Compile errors: Curses.c...Perl5.8...AIX

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by mailbox@cpacker.org, Aug 19, 2005.

  1. Guest

    In trying to build the Perl Curses module (Curses-1.12)
    under Perl 5.8 on a new AIX box I came up against the
    limits of my C as well as my Unix knowledge. The thing
    had built okay under Perl 5.6 on the old AIX system.
    The only co-worker within reach who seems to know more
    C than I do had no clue either.

    I have put the error messages and excerpt from the
    source file in question at
    http://cpacker.org/aa.txt

    The only thing that looks odd to me in perlio.h on the
    error lines is "pTHX_" -- which isn't followed by a comma.
    Looking around for what it might be, I see there are these
    lines in perl.h in the same directory:

    # define pTHX_ pTHX,
    which is preceded a few lines back by

    # define pTHX register PerlInterpreter *my_perl PERL_UNUSED_DECL
    which is REALLY out of my league...

    Interpretation welcomed.

    --
    (Charles Packer)
    ungoogled: mailboxATSIGNcpacker.org

    , Aug 19, 2005

    Mac wrote:
    > > The only thing that looks odd to me in perlio.h on the
    > > error lines is "pTHX_" -- which isn't followed by a comma.
    > > Looking around for what it might be, I see there are these
    > > lines in perl.h in the same directory:
    > >
    > > # define pTHX_ pTHX,
    > > which is preceded a few lines back by
    > >
    > > # define pTHX register PerlInterpreter *my_perl PERL_UNUSED_DECL
    > > which is REALLY out of my league...
    > >
    > > Interpretation welcomed.

    > This is totally off-topic in comp.lang.c. I don't know about the other

    Oh yeah? Please explain.

    --
    (Charles Packer)
    ungoogled: mailboxATSIGNcpacker.org

    , Aug 20, 2005

  3. CBFalconer Guest

    wrote:
    > Mac wrote:
    >
    > > > The only thing that looks odd to me in perlio.h on the
    > > > error lines is "pTHX_" -- which isn't followed by a comma.
    > > > Looking around for what it might be, I see there are these
    > > > lines in perl.h in the same directory:
    > > >
    > > > # define pTHX_ pTHX,
    > > > which is preceded a few lines back by
    > > >
    > > > # define pTHX register PerlInterpreter *my_perl PERL_UNUSED_DECL
    > > > which is REALLY out of my league...
    > > >
    > > > Interpretation welcomed.

    > > This is totally off-topic in comp.lang.c. I don't know about the other

    > Oh yeah? Please explain.

    It shouldn't be here.

    CBFalconer, Aug 20, 2005

    Michael Wojcik wrote:
    > In article <>, Mac <> writes:
    > > This is totally off-topic in comp.lang.c. I don't know about the other
    > > groups because I don't read them.

    > I disagree. It's a question about the meaning of certain lines of C
    > code which do not appear to involve any nonstandard keywords or other
    > language "extensions", and about the probable meaning of diagnostics
    > issued by one implementation when compiling that code. The former
    > seems entirely topical for c.l.c to me, and the latter at least
    > arguably topical; even if it is implementation-dependant, we do treat
    > some questions of "typical implementations" here as topical.
    >
    > > I am setting followups to c.l.p.m and c.u.a.

    > On the other hand, it seems to me completely OT for c.l.p.m, since
    > it's a question about, at best, part of a specific Perl implementa-
    > tion, and not the Perl language or programs written in it. Indeed,
    > it's just the sort of question we regularly boot out of c.l.c for
    > just that reason.
    >
    > Nor is it topical for c.u.a, as its only connection to AIX is that
    > happens to be the platform hosting the C implementation being used.

    Thanks for the analysis of the material I supplied. But why should I
    have problems anyway? The Curses package is from CPAN and built okay
    under Perl 5.6. There's nothing at the CPAN Web site that suggests that
    Curses will not build under Perl 5.8. And from what I know so far,
    there should be no reason to question why the Makefile on the new AIX
    system shows the default C compiler as cc_r, whereas on our old AIX
    system it was cc.

    In other words, the problem didn't begin with doubtful C code that I
    wrote. The C code was from an established vendor and built and executed
    successfully in one environment but wouldn't even build in another. For
    me to know in advance what single newsgroup to post in under these
    circumstances would have been to know what variables were being
    confounded when our sysadmin upgraded to new hardware and
    software...and therefore to know the solution to the problem...and not
    need to post at all...

    --
    (Charles Packer)
    ungoogled: mailboxATSIGNcpacker.org

    , Aug 22, 2005
  5. Mac Guest

    On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 03:31:16 -0700, mailbox wrote:

    > Mac wrote:
    >> > The only thing that looks odd to me in perlio.h on the
    >> > error lines is "pTHX_" -- which isn't followed by a comma.
    >> > Looking around for what it might be, I see there are these
    >> > lines in perl.h in the same directory:
    >> >
    >> > # define pTHX_ pTHX,
    >> > which is preceded a few lines back by
    >> >
    >> > # define pTHX register PerlInterpreter *my_perl PERL_UNUSED_DECL
    >> > which is REALLY out of my league...
    >> >
    >> > Interpretation welcomed.

    >> This is totally off-topic in comp.lang.c. I don't know about the other

    > Oh yeah? Please explain.

    I'm sorry, I was rather terse. Read the clc FAQ, or "welcome to CLC" or
    something like that. You'll get the picture. Here are URL's:

    http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.lang.c/msg/450012c33ebc1119?hl=en&

    This newsgroup is for discussion of the C language as defined by the
    relevant ANSI or ISO standards. Your question deals with a build problem
    for a well known package.

    My guess is that you will get much better expert help from people who use
    your platform, people who deal with curses, or people who deal with Perl.
    There is some possibility that you could find help at
    comp.unix.programmer, but check first before posting.

    Anyway, good luck with your problem. Build problems can be very
    frustrating!

    I'm posting to all three groups without setting followups this time since
    it now appears likely that the question is not entirely topical in any of
    the groups.

    --Mac

    Mac, Aug 24, 2005