Comparing lists

Odd-R.

I have to lists, A and B, that may, or may not be equal. If they are not
identical, I want the output to be three new lists, X,Y and Z where X has
all the elements that are in A, but not in B, and Y contains all the
elements that are B but not in A. Z will then have the elements that are
in both A and B.

One way of doing this is of course to iterate throug the lists and compare
each of the element, but is there a more efficient way?

Thanks in advance!

Laszlo Zsolt Nagy

Odd-R. said:
I have to lists, A and B, that may, or may not be equal. If they are not
identical, I want the output to be three new lists, X,Y and Z where X has
all the elements that are in A, but not in B, and Y contains all the
elements that are B but not in A. Z will then have the elements that are
in both A and B.
These are set operations.
One way of doing this is of course to iterate throug the lists and compare
each of the element, but is there a more efficient way?
Maybe, using sets?

L1 = [1,2,3,4]
L2=[3,4,5,6]
diff1 = list(set(L1)-set(L2)) # [1,2]
diff2 = list(set(L2)-set(L1)) # [5,6]
symdiff = diff1+diff2 # Symmetric difference [1,2,5,6]
intersect = set(L1+L2) - set(symdiff) # Intersect [3,4]

Best,

Les

ajikoe

try to use set.
L1 = [1,1,2,3,4]
L2 = [1,3, 99]
A = set(L1)
B = set(L2)

X = A-B
print X

Y = B-A
print Y

Z = A | B
print Z

Cheers,
pujo

Christian Stapfer

try to use set.
L1 = [1,1,2,3,4]
L2 = [1,3, 99]
A = set(L1)
B = set(L2)

X = A-B
print X

Y = B-A
print Y

Z = A | B
print Z

But how "efficient" is this? Could you be a bit
more explicit on that point? What is the order
of complexity of set([...]) or of A-B, B-A,
A | B, A ^ B and A & B? - The Python Documentation
leaves me completely in the dark in this regard.

Sorting the two lists and then extracting
A-B, B-A, A|B, A & B and A ^ B in one single
pass seems to me very likely to be much faster
for large lists.

Regards,
Christian

George Sakkis

Christian Stapfer said:
Sorting the two lists and then extracting
A-B, B-A, A|B, A & B and A ^ B in one single
pass seems to me very likely to be much faster
for large lists.

Why don't you implement it, test it and time it to be more convincing about your intuition ?

George

Steven D'Aprano

Sorting the two lists and then extracting
A-B, B-A, A|B, A & B and A ^ B in one single
pass seems to me very likely to be much faster
for large lists.

Unless you are running a Python compiler in your head, chances are your
intuition has no connection to the actual performance of Python except by
pure coincidence.

Write some code, and time it in action.

In fact, here is some code I've written for you, complete with timer. Do
yourself a favour, and run it and see for yourself which is faster.

Then, if you think you can write a list version that is more efficient
than my (admittedly very inefficient) version, please do so. Then time the
difference again. Then think about how much time it took you to write,
test and debug your list version, compared to my four lines using sets.

from sets import Set
import time

def compare_and_separate(A, B):
only_A = []
only_B = []
both_AB = []
for item in A:
# ignore items we've already seen before
if item in only_A or item in both_AB:
continue
if item in B:
both_AB.append(item)
else:
only_A.append(item)
for item in B:
# ignore items we've already seen before
if item in only_B or item in both_AB:
continue
only_B.append(item)
return (only_A, only_B, both_AB)

def compare_and_separate_with_sets(A, B):
only_A = list(Set(A)-Set(B))
only_B = list(Set(B)-Set(A))
both_AB = list(Set(A+B) - Set(only_A+only_B))
return (only_A, only_B, both_AB)

A = range(199) + range(44, 300, 3) + range(250, 500) + range(2000, 2100)
B = range(1000) + range(3000, 4000)

def tester():
# confirm that the two functions give the same results
r1 = compare_and_separate(range(5), range(3,8))
r2 = compare_and_separate_with_sets(range(5), range(3,8))
print r1
print r2
if r1 == r2:
print " Same."
else:
print " Warning: results are different."
loopit = range(20) # repeat the test 20 times for timing purposes
t1 = time.time()
for i in loopit:
results = compare_and_separate(A, B)
t1 = time.time() - t1
t2 = time.time()
for i in loopit:
results = compare_and_separate_with_sets(A, B)
t2 = time.time() - t2
print "Time with loops:", t1
print "Time with sets:", t2

Christian Stapfer

George Sakkis said:
Why don't you implement it, test it and time it
to be more convincing about your intuition ?

The problem is in the generation of the test data.
Even merely generating a set of (suitably "average",
"random", and suitably "worst case") datasets might
turn out to be a major undertaking.
If the documentation stated the order-of-magnitude
behavior of those basic operations up front, then
I (and *anyone* else who ever wanted to use those
operations on large lists / large sets) could do
a quick order-of-magnitude estimation of how
a certain program design will behave, performance
wise.
*Experimenting* is not necessarily as easy to
do as you seem to believe. How do you, for example,
hit upon the worst-case behavior with your test
data? - Without knowing *anything* about the
implementation it might a matter sheer luck.
If you *know* something about the implementation
then, of course, you might be able to figure it
out. (But note that if you know *that* much about
the implementation, you usually have an order-of-
magnitude estimate anyway and don't need to do
*any* experimenting in order to answer my question.)

Regards,
Christian

Steve Holden

Christian said:
[...]
You are, of course, either assuming that there's a single implementation
of Python, or that all implementations have the same behaviour. Or
alternatively you are asking all implementers to do what you seem to
consider so difficult (i.e. identify worst-case scenarios and then
estimate order-of-magnitude behaviour for them).

Test results with known test data are relatively easy to extrapolate
from, and if your test data are reasonably representative of live data
then so will your performance estimates.

Anyway, aren't you more interested in average behaviour than worst-case?
Most people are.

regards
Steve

Christian Stapfer

Steve Holden said:
You are, of course, either assuming that there's a
single implementation of Python,

Of course not!
or that all implementations have the same behaviour.

Of course not!

