Compatibility

Kris

What I meant, though, was that even these folks rarely resize their
text. Sure there are some, but doubtful those visiting my site are
a concern. A case of knowing one's audience.

If you know you have an audience of people with good vision, then
there's not much harm. Don't do it for sites for the masses, though.[/QUOTE]

Eeventually, those people will have less good vision. Or, those people
leave and make please for new audience. What says this audience has the
same preferences?

Besides, it will probably be the wish of a small percentage of that
audience to change fontsize. If 9 out of 10 interviewed say they don't
care at all, that does not mean the minority should be inconvenienced by
something as trivial as px for %. A change like that in a stylesheet
will go unnoticed to the majority and not harm them in any way, yet will
do great benefit to the minority.

Authorwise, it has also a great benefit to specify fontsizes in
percentages. If you feel uneasy about the design, you can change the
fontsize in a top level of the structure and all beneath it will scale
up or down accordingly. Compared to wading through a large stylesheet,
changing static pixel values separately, that's a plus for me.

My personal experience with it, but also if I look at my peers, is that
the initial switch from px to % or ems is an uneasy one, because it
feels like giving up control ("the more you pin down the better"). But
once you get a grip on it, it has equal visual results and all the
advantages mentioned earlier.