    team need to have anything other than "read only rights" to compile
    Java source code so that the output (i.e. an ear file) can be sent our
    testing team?
    rm, Mar 15, 2007

  2. rm <> wrote:
    > We are software configuration management team preparing to participate
    > in a new project where we will be compiling Java source code. Will the
    > team need to have anything other than "read only rights" to compile
    > Java source code so that the output (i.e. an ear file) can be sent our
    > testing team?

    No, you don't necessarily need write access anywhere in the
    whole source tree, provided, that the compile-scripts (likely
    an ant-script) passes options to the compiler to indicate an
    alternative (writeable, file+subdir-creatable) target directory
    and unless any of the java-sources are created dynamically in
    the build-process.

    Hth.
    Andreas Leitgeb, Mar 15, 2007