But it is reasonable, anyway, to ask for information
about a specific implementation (that one is *forced*
to use). Performance *will* depend on it, whether we
like it or not, whether that information is given by
the implementer or not.
And if the implementer wants to complain that
giving such information would break his wonderful
abstraction then I can only answer: It is *reality*
that *will* break your abstraction as regards
performance! It is, therefore, absolutely *no*
use to *pretend* you *can* avoid this form of "breaking
the abstraction" by simply avoiding to mention it
in the documentation...
Or alternatively you are asking all implementers
to do what you seem to consider so difficult
(i.e. identify worst-case scenarios and then estimate order-of-magnitude
behaviour for them).

I consider it the job of the implementer to know
about the trade-offs that he has been making in
choosing one particular implementation, and to
know what computational complexity therefore
attaches to the various operations exposed in
its interface. Why should *every* user of his
module be forced to either read the source
code of his implementation or try to figure
it out experiment-wise on his own?
Test results with known test data are relatively
easy to extrapolate from, and if your test data
are reasonably representative of live data then so will your performance
estimates.

How reasonable is it to ask me, or anyone else
for that matter, to extract, experiment-wise
(if it can be done at all with reasonable effort)
information that properly belongs to the implementer
and really should have been exposed in the
documentation in the first place?
Anyway, aren't you more interested in average
behaviour than worst-case? Most people are.

It depends. *I* am NOT the OP of this thread.
*The*OP* had asked for an "efficient" way
to do what he needed to do. There are many
measures of efficiency. Even "programmer efficiency"
may be one of them. But I assumed that, since
the OP took the time to ask his question in this
NG, that it really was about "computational
efficiency". Then he was offered solutions -
but they were offered just matter-of-factly.
*Surely* those who had posted those solutions
would be able to answer my question *why*
it was, that they *assumed* conversion into
sets to be more efficient than operating
on the lists in the first place. I was *not*
at all criticizing anyone (except, perhaps,
the Python documentation for its lack of
*insightful* information): I was just asking
for a *small* clarification that I *assumed*
(mistakenly it now appears) others could
*easily* provide.

Regards,
Christian

Scott David Daniels

A reasonable suggestion. A set must have the trade-offs involved.
The abstraction itself brings to mind the issues, and the performance
can, at least in theory, be handled there. If that is true (that
the "set" abstraction "sees" the problem), then you can rely on the
Python implementation of "set" to either now, or eventually, have
a "good" implementation -- one not too far off efficient. The Python
gang is good at this stuff; a "better" set implementation will win if
it can show better performance without related down-sides.

As to the "either now, or eventually;" if you _must_ have performance
now, not in some abstract future, then it behooves you to _test_,
_test_, _test_!
And, if the proper documentation is in place, and it
says "dictionary lookup is O(N)" (and you avoid using
it for exactly that reason), how surprised will you be
to discover that the O(N) is only reached if the hash
values of the keys are all equal?

Oh, maybe you expect "O(N)" to really mean "\Theta(N)".
Then, if you are a dweeb like me, you will respond that
"This is not possible, a dictionary of size N must take at
least 'O(lg N)' to read the key, never mind processing it."
But, it turns out, that given a bound on the size of a
process, processing an address is "O(1)", not "O(lg N)".
Is that too practical for you, or not enough?
Are you saying the documentation should characterize the
cases that achieve worst-case behavior? This is a stiff
burden indeed, not one I am used to in even the most rigorous
classes I've seen. If there is such a characterization,
how burned will you feel if a case is overlooked and that
case is the one that you sold to your customer? Are you
willing to provide the same guaranteed performance and
documentation of performance to your customer that you
you expect of the Python system? Would you mind if the
quality is proportional to the price you paid?
Of course not!

Of course not!
But it is reasonable, anyway, to ask for information
about a specific implementation (that one is *forced*
to use).
You are not _forced_ to use any implementation of Python.
You are free to implement your own Python system.
And if the implementer wants to complain that
giving such information would break his wonderful
abstraction then I can only answer: It is *reality*
that *will* break your abstraction as regards
performance! It is, therefore, absolutely *no*
use to *pretend* you *can* avoid this form of "breaking
the abstraction" by simply avoiding to mention it
in the documentation...
I simply repeat: I have never seen a paper characterizing
the performance of an algorithm as "O(expr(N))" that described
in details _all_ cases that reached that limit. At most such
papers describe _one_ such cases. Nor have I ever seen papers
describing the performance of an algorithm as "\Theta(expr(N))"
that characterized the cases that broke the "\Theta" performance.
If you provide me the papers, provide me a C compiler with
equivalent docs on all C expressions, and provide me the funding
to update the Python docs, I will be happy to do so for a single
version of Python and a since version of CPython. I expect I
will have an easier time of it than the IronPython people will
have.
I consider it the job of the implementer to know
about the trade-offs that he has been making in
choosing one particular implementation, and to
know what computational complexity therefore
attaches to the various operations exposed in
its interface.
Am I to take it you provide this to all of your customers?
How reasonable is it to ask me, or anyone else
for that matter, to extract, experiment-wise
(if it can be done at all with reasonable effort)
information that properly belongs to the implementer
and really should have been exposed in the
documentation in the first place?
Not at all reasonable. How reasonable is it to ask
me to provide you support information for free?

--Scott David Daniels
(e-mail address removed)

Christian Stapfer

Scott David Daniels said:
A reasonable suggestion. A set must have the trade-offs involved.
The abstraction itself brings to mind the issues, and the performance
can, at least in theory, be handled there. If that is true (that
the "set" abstraction "sees" the problem), then you can rely on the
Python implementation of "set" to either now, or eventually, have
a "good" implementation -- one not too far off efficient.

It is, unfortunately, not infrequently the case
that there are different implementations for
a given data type that are efficient in different
ways - but that there is no one single implementation
that is the most efficient in *all* regards.
Thus the implementer must make a trade-off,
and that trade-off has consequences, performance
wise, that he might want to tell the users of his
module about...
The Python gang is good at this stuff;

I'm not denying it. The question is about
telling users upfront what the consequences
are (roughly) of the trade-offs that have
been made so that they can use the modules
that have been provided more effectively.
a "better" set implementation will win if
it can show better performance without
related down-sides.

