competing applications and subapplications

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by BriC, Dec 22, 2006.

  1. BriC

    BriC Guest

    My website has a main app installed in the root and with a few of the
    pages in a subdirectory.

    It's a simple thing. Just a handful of pages with a templating
    solution and a bit of url-rewriting via an HttpModule.
    ie. '/' and '/activities/'

    I read about and installed screwturn wiki in a subdirectory.
    ie. '/activities/wiki/'

    As indicated, I made it an application.... and:
    I get conflicting web.config problems.

    If I remove the httpModule reference from my root web.config screwturn
    works fine.

    With the httpModule reference still there it chokes from the get go

    I tried a <location> element in the root web.config to clear the
    httpModule for /activities/wiki and that works for the main page but
    gives this error when I try to edit/create anything:

    "Session state can only be used when enableSessionState is set to
    true, either in a configuration file or in the Page directive. Please
    also make sure that System.Web.SessionStateModule or a custom session
    state module is included in the
    <configuration>\<system.web>\<httpModules> section in the application
    configuration"

    Similarly, including the 'clear' element in a httpModules section
    added to the web.config of the screwturn app causes the same problem.

    Since removing the httpModule reference does away with the error I'm
    inclined to think that therein lies the problem.

    Any ideas or suggestions?
    Is there an ideal (best practice) way to make web applications behave
    in a neighbourly manner?

    BriC, Dec 22, 2006