Comparing WSDL & SOAP libraries...

Discussion in 'Python' started by Brian Beck, Oct 4, 2004.

  1. Brian Beck

    Brian Beck Guest

    Hi again folks!

    I tried searching the newsgroup for this and nobody seemed to be asking
    the questions I wanted.

    I'm trying to take advantage of the Google API using Python, and it
    comes with a WSDL file in order to do so. Of course, I immediately
    figured someone must have already written a WSDL parser in Python.

    It appears that I have a few options...

    SOAPy - http://soapy.sourceforge.net/
    wsdl4py - http://www-124.ibm.com/developerworks/projects/wsdl4py/
    ZSI - http://packages.debian.org/testing/python/python-zsi

    It also looked like there was a tutorial using a 'WebService' module,
    but I couldn't immediately find a home page for this -- it may have been
    the project that SOAPy is a part of.

    I'd simply like to know if someone has already done all the research in
    this area and has come to a conclusion regarding which one of these is
    the 'best'? Easiest to set up and use, fastest, frequently updated, etc...

    Anyone know?

    Thanks!

    Brian

    Brian Beck, Oct 4, 2004

  2. Brian Beck

    Ralf Schmitt Guest

    Brian Beck <> writes:

    > Hi again folks!
    >
    > I tried searching the newsgroup for this and nobody seemed to be
    > asking the questions I wanted.
    >
    > I'm trying to take advantage of the Google API using Python, and it
    > comes with a WSDL file in order to do so. Of course, I immediately
    > figured someone must have already written a WSDL parser in Python.

    For your purposes there is a complete python package:
    http://pygoogle.sourceforge.net/

    > It appears that I have a few options...
    >
    > SOAPy - http://soapy.sourceforge.net/
    > wsdl4py - http://www-124.ibm.com/developerworks/projects/wsdl4py/
    > ZSI - http://packages.debian.org/testing/python/python-zsi
    >
    > It also looked like there was a tutorial using a 'WebService' module,
    > but I couldn't immediately find a home page for this -- it may have
    > been the project that SOAPy is a part of.
    >
    > I'd simply like to know if someone has already done all the research
    > in this area and has come to a conclusion regarding which one of these
    > is the 'best'? Easiest to set up and use, fastest, frequently
    > updated, etc...

    I once tried to use ZSI to implement a soap server. It's neither easy
    to set up and use, nor fast. In the end I wrote my own package to
    implement a soap server.

    - Ralf
    --
    brainbot technologies ag
    boppstrasse 64 . 55118 mainz . germany

    Ralf Schmitt, Oct 4, 2004

  3. Brian Beck

    Brian Beck Guest

    > For your purposes there is a complete python package:
    > http://pygoogle.sourceforge.net/

    Wow, thanks for the heads-up. I figured such a package would be
    included directly in Google's API demos if it existed since they seem to
    be such big Python advocates.

    Brian

    Brian Beck, Oct 4, 2004