Is there ever such a thing? I always
thought that, most of the time, there
is no such thing as a free lunch in
this field.
As to the "either now, or eventually;" if you _must_ have performance
now, not in some abstract future, then it behooves you to _test_,
_test_, _test_!

Well, I might want to test: but *first* I want
to design, preferably in "armchair style"
- at least as regards the basic approach
that I want to take. This "armchair stage"
involves not infrequently the use of rough
complexity measures to exclude the clearly
unusable and chose, instead, an approach
that is very likely efficient enough for
what I need.
And, if the proper documentation is in place, and it
says "dictionary lookup is O(N)" (and you avoid using
it for exactly that reason), how surprised will you be
to discover that the O(N) is only reached if the hash
values of the keys are all equal?

It's not that difficult to distinguish
*average* case and *worst* case scenarios.
It might even be a good idea to state,
if that can easily be done, what the
*best* case happens do be...
Oh, maybe you expect "O(N)" to really mean "\Theta(N)".
Then, if you are a dweeb like me, you will respond that
"This is not possible, a dictionary of size N must take at
least 'O(lg N)' to read the key, never mind processing it."
But, it turns out, that given a bound on the size of a
process, processing an address is "O(1)", not "O(lg N)".
Is that too practical for you, or not enough?

I do not expect a developer to expend *inordinate*
amounts of work to figure out the computational
complexity of what he has implemented. But, as I
wrote, he *must* have thought about the matter, and
is thus, by definition, in a rather good position
to provide what he can frequently simply pull from
memory when it comes to documenting the interface
of his module.
Are you saying the documentation should characterize the
cases that achieve worst-case behavior? This is a stiff
burden indeed, not one I am used to in even the most rigorous
classes I've seen.

If it happens to be particularly difficult, for a
given implementation (of whatever abstract data type),
then, of course, state this upfront and leave it at
that.
If there is such a characterization,
how burned will you feel if a case is overlooked and that
case is the one that you sold to your customer?

I am not at all a lawyer type, as you seem to
imagine. I just want to suggest that some
(to the implementer - but not the average user)
*easily* available information about computational
complexity (especially for the most basic data types)
would be a good thing to have. Nothing more.
Are you
willing to provide the same guaranteed performance and
documentation of performance to your customer that you
you expect of the Python system?

I'm using python mainly as a very handy language to
write whatever (usually relatively small) utility
programs I happen to require for my main job. I am
not (currently) developing any "serious" programs
that are targeted for sale. (Thought the proper
functioning and adequate efficiency of my personal
utility programs really does matter, but it mainly
matters for *me* - and for my "customers", if I
can be said to have any, which seems doubtful,
it only matters indirectly at best.)
Even so, I frequently need to have a reasonable
idea of what computational complexity attaches
to certain operations on certain data types. But
I hardly ever have the time to go into an extended
period of first comparing several different approaches
by way of experiment.
Would you mind if the quality is proportional to
the price you paid?

There is really not need to indulge in polemics like
this. I am just making a suggestion as to what information
might *help* improve the usability of Python modules.
If making such suggestions regularly only led to negative
exchanges of this sort, there would be very little room
for learning in this community indeed...
You are not _forced_ to use any implementation of Python.

What I wanted to say is *not*, that it appears to be
a terrible burden to my inflated consumer-ego to
have to use something not *absolutely* perfect in
*all* respects, such as Python. What I wanted to
say, here, is just this: *whenever* a Python program
is run, it will run on some specific implementation
of Python. That much should be obvious.
You are free to implement your own Python system.

Don't be ridiculous.
I simply repeat: I have never seen a paper characterizing
the performance of an algorithm as "O(expr(N))" that described
in details _all_ cases that reached that limit.

That's what's usually called "throwing out the
baby with the bathwater". It is you (and only
you) here, who is arguing that if perfection is
not attainable (with reasonable effort), nothing
should be done at all. I as am willing to live
with imperfect module inferface specification as
I am willing with imperfect tools more generally.
But that will not stop me from making *suggestions*
for improvement (not arrogant demands, mind you).
At most such
papers describe _one_ such cases. Nor have I ever seen papers
describing the performance of an algorithm as "\Theta(expr(N))"
that characterized the cases that broke the "\Theta" performance.

To repeat: I was not asking for the impossible, not
even asking for the difficult, but simply asking for the
dumping of the (to the implementer, but not the average
user) obvious and reasonably certain information
about computational complexity of what operations
are exposed in the interface of a module.
I have seen *many* books on algorithms that specify
computational complexity measures for the algorithms
described. Any really good library of algorithms will
at least try to reach that standard, too.
If you provide me the papers, provide me a C compiler with
equivalent docs on all C expressions, and provide me the funding
to update the Python docs, I will be happy to do so for a single
version of Python and a since version of CPython.

I am not asking you, nor anyone else, to do
any amount of boring or otherwise hard work
here.
I expect I
will have an easier time of it than the IronPython people will
have.
Am I to take it you provide this to all of your customers?

I have no customers (lucky me). And I did not
want to pose as the all too frequently encountered
species of the arrogant (and equally ignorant)
customer who expects nothing but perfection
from *others* (but not himself, of course).
I am not at all like that: you are attacking
a figment of your imagination.
Not at all reasonable. How reasonable is it to ask
me to provide you support information for free?

Even providing the most basic information about
the interface of a module, even providing the
mere names of member functions, could be denied
on *that* basis. Thus, this argument fails.
It fails simply because it "proves" too much...

Regards,
Christian

Scott David Daniels

Let me begin by apologizing to Christian as I was too snippy in
my reply, and sounded even snippier than I meant to.

Christian said:
Is there ever such a thing? I always
thought that, most of the time, there
is no such thing as a free lunch in
If you look at the history of Python's sort, it has steadily gotten
better. The list implementations has been tweaked to produce better
performance appending and popping. There are a number of such cases.
In fact, as Python rolls along, code keeps getting improved. Usually
the requirement is that the change not degrade current benchmarks and
provide a substantial improvement in at least some practical cases.
As to the "either now, or eventually;" if you _must_ have performance
now, not in some abstract future, then it behooves you to _test_,
_test_, _test_!

