Compilation error on AIX

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Vivek J., Apr 5, 2011.

  1. Vivek J.

    Vivek J. Guest

    Hello

    I am running this command :

    bash-3.2# ./configure
    checking build system type... powerpc-ibm-aix5.3.0.0
    checking host system type... powerpc-ibm-aix5.3.0.0
    checking target system type... powerpc-ibm-aix5.3.0.0
    checking for gcc... gcc
    checking for suffix of executables...
    checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
    checking for g++... no
    checking for c++... no
    checking for gpp... no
    checking for aCC... no
    checking for CC... no
    checking for cxx... no
    checking for cc++... no
    checking for cl.exe... no
    checking for FCC... no
    checking for KCC... no
    checking for RCC... no
    checking for xlC_r... no
    checking for xlC... no
    checking whether we are using the GNU C++ compiler... no
    checking whether g++ accepts -g... no
    checking for grep that handles long lines and -e... /usr/bin/grep
    checking for egrep... /usr/bin/grep -E
    checking whether gcc needs -traditional... no
    checking whether the linker is GNU ld... no
    checking whether gcc -E accepts -o... yes
    checking for ranlib... ranlib
    checking for ar... ar
    checking for as... as
    checking for objdump... no
    checking for gobjdump... no
    checking for objcopy... no
    checking for gobjcopy... no
    checking for nm... nm
    checking whether ln -s works... yes
    checking for a BSD-compatible install...
    checking for a thread-safe mkdir -p... -d
    use 'mkdir -p' as MKDIR_P
    checking for dot... no
    checking for doxygen... no
    checking for ANSI C header files... yes
    checking for sys/types.h... yes
    checking for sys/stat.h... yes
    checking for stdlib.h... yes
    checking for string.h... yes
    checking for memory.h... yes
    checking for strings.h... yes
    checking for inttypes.h... yes
    checking for stdint.h... yes
    checking for unistd.h... yes
    checking minix/config.h usability... no
    checking minix/config.h presence... no
    checking for minix/config.h... no
    checking whether it is safe to define __EXTENSIONS__... yes
    checking for cd using phisical directory... cd -P
    checking whether -Wno-unused-parameter is accepted... yes
    checking whether -Wno-parentheses is accepted... yes
    checking whether -Wpointer-arith is accepted... yes
    checking whether -Wwrite-strings is accepted... yes
    checking whether -Wno-missing-field-initializers is accepted... yes
    checking whether -Wshorten-64-to-32 is accepted... no
    checking whether -Wno-long-long is accepted... yes
    checking whether -Wextra is accepted... yes
    checking whether -Wl,-unexported_symbol,_Init_* is accepted... no
    checking for special C compiler options needed for large files... no
    checking for _FILE_OFFSET_BITS value needed for large files... unknown
    checking for _LARGE_FILES value needed for large files... 1
    checking for long long... yes
    checking for off_t... yes
    checking char bit... 8
    checking size of int... 4
    checking size of short... 2
    checking size of long... 4
    checking size of long long... 8
    checking size of __int64... 0
    checking size of off_t... 8
    checking size of void*... 4
    checking size of float... 4
    checking size of double... 8
    checking size of time_t... 4
    checking for pid_t... yes
    checking for convertible type of pid_t... INT
    checking for uid_t... yes
    checking for convertible type of uid_t... UINT
    checking for gid_t... yes
    checking for convertible type of gid_t... UINT
    checking for time_t... yes
    checking for convertible type of time_t... INT
    checking for dev_t... yes
    checking for convertible type of dev_t... UINT
    checking for prototypes... yes
    checking token paste string... ansi
    checking stringization... #expr
    checking string literal concatenation... yes
    checking for variable length prototypes and stdarg.h... yes
    checking for variable length macro... yes
    checking for noreturn function attribute... __attribute__ ((noreturn)) x
    checking for deprecated function attribute... __attribute__
    ((deprecated)) x
    checking for noinline function attribute... __attribute__ ((noinline)) x
    checking for stdcall function attribute... x
    checking for cdecl function attribute... x
    checking for fastcall function attribute... x
    checking for function alias... alias
    checking for RUBY_EXTERN... no
    checking whether sys_nerr is declared... yes
    checking for crypt in -lcrypt... no
    checking for dlopen in -ldl... no
    checking for shl_load in -ldld... no
    checking for socketpair in -lsocket... no
    checking for clock_gettime in -lrt... no
    checking for dirent.h that defines DIR... yes
    checking for library containing opendir... no
    checking for stdbool.h that conforms to C99... yes
    checking for _Bool... yes
    checking for sys/wait.h that is POSIX.1 compatible... yes
    checking limits.h usability... yes
    checking limits.h presence... yes
    checking for limits.h... yes
    checking sys/file.h usability... yes
    checking sys/file.h presence... yes
    checking for sys/file.h... yes
    checking sys/ioctl.h usability... yes
    checking sys/ioctl.h presence... yes
    checking for sys/ioctl.h... yes
    checking sys/syscall.h usability... no
    checking sys/syscall.h presence... no
    checking for sys/syscall.h... no
    checking fcntl.h usability... yes
    checking fcntl.h presence... yes
    checking for fcntl.h... yes
    checking sys/fcntl.h usability... no
    checking sys/fcntl.h presence... no
    checking for sys/fcntl.h... no
    checking sys/select.h usability... yes
    checking sys/select.h presence... yes
    checking for sys/select.h... yes
    checking sys/time.h usability... yes
    checking sys/time.h presence... yes
    checking for sys/time.h... yes
    checking sys/times.h usability... yes
    checking sys/times.h presence... yes
    checking for sys/times.h... yes
    checking sys/param.h usability... yes
    checking sys/param.h presence... yes
    checking for sys/param.h... yes
    checking syscall.h usability... no
    checking syscall.h presence... no
    checking for syscall.h... no
    checking pwd.h usability... yes
    checking pwd.h presence... yes
    checking for pwd.h... yes
    checking grp.h usability... yes
    checking grp.h presence... yes
    checking for grp.h... yes
    checking a.out.h usability... yes
    checking a.out.h presence... yes
    checking for a.out.h... yes
    checking utime.h usability... yes
    checking utime.h presence... yes
    checking for utime.h... yes
    checking direct.h usability... no
    checking direct.h presence... no
    checking for direct.h... no
    checking sys/resource.h usability... yes
    checking sys/resource.h presence... yes
    checking for sys/resource.h... yes
    checking sys/mkdev.h usability... no
    checking sys/mkdev.h presence... no
    checking for sys/mkdev.h... no
    checking sys/utime.h usability... no
    checking sys/utime.h presence... no
    checking for sys/utime.h... no
    checking xti.h usability... yes
    checking xti.h presence... yes
    checking for xti.h... yes
    checking netinet/in_systm.h usability... yes
    checking netinet/in_systm.h presence... yes
    checking for netinet/in_systm.h... yes
    checking float.h usability... yes
    checking float.h presence... yes
    checking for float.h... yes
    checking ieeefp.h usability... no
    checking ieeefp.h presence... no
    checking for ieeefp.h... no
    checking ucontext.h usability... yes
    checking ucontext.h presence... yes
    checking for ucontext.h... yes
    checking intrinsics.h usability... no
    checking intrinsics.h presence... no
    checking for intrinsics.h... no
    checking langinfo.h usability... yes
    checking langinfo.h presence... yes
    checking for langinfo.h... yes
    checking locale.h usability... yes
    checking locale.h presence... yes
    checking for locale.h... yes
    checking sys/sendfile.h usability... no
    checking sys/sendfile.h presence... no
    checking for sys/sendfile.h... no
    checking time.h usability... yes
    checking time.h presence... yes
    checking for time.h... yes
    checking for net/socket.h... (cached) no
    checking for sys/socket.h... (cached) yes
    checking size of rlim_t... 0
    checking for size_t... yes
    checking size of size_t... configure: error: in `/test/ruby-1.9.2-p180':

