    What can I do to solve this problem?

    Regards
    Rainer Queck

    Rainer Queck, Jun 17, 2008

  2. Rainer Queck

    Hans Kesting Guest

    Rainer Queck presented the following explanation :
    > Hello NG,
    >
    > as a newbie I am learning about asp.net 3.5.
    > To do this I bought a book form Microsoft Press (ASP.NET 3.5 Step by Step).
    > Also I prepared me a Windows Server 2008 with IIS 7.0 in a VM to test the
    > samples from the book.
    > I have installed the "dotnetfx35.exe" to the WS2008.
    >
    > My problem now is, that - calling my default.aspx - I receive a errormessage
    > "CS0234: The Typ- oder Namespacename Linq is not in the Namespace System
    > available..."
    > What can I do to solve this problem?
    >
    > Regards
    > Rainer Queck

    You need to add a "reference" to the project, to System.Core.dll (on
    the .Net tab).
    A "reference" includes a library in your project, so you can use it's
    classes. This is required.
    A "using" directive only allows you to skip the namespace when you use
    a class from that "used" namespace. This is more like "syntactic
    sugar", tit makes it less complicated to write (and read) the code. You
    still need the "reference".

    Hans Kesting

    Hans Kesting, Jun 17, 2008

  3. Rainer Queck

    Rainer Queck Guest

    Hello Hans,

    "Hans Kesting" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > You need to add a "reference" to the project, to System.Core.dll (on the
    > .Net tab).
    > A "reference" includes a library in your project, so you can use it's
    > classes. This is required.
    > A "using" directive only allows you to skip the namespace when you use a
    > class from that "used" namespace. This is more like "syntactic sugar", tit
    > makes it less complicated to write (and read) the code. You still need the
    > "reference".

    Thanks for this infos. What ist the ".Net tab"? Is it part of the
    InternetInformationServices?

    I in the meanwhile brought my app to be able to run.
    In the "book" I was told to copy a different web.config to a existing
    (sample) website to add the "authentication" sample.
    I remebered that this website worked before and therfor compared the
    previous web.congfig to the new one and realized that in the new config the
    section
    <assemblies> ... </assemblies> was missing, which held the reference.

    But back to my previous question, about the .Net tab. Is there a generic way
    to enable IIS for .Net 3.5 assemblies?

    Regards
    Rainer

    Rainer Queck, Jun 17, 2008
  4. Rainer Queck

    Hans Kesting Guest

    Rainer Queck explained on 17-6-2008 :
    > Hello Hans,
    >
    > "Hans Kesting" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    >> You need to add a "reference" to the project, to System.Core.dll (on the
    >> .Net tab).
    >> A "reference" includes a library in your project, so you can use it's
    >> classes. This is required.
    >> A "using" directive only allows you to skip the namespace when you use a
    >> class from that "used" namespace. This is more like "syntactic sugar", tit
    >> makes it less complicated to write (and read) the code. You still need the
    >> "reference".

    > Thanks for this infos. What ist the ".Net tab"? Is it part of the
    > InternetInformationServices?
    >
    > I in the meanwhile brought my app to be able to run.
    > In the "book" I was told to copy a different web.config to a existing
    > (sample) website to add the "authentication" sample.
    > I remebered that this website worked before and therfor compared the previous
    > web.congfig to the new one and realized that in the new config the section
    > <assemblies> ... </assemblies> was missing, which held the reference.
    >
    > But back to my previous question, about the .Net tab. Is there a generic way
    > to enable IIS for .Net 3.5 assemblies?
    >
    > Regards
    > Rainer

    No, this is not an IIS setting, you need to set this in Visual Studio.
    If you don't have Visual Studio (there are free "express" editions),
    then that <assemblies> section works similar.

    Hans Kesting

    Hans Kesting, Jun 17, 2008
  5. Rainer Queck

    Rainer Queck Guest

    Hi Hans,

    > No, this is not an IIS setting, you need to set this in Visual Studio.
    > If you don't have Visual Studio (there are free "express" editions), then
    > that <assemblies> section works similar.

    Ok, now I know what you where talking about. I am working with VS2008
    Professional and the .NET tab holds all necessary references.
    The "bug" is in the book, which told me to "copy" a web.config not holding
    the required references.

    Thanks for your help!

    Rainer

    Rainer Queck, Jun 17, 2008