Well, I might want to test: but *first* I want
to design, preferably in "armchair style" ... [using]
> rough complexity measures to ....

I think this is where I started over-reacting. There are
a number of requests here over time by people who state
that things would be so much better for every one if only
someone (never themselves) did some more work that they
might not otherwise want to do. The people who implement
the code often do so on their own time. I find the Python
docs surprisingly good for even commercial documentation.
For work that is done gratis, it is phenomenal. I hesitate
to ask any more of it (although I have pointed out bugs in
docs as I've found them).
It's not that difficult to distinguish
*average* case and *worst* case scenarios.
It might even be a good idea to state,
if that can easily be done, what the
*best* case happens do be...

I do not expect a developer to expend *inordinate*
amounts of work to figure out the computational
complexity of what he has implemented. But, as I
wrote, he *must* have thought about the matter, and
is thus, by definition, in a rather good position
to provide what he can frequently simply pull from
memory when it comes to documenting the interface
of his module.

I talked about Big-O (worst case) or Big-Theta (average case)
just to point out that no simple characterization like "O(N)"
tells enough of the story to be practically useful. Once you
decide that isn't good enough, the burden on creating the
documentation is getting substantial, especially given that
you've already spent the effort to write the code and tests
for it. In fact I'd hesitate to raise the documentation bar
any higher -- I'd hate to think someone thought, "Oh, forget
it, I'll just use this code myself."
No, "experimenting" is not always easy (though often it is
easy enough). However, "experimenting" puts the cost on the
person who derives the benefit, and is thus likely to not be
done in a slipshod way.
I am not at all a lawyer type, as you seem to
imagine. I just want to suggest that some
(to the implementer - but not the average user)
*easily* available information about computational
complexity (especially for the most basic data types)
would be a good thing to have. Nothing more.
My point is that simple performance characterization is not
good enough to be useful, and fully accurate characterization
is an onerous documentation burden. Something in between
will be fraught with complaints about "surprising" worst
cases. Whether you would approach middle-ground documentation
with the spirit of "this is enough to go on" or not, rest
assured that a number of people will complain in a "language-
lawyer-like" way about any perceived imperfections.
Here I was too snippy. Sorry.
(Each line denied with "Of course not.")
But realistically, most users will learn the performance
characteristics once, and continue to use the trade-offs
that were characteristics of that version of Python going
forward. Now maybe you behave differently, but most
programmers I know (and I explicitly include myself) do
have that tendency. Lots of python code moves around
operating systems and implementations (and the number
of implementations is growing).
What I wanted to say is ... this: *whenever* a Python
program is run, it will run on some specific
implementation of Python. That much should be obvious.
If I were still in a snippy mood, I'd point out that you
might look at your original statement and see how it might
be read by someone who accidentally read what you wrote,
rather than what wanted to write.
Don't be ridiculous.
If Pypy gets going this may not be as unlikely as you think.
You will be able to (relatively easily) replace implementations
of parts of Python and re-generate a system.
It is you (and only you) here, who is arguing that if
perfection is not attainable (with reasonable effort),
nothing should be done at all.
I am trying to say the request you make is substantially larger
than you understand (or would appear at first blush). Further
it is a request that asks for work from others for your (and
other's) benefit, not work that you offer to pitch in and help on.
I am as willing to live with imperfect module inferface
specification as I am willing with imperfect tools more
generally. But that will not stop me from making
*suggestions* for improvement (not arrogant demands, mind you).
Try writing something that would fit your standards for all of
the basic types, punting where you don't know details. If it is
enough to be useful, others will chip in and help fix it where it
is broken.
I have seen *many* books on algorithms that specify
computational complexity measures for the algorithms
described. Any really good library of algorithms will
at least try to reach that standard, too.
How many "really good libraries of algorithms" do you know of?
Could you name a couple that have these characterizations?
Practical code is rife with issues of "finite address space,"
low-order effects swamping the higher-order terms for most
practical sizes and such. It is this collection of nasty little
details that makes characterizing libraries frustratingly hard.
...I did not want to pose as the customer who expects nothing
> but perfection from *others* (but not himself, of course).
I am not at all like that: you are attacking
a figment of your imagination.
Actually, I was not attacking at all. I was trying to suggest
that it is a harder task than you imagine. I am assuming you won't
take me up on the suggestion of starting a flawed document, but I'd
be happy to be proved wrong. If not, try writing a characterization
of the performance of a dozen or so of your own programs. Does the
result seem useful in proportion to the work it took you to write it?

OK, here I was _very_ snippy. Sorry again.

I will assert that often the experiment results in a single bit of
information: "it is fast enough." Experimenting will get you reliable
answers like that, and only when run-time is an issue will you need to
go into it much further.

--Scott David Daniels
(e-mail address removed)

Christian Stapfer

jon said:
To take the heat out of the discussion:

sets are blazingly fast.

I'd prefer a (however) rough characterization
of computational complexity in terms of Big-Oh
(or Big-whatever) *anytime* to marketing-type
characterizations like this one...

Regards,
Christian

Steven D'Aprano

I'd prefer a (however) rough characterization
of computational complexity in terms of Big-Oh
(or Big-whatever) *anytime* to marketing-type
characterizations like this one...

Oh how naive.

The marketing department says: "It's O(N), so it is blindingly fast."

Translation: the amount of computation it does is linearly proportional
to N. The constant of proportionality is 1e10.

The marketing department says: "Our competitor's product is O(N**2), so it
runs like a three-legged dog."

Translation: the amount of computation it does is linearly proportional to
N squared. The constant of proportionality is 1e-100.

You do the maths.

Big O notation is practically useless for judging how fast a single
algorithm will be, or how one algorithm compares to another. It is only
useful for telling you how a single algorithm will scale as the input
increases.

It is very common for sensible programmers to fall back on a "less
efficient" O(N**2) or even O(2**N) algorithm for small amounts of data, if
that algorithm runs faster than the "more efficient" O(N) or O(log N)
algorithm. In fact, that's exactly what the sort() method does in Python:
for small enough lists, say, under 100 elements, it is quicker to run an
O(N**2) algorithm (shell sort I believe) than it is to perform the
complex set up for the merge-sort variant used for larger lists.

