comparing two lists, ndiff performance

Zbigniew Braniecki

Hi all.
I'm working on a tool for localizers.

I have two Lists with Entities/Strings/Comments (each L10n file is built
of those three elements).

So I have sth like:

l10nObject = []
l10nObject.append(Comment('foo'))
l10nObject.append("string")
l10nObject.append(Entity('name', 'value'))

etc. I can have many strings, many entities and many comments inside.

At some point I want to compare two l10nObjects and see what entities
were added, what strings were changed, what comments were removed.

So What I did is that I basing on the structure of l10nObject created a
list of elements with names of the types like:

structure1 =
['Comment','Entity','Entity','str','str','Entity','Entity','Comment']

and same for structure2.

In result I want to have info about added/removed elements and then I
can try to match which ones are in reality changed (so compare the value
of two entities or two comments or two strings) etc.

Long story short. I'm comparing two "structures" using ndiff.
It takes LOONG time.

In case of my script the ndiff takes 80% of the whole script time, and
in result the new method with ndiff takes over 10 sec for 1000
iterations, while the old one takes around4 sec for 1000 iterations.

You can take a look at the code at:
http://svn.braniecki.net/wsvn/Mozpyl10n/lib/mozilla/l10n/diff.py

The def diffToObject at the end is the new method, while def
compareL10nObjects is the old one.

The new one is of course much better and cleaner (the old one is
bloated), but I'm wondering if there is a faster way to compare two
lists and find out what was added, what was removed, what was changed.
I can simply iterate through two lists because I need to keep an order
(so it's important that the removed line is after the 3 line which was
not changed etc.)

ndiff plays well here, but it seems to be extremely slow (1000
iterations of diffToObject takes 10 sec, 7sec of this is in ndiff).

Do you have any idea on how to compare those lists? I have similar
problem with comparing two directory lists where I also need to keep the
order, and I'm using the same ndiff method now.

Is there a way to speed it up? Any easier way? Faster method?

Greetings
Zbigniew Braniecki

bearophileHUGS

Zbigniew Braniecki:
Is there a way to speed it up? Any easier way? Faster method?

This problem is a bit messy. Maybe it's better to sidestep the
problem, and not use a list, and create an object that wraps the list,
so it always keeps an updated record of what changes are done... but
you have to notify it if you change the objects it contains.

Bye,
bearophile

Zbigniew Braniecki

Zbigniew Braniecki:

This problem is a bit messy. Maybe it's better to sidestep the
problem, and not use a list, and create an object that wraps the list,
so it always keeps an updated record of what changes are done... but
you have to notify it if you change the objects it contains.

That would be sweet... But I rarely will have it on the plate.

In most cases I will load the two l10nObjects from the files and then
I'll have to compare them in the way described above.

So it's something like compare-locales or compare-l10n-directories
script in the easiest form.

and it'll be launched in the pessimistic case on around 40 locales each
of them made of ~800 l10nObjects.

I'll probably leave two methods. The faster for automated scripts which
just have to catch changes and report that the file needs an update, and
a detailed one for presenting it to the user.

I was just thinking that there maybe exists a smart, fast, powerful
method that would eliminate use of ndiff to compare two lists.

Thanks for help!

Greetings
Zbigniew Braniecki

Gabriel Genellina

The new one is of course much better and cleaner (the old one is
bloated), but I'm wondering if there is a faster way to compare two
lists and find out what was added, what was removed, what was changed.
I can simply iterate through two lists because I need to keep an order
(so it's important that the removed line is after the 3 line which was
not changed etc.)

ndiff plays well here, but it seems to be extremely slow (1000
iterations of diffToObject takes 10 sec, 7sec of this is in ndiff).

ndiff does a quadratic process: first determines matching lines using
a SequenceMatcher, then looks for near-matching lines and for each
pair, compares them using another SequenceMatcher.
You don't appear to be interested in what changed inside a line, just
that it changed, so a simple SequenceMatcher would be enough.
Output from SequenceMatcher is quite different than ndiff, but you'd
have to reimplement the _compareLists method only.