Compile-error with converted VC++ 2005 project

Discussion in 'C++' started by 001, May 14, 2007.

  1. 001

    001 Guest

    I get the following error when compiling under MS VC++:

    ------ Build started: Project: pract-1, Configuration: Debug Win32
    ------
    Compiling...
    pract-1.cpp
    Linking...
    atlsd.lib(atltrace.obj) : error LNK2005: "unsigned int (__stdcall*
    ATL::g_pfnGetThreadACP)(void)" (?g_pfnGetThreadACP@ATL@@3P6GIXZA)
    already defined in iorw-vc7.lib(iorw-vc7-dll.obj)
    Debug/pract-1.exe : fatal error LNK1169: one or more multiply defined
    symbols found
    Build log was saved at "file://f:\Interfacing\RS232-
    pract-1\TstCom1\Debug\BuildLog.htm"
    pract-1 - 2 error(s), 0 warning(s)
    ========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped
    ==========

    It compiles under the 2003 version though... (at least I thought that
    was the version I used at school). When I opened it at home in the
    2005 version I was prompted to convert the project, after that I tried
    building and got the error above. I'm quite new to Microsoft's
    environment and the .NET-stuff (and I only use it because my
    university uses that). I think there is a simple explanantion, but
    can't find it myself.
    001, May 14, 2007

  2. 001 wrote:
    > I get the following error when compiling under MS VC++:
    >
    > [..link error, multiple definition..]
    >
    > It compiles under the 2003 version though... (at least I thought that
    > was the version I used at school). When I opened it at home in the
    > 2005 version I was prompted to convert the project, after that I tried
    > building and got the error above. I'm quite new to Microsoft's
    > environment and the .NET-stuff (and I only use it because my
    > university uses that). I think there is a simple explanantion, but
    > can't find it myself.

    Please ask about this in 'microsoft.public.vc.project-mgt' or in
    'microsoft.public.vc.language' (or any other from that NG family).
    Your question has no answer in terms of _standard_C++_language_, and
    as such is off-topic here.

    Victor Bazarov, May 14, 2007

  3. 001

    peter koch Guest

    On 14 Maj, 22:40, 001 <> wrote:
    > I get the following error when compiling under MS VC++:
    >
    > ------ Build started: Project: pract-1, Configuration: Debug Win32
    > ------
    > Compiling...
    > pract-1.cpp
    > Linking...
    > atlsd.lib(atltrace.obj) : error LNK2005: "unsigned int (__stdcall*
    > ATL::g_pfnGetThreadACP)(void)" (?g_pfnGetThreadACP@ATL@@3P6GIXZA)
    > already defined in iorw-vc7.lib(iorw-vc7-dll.obj)
    > Debug/pract-1.exe : fatal error LNK1169: one or more multiply defined
    > symbols found
    > Build log was saved at "file://f:\Interfacing\RS232-
    > pract-1\TstCom1\Debug\BuildLog.htm"
    > pract-1 - 2 error(s), 0 warning(s)
    > ========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped
    > ==========
    >
    > It compiles under the 2003 version though... (at least I thought that
    > was the version I used at school). When I opened it at home in the
    > 2005 version I was prompted to convert the project, after that I tried
    > building and got the error above. I'm quite new to Microsoft's
    > environment and the .NET-stuff (and I only use it because my
    > university uses that). I think there is a simple explanantion, but
    > can't find it myself.

    As Victor pointed out, this does not really belong here as it seems to
    apply to a particular environment where better newsgroups exist. One
    thing is in order though: you should learn to read the error-messages.
    Here, it is evident that the file compiles just fine. The linker just
    tells you that there is a function you have defined multiple times -
    once in atlsd.lib and once in iorw-vc7.lib. Looking at that last name
    should tell you that the project seemingly requests to link a 2003-
    project (VC7). Most likely, you should remove that lib from your
    project.

    /Peter
    peter koch, May 14, 2007