As for sets, they are based on dicts, which are effectively hash tables.
Hash tables are O(1), unless there are collisions, in which case the more
common algorithms degenerate to O(N). So, a very rough and ready estimate
of the complexity of the algorithm using sets would be somewhere between
O(1) and O(N) depending on the details of Python's algorithms.

So, let's do an experiment, shall we?

from sets import Set
import time

def compare_and_separate_with_sets(A, B):
AB = Set(A+B)
A = Set(A)
B = Set(B)
only_A = list(A-B)
only_B = list(B-A)
both_AB = list(AB - Set(only_A+only_B))
return (only_A, only_B, both_AB)

def timeit(f, args, n):
"""Time function f when called with *args. For timing purposes,
does n calls of f. Returns the average time used per call in seconds.
"""
loopit = range(n)
t = time.time()
for i in loopit:
results = f(*args)
t = time.time() - t
return t/n

def single_test(N):
print ("N = %-8d" % N),
A = range(N)
B = range(N/2, 3*N/2)
return timeit(compare_and_separate_with_sets, (A, B), 20)

def test_Order():
# test how compare_and_separate_with_sets scales with size
for i in range(7):
print single_test(10**i)

Now run the test code:

py> test_Order()
N = 1 0.000219106674194
N = 10 0.000135183334351
N = 100 0.000481128692627
N = 1000 0.0173740386963
N = 10000 0.103679180145
N = 100000 0.655336141586
N = 1000000 8.12827801704

In my humble opinion, that's not bad behaviour. It looks O(log N) to me,
and quite fast too: about 8 seconds to compare and separate two lists of
one million items each.

The craziest thing is, the amount of time it took to write and test two
different algorithms was probably 1% of the time it would take to hunt up
theoretical discussions of what the big O behaviour of the algorithms
would be.

Christian Stapfer

Steven D'Aprano said:
Oh how naive.

Why is it that even computer science undergrads
are required to learn the basics of Big-Oh and
all that? Are computer scientists really morons,
as Xah Lee suggests? I can't believe it, but
maybe you have a point...
The marketing department says: "It's O(N), so it is blindingly fast."

I might as well interpret "blindingly fast"
as meaning O(1). - Why not?
Surely marketing might also have reasoned like
this: "It's O(1), so its blindingly fast".
But I *want*, nay, I *must* know whether it is
O(N) or O(1). So forget about marketingspeak,
it's a deadly poison for developers. It might
be ok to induce grandiose feelings in childish
users - but developers are grown ups: they must
face reality...
Translation: the amount of computation it does is linearly proportional
to N. The constant of proportionality is 1e10.

The marketing department says: "Our competitor's product is O(N**2), so it
runs like a three-legged dog."

Translation: the amount of computation it does is linearly proportional to
N squared. The constant of proportionality is 1e-100.

You do the maths.

Big O notation is practically useless for judging how fast a single
algorithm will be, or how one algorithm compares to another.

That's why Knuth liked it so much?
That's why Aho, Hopcroft and Ullman liked it so much?
That's why Gonnet and Baeza-Yates liked it so much?
It is only useful for telling you how a single algorithm
will scale as the input increases.

And that's really very useful information indeed.
Since, given such information for the basic data types
and operations, as implemented by the language and
its standard libraries, I stand a real chance of
being able to determine the computational complexity
of the *particular*combination* of data types and
algorithms of my own small utility or of a
critical piece of my wonderful and large application,
on which the future of my company depends, with some
confidence and accuracy.
It is very common for sensible programmers to fall back on a "less
efficient" O(N**2) or even O(2**N) algorithm for small amounts of data, if
that algorithm runs faster than the "more efficient" O(N) or O(log N)
algorithm. In fact, that's exactly what the sort() method does in Python:
for small enough lists, say, under 100 elements, it is quicker to run an
O(N**2) algorithm (shell sort I believe) than it is to perform the
complex set up for the merge-sort variant used for larger lists.

As for sets, they are based on dicts, which are effectively hash tables.
Hash tables are O(1), unless there are collisions,

Depending on the "load factor" of the hash tables.
So we would want to ask, if we have very large
lists indeed, how much space needs to be invested
to keep the load factor so low that we can say
that the membership test is O(1). Do A-B and A&B
have to walk the entire hash table (which must be
larger than the sets, because of a load factor
< 1)? Also: the conversion of lists to sets needs
the insertion of N elements into those hash tables.
That alone already makes the overall algorithm
*at*least* O(N). So forget about O(log N).
in which case the more
common algorithms degenerate to O(N).

So here, indeed, we have the kind of reasoning that
one ought to be able to deliver, based on what's in
the Python documentation. Luckily, you have that
kind the knowledge of both, how sets are implemented
and what Big-Oh attaches to the hash table operation
of "look up".
In order to *enable* SUCH reasoning for *everyone*,
starting from the module interface documentation only,
one clearly needs something along the lines that
I was suggesting...
[...]

Curious: N=10 takes less time than N=1?
N = 100 0.000481128692627

Why do we have such a comparatively large jump
here, from N=100 to N=1000? Did hash tables
overflow during conversion or something like
that?
N = 1000 0.0173740386963
N = 10000 0.103679180145
N = 100000 0.655336141586
N = 1000000 8.12827801704

Doesn't look quite O(n). Not yet...
In my humble opinion, that's not bad behaviour.
It looks O(log N) to me,

How could that be? *Every* element of A and B must touched,
if only to be copied: that can't make it O(log(N)).
Also, the conversion of lists to sets must be at least
O(N). And N isn't the right measure anyway. It would probably
have to be in terms of |A| and |B|. For example, if |A| is very
small, as compared to |B|, then A-B and A & B can be determined
rather quickly by only considering elements of A.
and quite fast too: about 8 seconds to compare and separate two lists of
one million items each.

The craziest thing is, the amount of time it took to write and test two
different algorithms was probably 1% of the time it would take to hunt up
theoretical discussions of what the big O behaviour of the algorithms
would be.

