compilation directive disabled

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Mark Olbert, Nov 23, 2003.

  1. Mark Olbert

    Mark Olbert Guest

    I'm setting up an ASP.NET site on a Verio shared hosting platform, and they are telling me that the
    <compilation> directive in Web.config files is not supported in their environment.

    Can someone please tell me what, if any, limitations and/or problems this can cause me?

    Separately, I'd be interested in learning how common it is for a shared hosting firm to support only
    certain Web.config parameters. For example, Verio says they only support:

    browserCaps
    sessionState
    clientTarget
    pages
    customErrors
    globalization
    authorization
    authentication
    webControls
    webServices
    appSettings

    What limitations is this likely to cause? For example, I believe the lack of support for <location>
    sections means user- and role- based access control of various parts of a web site (i.e., specific
    folders) is not possible.

    Thanx in advance for any help and/or comments.

    - Mark

    Mark Olbert, Nov 23, 2003

  2. Mark Olbert

    MSFT Guest

    MSFT, Nov 24, 2003

  3. Mark Olbert

    Mark Olbert Guest

    Luke,

    What is dynamic compilation, and when would I use it in a website?

    - Mark

    Mark Olbert, Nov 24, 2003
  4. Mark Olbert

    MSFT Guest

    Hi Mark,

    I mean, if you comple the project at local and copy all files including DLL
    files to the web server, we can ignore the element. However, if you connect
    to the web server with VS.NET and compile dynamically on the web server,
    VS.NET will read this element's value for compilation.

    Luke
    Microsoft Online Support

    Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
    rights.)