Compile on demand "cannot execute a program"

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by =?Utf-8?B?VG9t?=, Sep 6, 2006.

  1. I have a .net v2 asp.net problem.
    I develop on my workstation and deploy to a production server.
    I use compile on demand, so no pre-compile is done.
    When I deploy, I first must move in my new or changed pages.
    Then I must restart IIS. After that, everything is good, and I run
    for weeks without problems. If something should cause a
    compile ( like making a change to one of the pages and then
    requesting the page), the following error will (usually)occur:
    Cannot execute a program.
    The command being executed was
    "C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\vbc.exe..."

    I have found several cases on the web of people having this
    problem, and a few suggestions like "check lockdown tool"
    configuration, and firewalls, and anti-virus settings. I have not
    found any references to anyone actually fixing this problem.
    It is really bugging me. The effect is shutting down the application
    until I can restart IIS after hours.
    I would like to get this to work rather than switching to the pre-compile
    model.

    I would like suggestions on how I can figure this thing out and fix it.

    The production server has asp, .net 1.1 and .net 2.0 running in seperate
    application pools. There are probably 30 asp sites, 4 asp.net(pre-compiled)
    sites
    running on the server. I am the application guy, not the systems guy,
    so I don't have a lot of expertise with authority issues.

    Also, note that on the weekend, I frequently make changes and try to
    check them out without restarting IIS, and I can do it probably
    40% of the time without an error. But once I hit an error, it won't go
    until I restart IIS.

    I don't have much hair left.....

    --
    Tom