comparing compilers...

Senno

It seems to me, that a lot of ppl here have experience with
different compilers.

Which one do you prefer and why? I guess I know some
'standard' compilers, like Borland, MS, Metrowerks, GCC...
But on what base do you choose the compiler to use,
besides the platform. UI, supported coding standard, ... ?

Not really meant as "which is the best", but just an
more open discussion really. :)

Regards,
-Senno

Victor Bazarov

Senno said:
It seems to me, that a lot of ppl here have experience with
different compilers.

Which one do you prefer and why? I guess I know some
'standard' compilers, like Borland, MS, Metrowerks, GCC...
But on what base do you choose the compiler to use,
besides the platform. UI, supported coding standard, ... ?

Not really meant as "which is the best", but just an
more open discussion really. :)

Just to play a devil's advocate, we're not Borg, our minds are
not connected. If many _different_ ppl here have experience
with different compilers, how the hell can we compare them to
actually determine our preference?

In most cases we use what the organisation we are working for
selected to purchase. How _they_ arrived to that conclusion
is another story.

Victor

jbruno4000

Just to play a devil's advocate, we're not Borg, our minds are
not connected. If many _different_ ppl here have experience
with different compilers, how the hell can we compare them to
actually determine our preference?

In most cases we use what the organisation we are working for
selected to purchase. How _they_ arrived to that conclusion
is another story.

Victor

Victor,
You definitely have a way with words!

Senno

hmm, ok... eventhough this might
be the case for a lot, using the stuff the company bought,
I was still hoping, that ppl would be still able to give some views
(their personal likes and dislikes) on different compilers,
they probably have used over the years.

But, 'not Borg'...?... No personal opinions...??
Sounds like Borg to me! ;)

Regards
-Senno

Senno

hmm, ok... eventhough this might
be the case for a lot, using the stuff the company bought,
I was still hoping, that ppl would be still able to give some views
(their personal likes and dislikes) on different compilers,
they probably have used over the years.

But, 'not Borg'...?... No personal opinions...??
Sounds like Borg to me! ;)

Regards
-Senno

Jeff Schwab

Senno said:
hmm, ok... eventhough this might
be the case for a lot, using the stuff the company bought,
I was still hoping, that ppl would be still able to give some views
(their personal likes and dislikes) on different compilers,
they probably have used over the years.

But, 'not Borg'...?... No personal opinions...??
Sounds like Borg to me! ;)

Regards
-Senno

My favorites are the Sun compiler and GCC. I didn't like VC++6, but I
haven't tried 7. I used AIX in college, and whatever compiler was on it
worked fine.