You must distinguish questions of principle
and questions of muddling through like this
testing bit you've done. It would take me some
time to even be *sure* how to interpret the
result. I would never want to say "it looks
O(log N) to me", as you do, and leave it at
that. Rather, I might say, as you do, "it
looks O(log N) to me", *but* then try to figure
out, given my knowledge of the implementation
(performance wise, based on information that
is sadly missing in the Python documentation),
*why* that might be. Then, if my experiments says
"it looks like O(log N)" AND if my basic
knowledge of the implementation of set and
list primitives says "it should be O(log N)"
as well, I would venture, with some *confidence*,
to claim: "it actually IS O(log N)"....

You do not compare the convert-it-to-sets-approach
to the single list-walk either. Supposing the OP
had actually sorted lists to begin with, then a
single, simultaneous walk of the lists would be
about as fast as it can get. Very, very likely
*faster* than conversion to sets would be...

Regards,
Christian

Steven D'Aprano

Why is it that even computer science undergrads
are required to learn the basics of Big-Oh and
all that?

So that they know how to correctly interpret what Big O notation means,
instead of misinterpreting it. Big O notation doesn't tell you everything
you need to know to predict the behaviour of an algorithm. It doesn't even
tell you most of what you need to know about its behaviour. Only actual
*measurement* will tell you what you need to know.

Perhaps you should actually sit down and look at the assumptions,
simplifications, short-cuts and trade-offs that computer scientists make
when they estimate an algorithm's Big O behaviour. It might shock you out
of your faith that Big O is the be all and end all of algorithm planning.

For all but the simplest algorithm, it is impractical to actually count
all the operations -- and even if you did, the knowledge wouldn't help
you, because you don't know how long each operation takes to get executed.
That is platform specific.

So you simplify. You pretend that paging never happens. That memory
allocations take zero time. That set up and removal of data structures
take insignificant time. That if there is an N**2 term, it always swamps
an N term. You assume that code performance is independent of the CPUs.
You assume that some operations (e.g. comparisons) take no time, and
others (e.g. moving data) are expensive.

Those assumptions sometimes are wildly wrong. I've been seriously bitten
following text book algorithms written for C and Pascal: they assume that
comparisons are cheap and swapping elements are expensive. But in Python,
swapping elements is cheap and comparisons are expensive, because of all
the heavy object-oriented machinery used. Your classic text book algorithm
is not guaranteed to survive contact with the real world: you have to try
it and see.

Given all the assumptions, it is a wonder that Big O estimates are ever
useful, not that they sometimes are misleading.

[snip]
I might as well interpret "blindingly fast" as meaning O(1). - Why not?
Surely marketing might also have reasoned like
this: "It's O(1), so its blindingly fast". But I *want*, nay, I *must*
know whether it is O(N) or O(1).

You might _want_, but you don't _need_ to know which it is, not in every
case. In general, there are many circumstances where it makes no
sense to worry about Big O behaviour. What's your expected data look like?
If your data never gets above N=2, then who cares whether it is O(1)=1,
O(N)=2, O(N**2)=4 or O(2**N)=2? They are all about as fast.

Even bubble sort will sort a three element list fast enough -- and
probably faster than more complicated sorts. Why spend all the time
setting up the machinery for a merge sort for three elements?

[snip]
That's why Knuth liked it so much?
That's why Aho, Hopcroft and Ullman liked it so much? That's why Gonnet
and Baeza-Yates liked it so much?

Two reasons: it is useful for telling you how a single algorithm will
scale as the input increases, just as I said.

And, unlike more accurate ways of calculating the speed of an algorithm
from first principles, it is actually possible to do Big O calculations.

No doubt the state of the art of algorithm measurements has advanced since
I was an undergraduate, but certain fundamental facts remain: in order to
calculate that Big O, you have to close your eyes to all the realities
of practical code execution, and only consider an idealised calculation.
Even when your calculation gives you constants of proportionality and
other coefficients, Big O notation demands you throw that information away.

But by doing so, you lose valuable information. An O(N**2) algorithm that
scales like 1e-6 * N**2 will be faster than an O(N) algorithm that scales
as 1e6 * N, until N reaches one million million. By tossing away those
coefficients, you wrongly expect the first algorithm to be slower than the
second, and choose the wrong algorithm.

And that's really very useful information indeed.

Yes it is. Did I ever say it wasn't?

Since, given such
information for the basic data types and operations, as implemented by
the language and its standard libraries, I stand a real chance of being
able to determine the computational complexity of the
*particular*combination* of data types and algorithms of my own small
utility or of a critical piece of my wonderful and large application, on
which the future of my company depends, with some confidence and
accuracy.

Yes, zero is a real chance.

[snip]
Depending on the "load factor" of the hash tables. So we would want to
ask, if we have very large lists indeed, how much space needs to be
invested to keep the load factor so low that we can say that the
membership test is O(1).

And knowing that hash tables are O(1) will not tell you that, will it?

There is only one practical way of telling: do the experiment. Keep

Do A-B and A&B have to walk the entire hash
table (which must be larger than the sets, because of a load factor <
1)? Also: the conversion of lists to sets needs the insertion of N
elements into those hash tables. That alone already makes the overall
algorithm *at*least* O(N). So forget about O(log N).

Yes, inserting N items into a hash table takes at least N inserts. But if
those inserts are fast enough, you won't even notice the time it takes to
do it, compared to the rest of your algorithm. In many algorithms, you
don't even care about the time it takes to put items in your hash table,
because that isn't part of the problem you are trying to solve.

So in real, practical sense, it may be that your algorithm gets dominated
by the O(log N) term even though there is technically an O(N) term in
there. Are Python dicts like that? I have no idea. But I know how to find
out: choose a problem domain I care about ("dicts with less than one
million items") and do the experiment.

So here, indeed, we have the kind of reasoning that one ought to be able
to deliver, based on what's in the Python documentation. Luckily, you
have that kind the knowledge of both, how sets are implemented and what
Big-Oh attaches to the hash table operation of "look up".
In order to *enable* SUCH reasoning for *everyone*,
starting from the module interface documentation only, one clearly needs
something along the lines that I was suggesting...

