Compilation error with g++ 3.3.2 on AIX 5.3

Discussion in 'C++' started by nu2007@gmail.com, Mar 1, 2007.

    i have a simple makefile which looks like this:
    CArchive: CFileRw.o CArchive.o CMain.o
    g++ -o CArchive CFileRw.o CArchive.o CMain.o 3rdparty_1.a
    CFileRw.o: CFileRw.cxx HCommon.h
    g++ -c CFileRw.cxx
    CArchive.o: CArchive.cxx HCommon.h
    g++ -c CArchive.cxx
    CMain.o: CMain.cxx HCommon.h
    g++ -c CMain.cxx
    clean:
    rm CArchive CFileRw.o CArchive.o CMain.o

    When i try complining this on AIX 5.3 with g++ 3.3.2. It gives the
    below mentioned error
    g++ -o CArchive CFileRw.o CArchive.o CMain.o 3rdparty_1.a
    ld: 0711-447 SEVERE ERROR: Shared object 3rdparty_1.a
    The .loader section has been truncated. The object is being ignored.
    collect2: ld returned 12 exit status

    If somone can point out as to whats going wrong here, that would be
    nice.
    thanks,

    , Mar 1, 2007

  2. wrote:
    > i have a simple makefile which looks like this:
    > CArchive: CFileRw.o CArchive.o CMain.o
    > g++ -o CArchive CFileRw.o CArchive.o CMain.o 3rdparty_1.a
    > CFileRw.o: CFileRw.cxx HCommon.h
    > g++ -c CFileRw.cxx
    > CArchive.o: CArchive.cxx HCommon.h
    > g++ -c CArchive.cxx
    > CMain.o: CMain.cxx HCommon.h
    > g++ -c CMain.cxx
    > clean:
    > rm CArchive CFileRw.o CArchive.o CMain.o
    >

    > When i try complining this on AIX 5.3 with g++ 3.3.2. It gives the
    > below mentioned error
    > g++ -o CArchive CFileRw.o CArchive.o CMain.o 3rdparty_1.a
    > ld: 0711-447 SEVERE ERROR: Shared object 3rdparty_1.a
    > The .loader section has been truncated. The object is being ignored.
    > collect2: ld returned 12 exit status
    > make: 1254-004 The error code from the last command is 1.
    >

    > If somone can point out as to whats going wrong here, that would be
    > nice.

    There is nothing in C++ language definition that concerns "the .loader
    section" or its truncation. You need to ask in the newsgroup that deals
    with your compiler/linker. If I had to speculate, I'd say that your
    library is corrupt, but that's not a C++ language issue.

    Victor Bazarov, Mar 1, 2007