    suggest which if best?

    Regards,
    Ken Asbury
    Ken Asbury, May 12, 2006

  2. Ken Asbury

    ashu Guest

    i use modelsim by mentor
    best is difficult to tell :)

    ashu
    ashu, May 12, 2006

  3. Ken Asbury

    Remillard Guest

    Ken Asbury wrote:
    > As a newbie to VHDL and to this group may I impose on
    > someone to tell me which vendors provide a competent
    > VHDL simulator and, if it doesn't start a religious war,
    > suggest which if best?

    I've used Modelsim by Mentor Graphics, and Riviera by Aldec and both
    seem to have their plusses and minuses. Riviera's plusses (in my book)
    are integrated support for mixed language designs (Verilog and VHDL)
    with the same license. I'm sure their website will crow a lot more.
    Modelsim is possible the industry standard, though expensive.

    So, your mileage may vary, but there are a couple of names to look up.

    Best regards,
    Mark Norton
    Concept Development, Inc.
    Irvine, CA
    http://www.cdvinc.com
    Remillard, May 12, 2006
  4. Remillard wrote:

    > I've used Modelsim by Mentor Graphics, and Riviera by Aldec and both
    > seem to have their plusses and minuses. Riviera's plusses (in my book)
    > are integrated support for mixed language designs (Verilog and VHDL)
    > with the same license. I'm sure their website will crow a lot more.
    > Modelsim is possible the industry standard, though expensive.

    If I were in the market, my criteria would be
    vhdl and verilog and linux support.
    I would evaluate riviera vs modelsimSE
    vs modelsim/OEMquartus. The OEM version is a
    good value to start with. It handles either language,
    but not both at the same time.

    -- Mike Treseler
    Mike Treseler, May 12, 2006
  5. Ken Asbury

    Guest

    Ken Asbury wrote:
    > As a newbie to VHDL and to this group may I impose on
    > someone to tell me which vendors provide a competent
    > VHDL simulator and, if it doesn't start a religious war,
    > suggest which if best?
    >
    > Regards,
    > Ken Asbury

    "Best" is such a tricky word.

    If you're a newbie, I'd suggest Peter Ashenden's book:
    <http://www.ashenden.com.au/designers-guide/DG.html>

    My copy came with a perfectly useable simulator. Wait until your less
    of a newbie before spending the big bucks.
    , May 13, 2006
  6. Ken Asbury

    Ken Asbury Guest

    wrote:
    > Ken Asbury wrote:
    > > As a newbie to VHDL and to this group may I impose on
    > > someone to tell me which vendors provide a competent
    > > VHDL simulator and, if it doesn't start a religious war,
    > > suggest which if best?
    > >
    > > Regards,
    > > Ken Asbury

    > "Best" is such a tricky word.
    >
    > If you're a newbie, I'd suggest Peter Ashenden's book:
    > <http://www.ashenden.com.au/designers-guide/DG.html>
    >
    > My copy came with a perfectly useable simulator. Wait until your less
    > of a newbie before spending the big bucks.

    I do embedded SW for a living and thought that it might add
    to my marketability to have a bit of VHDL in my bag of tricks.

    Thanks to all for your inputs. I've been working my way through
    Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg's VHDL tutorial for a couple of weeks
    and downloaded Symphony EDA's VHDL Simuli Free for a
    practice simulator. It seems to have a comprehensible IDE.

    Ashenden's book sounds like a valuable additional resource.
    You've all given me just the kind of insights I was hoping for.

    Again, thanks,
    Ken Asbury
    Ken Asbury, May 15, 2006