If many _different_ ppl here have experience
    >>with different compilers, how the hell can we compare them to
    >>actually determine our preference?
    >>
    >>In most cases we use what the organisation we are working for
    >>selected to purchase. How _they_ arrived to that conclusion
    >>is another story.
    >>
    >>Victor

    My favorites are the Sun compiler and GCC. I didn't like VC++6, but I
    haven't tried 7. I used AIX in college, and whatever compiler was on it
    worked fine.
    Jeff Schwab, Jan 7, 2004