Comparing standards compliance between compilers

Discussion in 'C++' started by Steve, Jul 15, 2005.

  1. Steve

    Steve Guest

    Hi,

    I have a vague memory of a website which listed various compilers and how
    compliant they were with the standard.

    It may have been a few years ago now, but at the time I think Visual C++ was
    about 50% and Metrowerks CodeWarrior was about 75%. I know things have moved
    on and I think Visual Studio is now about 97% compliant?

    Does anyone know of any such information? (Or was it all just a dream?! :)

    Thanks for any help.

    --
    Regards,
    Steve

    "What if the Hokey Cokey really IS what it's all about?"
    Steve, Jul 15, 2005

  2. Steve

    Howard Guest

    "Steve" <root@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a vague memory of a website which listed various compilers and how
    > compliant they were with the standard.
    >
    > It may have been a few years ago now, but at the time I think Visual C++
    > was
    > about 50% and Metrowerks CodeWarrior was about 75%. I know things have
    > moved
    > on and I think Visual Studio is now about 97% compliant?
    >
    > Does anyone know of any such information? (Or was it all just a dream?!
    > :)
    >
    > Thanks for any help.
    >

    > --
    > Regards,
    > Steve

    If such a site existed (and it probably did, there's a site for just about
    anything one can imagine), I'd like to read how they came up with such
    numbers. What exactly would it mean to be 97% compliant? And how helpful
    would such a measurement be, really, other than to rank compilers to see who
    is "better"?

    Hmmm....I am imagining someone who is "97% compliant" with all the traffic
    laws...the only one they don't comply with is that pesky stop-sign rule.
    Ouch! :)

    -Howard
    Howard, Jul 15, 2005

  3. Steve

    Ian Guest

    Howard wrote:

    > If such a site existed (and it probably did, there's a site for just about
    > anything one can imagine), I'd like to read how they came up with such
    > numbers. What exactly would it mean to be 97% compliant? And how helpful
    > would such a measurement be, really, other than to rank compilers to see who
    > is "better"?

    C++ users journal did a report a number of years ago, I haven't seen
    anything recent.

    Ian
    > Hmmm....I am imagining someone who is "97% compliant" with all the traffic
    > laws...the only one they don't comply with is that pesky stop-sign rule.
    > Ouch! :)

    To be 10% compliant, they'd also have to comply with those pesky speed
    limit things....

    Ian
    Ian, Jul 16, 2005