    I am not sure ..what went wrong.

    Can you please guide me ..what I have missed ?

    Thank you.

    Vivek J., Apr 5, 2011

  2. Vivek J.

    Ralf Mueller Guest

    On 04/05/2011 06:39 PM, Vivek J. wrote:
    > Hello
    >
    > I am running this command :

    <snip/>
    > checking for size_t... yes
    > checking size of size_t... configure: error: in `/test/ruby-1.9.2-p180':
    >
    > I am not sure ..what went wrong.
    >
    > Can you please guide me ..what I have missed ?
    >
    > Thank you.

    You might find this link http://blogs.nullvision.com/?p=86 helpful, if you can install binary packages.
    In any case you have to look into config.log if any error occurs during the configure run.

    You could also try to use the IBM-C-Compiler xlc/xlc_r.

    regards
    ralf

    --
    #!/usr/bin/env ruby
    # --------------------------------------------------------
    Struct.new:)name,
    :mail,
    :phone,
    :fax,
    :institute,
    :room).new('Ralf Mueller',
    '',
    '+49 40 41173 153',
    '+49 40 41173 298',
    ['Max Planck Institute for Meteorology',
    'Ocean in the Earth System',
    'Bundesstrasse 53',
    'D-20146 Hamburg'].join(", "),
    'ZMAW-building, office 211').each_pair {|k,v| puts [k,v].join("\t") }

    Ralf Mueller, Apr 6, 2011