I don't object to having that Big O information available, except
insofar as it can be misleading, but I take issue with your position that
such information is necessary.

[snip]
Curious: N=10 takes less time than N=1?

Yes, funny how real-world results aren't as clean and neat as they are in
theory. There are those awkward assumptions coming to bite you again. I've
done two additional tests, and get:

N = 1 0.000085043907166
N = 10 0.000106656551361

N = 1 0.000497949123383
N = 10 0.000124049186707

Remember, these results are averaged over twenty trials. So why it is
quicker to do work with sets of size 10 than sets of size 1? Big O
notation will never tell you, because it ignores the implementation
details that really make a difference.

Why do we have such a comparatively large jump here, from N=100 to
N=1000? Did hash tables overflow during conversion or something like
that?

Who knows? Maybe Python was doing some garbage collection the first time I
run it. I've modified my code to print a scale factor, and here is another
run:

N = 1 0.00113509893417
N = 10 0.000106143951416 (x 0.093511)
N = 100 0.00265134572983 (x 24.978774)
N = 1000 0.0057701587677 (x 2.176313)
N = 10000 0.0551437973976 (x 9.556721)
N = 100000 0.668345856667 (x 12.120055)
N = 1000000 8.6285964489 (x 12.910376)

An increase from N=1 to 1000000 (that's a factor of one million) leads to
an increase in execution time of about 7600.

You will notice that the individual numbers vary significantly from trial
to trial, but the over-all pattern is surprisingly consistent.

Doesn't look quite O(n). Not yet...

No it doesn't.

That's a mistake -- it is nowhere near O(log N). My bad. Closer to
O(sqrt N), if anything.

How could that be? *Every* element of A and B must touched, if only to
be copied: that can't make it O(log(N)).

And, no doubt, if you had *really enormous* lists, oh, I don't know, maybe
a trillion items, you would see that O(N) behaviour. But until then, the
overall performance is dominated by the smaller-order terms with larger
coefficients.

Also, the conversion of lists
to sets must be at least O(N). And N isn't the right measure anyway. It
would probably have to be in terms of |A| and |B|. For example, if |A|
is very small, as compared to |B|, then A-B and A & B can be determined
rather quickly by only considering elements of A.

Both lists have the same number of elements, so double N.

[snip]
You must distinguish questions of principle and questions of muddling
through like this testing bit you've done.

Your "question of principle" gives you completely misleading answers.
Remember, you were the one who predicted that lists would have to be
faster than sets. Your prediction failed miserably.

It would take me some time to
even be *sure* how to interpret the result.

What's to interpret? I know exactly how fast the function will run, on
average, on my hardware. I can even extrapolate to larger sizes of N,
although I would be very careful to not extrapolate too far. (I predict
less than 10 minutes to work on a pair of 10,000,000 element lists, and
less than two hours to work on 100,000,000 element lists.)
I would never want to say
"it looks O(log N) to me", as you do, and leave it at that. Rather, I
might say, as you do, "it looks O(log N) to me", *but* then try to
figure out, given my knowledge of the implementation (performance wise,
based on information that is sadly missing in the Python documentation),
*why* that might be.

Fine. You have the source code, knock yourself out.
Then, if my experiments says "it looks like O(log
N)" AND if my basic knowledge of the implementation of set and list
primitives says "it should be O(log N)" as well, I would venture, with
some *confidence*, to claim: "it actually IS O(log N)"....

You do not compare the convert-it-to-sets-approach
to the single list-walk either.

No I did not, because I didn't have a function to do it. You've got my
source code. Knock yourself out to use it to test any function you like.
Supposing the OP had actually sorted
lists to begin with, then a single, simultaneous walk of the lists would
be about as fast as it can get. Very, very likely *faster* than
conversion to sets would be...

Please let us know how you go with that. It should be really interesting
to see how well your prediction copes with the real world.

(Hint: another of those awkward little implementation details... how much
work is being done in C code, and how much in pure Python? Just something
for you to think about. And remember, an O(N) algorithm in Python will be
faster than an O(N**2) algorithm in C... or is that slower?)

Christian Stapfer

Steven D'Aprano said:
So that they know how to correctly interpret what Big O notation means,
instead of misinterpreting it. Big O notation doesn't tell you everything
you need to know to predict the behaviour of an algorithm.

Well, that's right. I couldn't agree more:
it doesn't tell you *everything* but it does
tell you *something*. And that *something*
is good to have.
It doesn't even tell you most of what you need to know about its
behaviour.
Only actual *measurement* will tell you what you need to know.

Well, that's where you err: Testing doesn't
tell you everything *either*. You need *both*:
a reasonable theory *and* experimental data...
If theory and experimental data disagree,
we would want to take a closer look on both,
the theory (which may be mistaken or inadequate)
*and* the experiment (which may be inadequate or
just plain botched as well).
[...]

Still: the expensiveness of those operations (such
as swapping elements vs. comparisons) will only
affect the constant of proportionality, not the
asymptotic behavior of the algorithm. Sooner or
later the part of your program that has the
worst asymptotic behavior will determine speed
(or memory requirements) of your program.
[...]

Since you have relapsed into a fit of mere polemics,
I assume to have made my point as regards marketing
type characterizations of algorithms ("blazingly
fast") vs. measures, however rough, of asymptotic
complexity measures, like Big-Oh. - Which really
was the root of this sub-thread that went like this:

...>> To take the heat out of the discussion:
... >> sets are blazingly fast.

... > I'd prefer a (however) rough characterization
... > of computational complexity in terms of Big-Oh
... > (or Big-whatever) *anytime* to marketing-type
... > characterizations like this one...
[snip]
That's why Knuth liked it so much?
That's why Aho, Hopcroft and Ullman liked it so much? That's why Gonnet
and Baeza-Yates liked it so much?

Two reasons: it is useful for telling you how a single algorithm will
scale as the input increases, just as I said.

Curiously, just a few lines before writing this,
you have polemically denied any "practical" use
for Big-Oh notation.
And, unlike more accurate ways of calculating the speed of an algorithm
from first principles, it is actually possible to do Big O calculations.

