Compatibility of recent GCC/Python versions

Discussion in 'Python' started by David Abrahams, Jul 6, 2005.

  1. Recently people testing Boost.Python with GCC on Linux have reported
    that the extensions being tested have to be compiled with exactly the
    same version of GCC as the Python they're being loaded into, or they
    get mysterious crashes.

    That doesn't correspond to my past experience; it has always been true
    that, as long as the compiler used to build Python and the one used to
    build the extension have compatible 'C' ABIs, we've been okay. Yes,
    if you were going to pass types like FILE* across the Python/C API,
    then you additionally need to be sure that the two compilers are using
    the same 'C' library. That said, none of the Boost.Python tests do
    that.

    I'm wondering if there has been a well-known recent change either in Python
    or GCC that would account for these new reports. Any relevant
    information would be appreciated.

    Thanks,
    --
    Dave Abrahams
    Boost Consulting

    David Abrahams, Jul 6, 2005

  2. David Abrahams

    Robert Kern Guest

    David Abrahams wrote:
    > Recently people testing Boost.Python with GCC on Linux have reported
    > that the extensions being tested have to be compiled with exactly the
    > same version of GCC as the Python they're being loaded into, or they
    > get mysterious crashes.
    >
    > That doesn't correspond to my past experience; it has always been true
    > that, as long as the compiler used to build Python and the one used to
    > build the extension have compatible 'C' ABIs, we've been okay. Yes,
    > if you were going to pass types like FILE* across the Python/C API,
    > then you additionally need to be sure that the two compilers are using
    > the same 'C' library. That said, none of the Boost.Python tests do
    > that.
    >
    > I'm wondering if there has been a well-known recent change either in Python
    > or GCC that would account for these new reports. Any relevant
    > information would be appreciated.

    I've had intermittent problems on OS X and gcc-4.0 with, well,
    everything, Python-related or otherwise. So I ignore it and use gcc-3.3
    and g77-3.4 and live happily ever after.

    --
    Robert Kern

    -- Richard Harter

    Robert Kern, Jul 6, 2005