Comparing Ruby Application Archive (RAA) to RubyForge?

Dan Bikle

People,

I've done some searching in both RAA and RubyForge.

I'm mostly looking for content to teach myself to be a better
Ruby and Rails developer.

They both look like open-source repositories to me but
RubyForge looks 'bigger' (to me).

Do certain types of projects land in RubyForge rather than
RAA for any particular reason?

-Dan
btw,
I found some interesting content here:
http://sourceforge.net/softwaremap/trove_list.php?form_cat=3D293

James Britt

Dan said:
People,

I've done some searching in both RAA and RubyForge.

I'm mostly looking for content to teach myself to be a better
Ruby and Rails developer.

They both look like open-source repositories to me but
RubyForge looks 'bigger' (to me).

Do certain types of projects land in RubyForge rather than
RAA for any particular reason?

Um, RAA is older, so many projects were added there before there ever
was a RubyForge.

RubyForge hosts project code; RAA serves as a directory for code hosted
almost anyplace.

There's some stuff listed here, too:

http://ruby.codezoo.com/

James

gabriele renzi

Dan Bikle ha scritto:
People,

I've done some searching in both RAA and RubyForge.

I'm mostly looking for content to teach myself to be a better
Ruby and Rails developer.

They both look like open-source repositories to me but
RubyForge looks 'bigger' (to me).

Do certain types of projects land in RubyForge rather than
RAA for any particular reason?

RAA is an index of packages, rubyforge is also a hosting for projects.
In theory everyone that has something in rubyforge should also list it
in RAA, while RAA should also index packages hosted elsewhere, so it
should have more results.

In practice I think that there is a trend beetween people that joined
the ruby comunity when RF was already active to just stop there and
don't include the package in RAA.