Right. It's a compromise: being somewhat precise
- without getting bogged down trying to solve major
combinatorial research problems...
No doubt the state of the art of algorithm measurements has advanced since
I was an undergraduate, but certain fundamental facts remain: in order to
calculate that Big O, you have to close your eyes to all the realities
of practical code execution, and only consider an idealised calculation.

That's right. Nothing stops you from then opening
your eyes and testing some code, of course. *But*
always try to relate what you see there with what
theoretical grasp of the situation you have.
If experimental data and theory *disagree*: try to
fix the experiment and/or the theory.
Even when your calculation gives you constants of proportionality and
other coefficients, Big O notation demands you throw that information
away.

But by doing so, you lose valuable information. An O(N**2) algorithm that
scales like 1e-6 * N**2 will be faster than an O(N) algorithm that scales
as 1e6 * N, until N reaches one million million. By tossing away those
coefficients, you wrongly expect the first algorithm to be slower than the
second, and choose the wrong algorithm.

Yes it is. Did I ever say it wasn't?

Well yes, by the way you attacked Big-Oh notation
as "practically useless" (see above) I assumed you
did.
[...]

*Blindly* testing, that is, testing *without* being
able to *relate* the outcomes of those tests (even
the *design* of those tests) to some suitably
simplified but not at all completely nonsensical
theory (via Big-Oh notation, for example), is *not*
really good enough.
[...]

I didn't say they would *have* to be faster
- I was mainly asking for some *reasoned*
argument why (and in what sense) conversion
to sets would be an "efficient" solution
of the OPs problem.
Your prediction failed miserably.

Interestingly, you admit that you did not
really compare the two approaches that
were under discussion. So your experiment
does *not* (yet) prove what you claim it
proves.
What's to interpret? I know exactly how fast the function will run, on
average, on my hardware. I can even extrapolate to larger sizes of N,
although I would be very careful to not extrapolate too far. (I predict
less than 10 minutes to work on a pair of 10,000,000 element lists, and
less than two hours to work on 100,000,000 element lists.)

For a starter: You have chosen a very particular type
of element of those lists / sets: integers. So the
complexity of comparisons for the OPs application
might get *seriously* underestimated.
Fine. You have the source code, knock yourself out.

That's just what I do *not* think to be a particularly
reasonable approach. Instead, I propose stating
some (to the implementer *easily* available)
information about asymptotic behavior of operations
that are exposed by the module interface upfront.
No I did not, because I didn't have a function to do it.

Here we see one of the problems of a purely
experimentalist approach to computational complexity:
you need an implementation (of the algorithm and the
test harness) *before* you can get your wonderfully
decisive experimental data.
This is why we would like to have a way of (roughly)
estimating the reasonableness of the outlines of a
program's design in "armchair fashion" - i.e. without
having to write any code and/or test harness.
You've got my
source code. Knock yourself out to use it to test any function you like.

Please let us know how you go with that. It should be really interesting
to see how well your prediction copes with the real world.

(Hint: another of those awkward little implementation details... how much
work is being done in C code, and how much in pure Python? Just something
for you to think about. And remember, an O(N) algorithm in Python will be
faster than an O(N**2) algorithm in C... or is that slower?)

This discussion begins to sound like the recurring
arguments one hears between theoretical and
experimental physicists. Experimentalists tend
to overrate the importance of experimental data
(setting up a useful experiment, how to interpret
the experimental data one then gathers, and whether
one stands any chance of detecting systematic errors
of measurement, all depend on having a good *theory*
in the first place). Theoreticians, on the other hand,
tend to overrate the importance of the coherence of
theories. In truth, *both* are needed: good theories
*and* carefully collected experimental data.

Regards,
Christian
--
»When asked how he would have reacted if Eddington's
*measurements* had come out differently, Einstein

Ron Adam

Christian said:
This discussion begins to sound like the recurring
arguments one hears between theoretical and
experimental physicists. Experimentalists tend
to overrate the importance of experimental data
(setting up a useful experiment, how to interpret
the experimental data one then gathers, and whether
one stands any chance of detecting systematic errors
of measurement, all depend on having a good *theory*
in the first place). Theoreticians, on the other hand,
tend to overrate the importance of the coherence of
theories. In truth, *both* are needed: good theories
*and* carefully collected experimental data.

Regards,
Christian

An interesting parallel can be made concerning management of production
vs management of creativity.

In general, production needs checks and feedback to insure quality, but
will often come to a stand still if incomplete resources are available.

Where as creativity needs checks to insure production, but in many cases
can still be productive even with incomplete or questionable resources.
The quality may very quite a bit in both directions, but in creative
tasks, that is to be expected.

In many ways programmers are a mixture of these two. I think I and
Steven use a style that is closer to the creative approach. I get the
feeling your background may be closer to the production style.

Both are good and needed for different types of tasks. And I think most
programmers can switch styles to some degree if they need to.

Cheers,
Ron

Christian Stapfer

Ron Adam said:
An interesting parallel can be made concerning management of production vs
management of creativity.

In general, production needs checks and feedback to insure quality, but
will often come to a stand still if incomplete resources are available.

Where as creativity needs checks to insure production, but in many cases
can still be productive even with incomplete or questionable resources.
The quality may very quite a bit in both directions, but in creative
tasks, that is to be expected.

In many ways programmers are a mixture of these two. I think I and Steven
use a style that is closer to the creative approach. I get the feeling
your background may be closer to the production style.

This diagnosis reminds me of C.G. Jung, the psychologist,
who, after having introduced the concepts of extra- and
introversion, came to the conclusion that Freud was
an extravert whereas Adler an introvert. The point is
that he got it exactly wrong...

As to the value of complexity theory for creativity
in programming (even though you seem to believe that
a theoretical bent of mind can only serve to stifle
creativity), the story of the discovery of an efficient
string searching algorithm by D.E.Knuth provides an
interesting case in point. Knuth based himself on
seemingly quite "uncreatively theoretical work" (from
*your* point of view) that gave a *better* value for
the computuational complexity of string searching
than any of the then known algorithms could provide.

Regards,
Christian
--
»It is no paradox to say that in our most theoretical
moods we may be nearest to our most practical applications.«

[and those "practical applications" will likely be most
"creative" ones..]