    is there any Links in Internet about this topics?

    thanks,
    amir

    news.rz.uni-karlsruhe.de, Jul 17, 2003

  2. news.rz.uni-karlsruhe.de

    Tim Tyler Guest

    news.rz.uni-karlsruhe.de <-karlsruhe.de> wrote:

    : did some one now, why java software on linux running faster than on windows.

    I find the opposite - Java software runs slower on Linux than on Windows.

    Not so much energy has been put into getting it to go fast there - I guess.
    --
    __________

    Tim Tyler, Jul 17, 2003

  3. news.rz.uni-karlsruhe.de wrote:

    > hallo everbody,
    > did some one now, why java software on linux running faster than on
    > windows. not all PC have the same CPUs, Memory,...

    Are you comparing one machine with both Linux and Windows installed in a
    dual-boot fashion?

    As for differences in performance, they're two different operating systems
    and, as such, are running two different binaries. Even if the binaries
    share the same source code, their runtimes are going to be different by
    nature of them 1) going through different compilers with different
    optimization technologies and 2) running on different operating systems
    with different optimization technologies. You can't expect them to always
    be the same.

    --
    Darryl L. Pierce <>
    Visit the Infobahn Offramp - <http://bellsouthpwp.net/m/c/mcpierce>

    Darryl L. Pierce, Jul 18, 2003
  4. Tim Tyler wrote:
    > : did some one now, why java software on linux running faster than on
    > : windows.
    >
    > I find the opposite - Java software runs slower on Linux than on Windows.

    Depending on what you're running. I've found UI applications to function
    slower on *nix machines due to X, but haven't used such applications for
    awhile now.

    Darryl L. Pierce, Jul 18, 2003
  5. news.rz.uni-karlsruhe.de

    Tim Tyler Guest

    Darryl L. Pierce <> wrote:
    : news.rz.uni-karlsruhe.de wrote:

    :> did some one now, why java software on linux running faster than on
    :> windows. not all PC have the same CPUs, Memory,...

    : Are you comparing one machine with both Linux and Windows installed in a
    : dual-boot fashion?

    FWIW, that's what I was doing.
    --
    __________

    Tim Tyler, Jul 19, 2003
  6. news.rz.uni-karlsruhe.de

    FGB Guest

    news.rz.uni-karlsruhe.de wrote:
    > hallo everbody,
    > did some one now, why java software on linux running faster than on windows.
    > not all PC have the same CPUs, Memory,...
    >
    > is there any Links in Internet about this topics?
    >
    > thanks,
    > amir

    I have done some benchmarking on Windows / Linux with Sun's 1.3.1 VM. I
    found:

    1) Memory allocation is faster under Windows.
    2) File I/O (at least writing to) is faster under Linux.

    I dual booted with Win2K and Suse 7.2 LGX.

    Fred Burkley

    FGB, Jul 19, 2003
  7. Tim Tyler wrote:
    > :> did some one now, why java software on linux running faster than on
    > :> windows. not all PC have the same CPUs, Memory,...
    >
    > : Are you comparing one machine with both Linux and Windows installed in a
    > : dual-boot fashion?
    >
    > FWIW, that's what I was doing.

    That at least gives a consistent hardware platform between the two for
    benchmarking them. Were they the same version of the JRE as well, and were
    both released by Sun, or did you use the Blackdown port on Linux?

    Darryl L. Pierce, Jul 20, 2003