    filename1.c

    I just need to compile source. Step-by-step instruction how to compile
    would be helpful (since I never used any programming tool)
    mistral, Feb 24, 2009

  2. mistral schrieb:
    > what is free C compiler I can use, just to compile source files? (and
    > download link). I just have a four source code files, like this:

    You might try GCC from GNU project.
    http://gcc.gnu.org/install/binaries.html

    > file.c
    > filename.c
    > filename.h
    > filename1.c
    >
    > I just need to compile source. Step-by-step instruction how to compile
    > would be helpful (since I never used any programming tool)

    Just read the help page for GCC

    --
    With best regards,
    Wolfgang F.

    Homines sumus nun dei (Petronius)
    Wolfgang Forstmeier, Feb 24, 2009

  3. mistral

    seven8 Guest

    On 24 Febr., 19:25, Wolfgang Forstmeier <> wrote:
    > mistral schrieb:
    >
    > > what is free C compiler I can use, just to compile source files? (and
    > > download link). I just have a four source code files, like this:

    > You might try GCC from GNU project.http://gcc.gnu.org/install/binaries.html
    >
    > > file.c
    > > filename.c
    > > filename.h
    > > filename1.c

    > > I just need to compile source. Step-by-step instruction how to compile
    > > would be helpful (since I never used any programming tool)

    > Just read the help page for GCC
    >
    > --
    > With best regards,
    > Wolfgang F.
    >
    > Homines sumus nun dei (Petronius)

    ------

    Hmm, probably is not too good choise, as it requires a vaste manual
    installation, requires gzip and tar to be installed, and other
    dependences

    Thanks.
    seven8, Feb 24, 2009
  4. mistral

    Daniel Pitts Guest

    seven8 wrote:
    > On 24 Febr., 19:25, Wolfgang Forstmeier <> wrote:
    >> mistral schrieb:
    >>
    >>> what is free C compiler I can use, just to compile source files? (and
    >>> download link). I just have a four source code files, like this:

    >> You might try GCC from GNU project.http://gcc.gnu.org/install/binaries.html
    >>
    >>> file.c
    >>> filename.c
    >>> filename.h
    >>> filename1.c
    >>> I just need to compile source. Step-by-step instruction how to compile
    >>> would be helpful (since I never used any programming tool)

    >> Just read the help page for GCC
    >>
    >> --
    >> With best regards,
    >> Wolfgang F.
    >>
    >> Homines sumus nun dei (Petronius)

    > ------
    >
    > Hmm, probably is not too good choise, as it requires a vaste manual
    > installation, requires gzip and tar to be installed, and other
    > dependences
    >
    > Thanks.

    I wouldn't call that a bad choice (or any kind of "choise"), and I
    certainly wouldn't call it "vaste", nor vast.

    If the OP is on a linux/unix/mac environment, it very likely already has
    GCC install. "man gcc" should get you started.

    If the OP is on Windows, cygwin is easy to install with GCC.
    One can also download Visual C++ express for free from Microsoft.

    Daniel Pitts, Feb 25, 2009
  5. seven8 <> writes:

    > On 24 Febr., 19:25, Wolfgang Forstmeier <> wrote:
    >> mistral schrieb:
    >>
    >> > what is free C compiler I can use, just to compile source files? (and
    >> > download link). I just have a four source code files, like this:

    >> You might try GCC from GNU project.http://gcc.gnu.org/install/binaries.html
    >>
    >> > file.c
    >> > filename.c
    >> > filename.h
    >> > filename1.c

    >> > I just need to compile source. Step-by-step instruction how to compile
    >> > would be helpful (since I never used any programming tool)

    >> Just read the help page for GCC
    >>
    >> --
    >> With best regards,
    >> Wolfgang F.
    >>
    >> Homines sumus nun dei (Petronius)

    > ------
    >
    > Hmm, probably is not too good choise, as it requires a vaste manual
    > installation, requires gzip and tar to be installed, and other
    > dependences

    Yes.
    Better choice (zero installation): http://www.comeaucomputing.com/tryitout/
    (OP only said he needed to _compile_ the source. Nothing more...)

    --
    __Pascal Bourguignon__
    Pascal J. Bourguignon, Feb 25, 2009
  6. mistral

    seven8 Guest

    On 25 Febr., 10:57, (Pascal J. Bourguignon)
    wrote:
    > seven8 <> writes:

    > >> You might try GCC from GNU project.http://gcc.gnu.org/install/binaries..html

    > >> Just read the help page for GCC

    > >> --
    > >> With best regards,
    > >> Wolfgang F.

    > >> Homines sumus nun dei (Petronius)

    > > ------

    > > Hmm, probably is not too good choise, as it requires a vaste manual
    > > installation, requires gzip and tar to be installed, and other
    > > dependences

    > Yes.
    > Better choice (zero installation):http://www.comeaucomputing.com/tryitout/
    > (OP only said he needed to _compile_ thesource.  Nothing more...)
    >
    > --
    > __Pascal Bourguignon__

    --------

    this is too difficult tool, and its in development stage, there are
    vaste quantity of unknown settings
    - For which platform do you want Comeau C/C++?
    - C++ mode with -tused no -tused
    - tused will instantiate all templates hence doing a fake link
    - Compile in strict C++03 mode. Compile in relaxed mode.
    - Allow C++0x extensions even in strict C++03 mode. Disable C++0x
    extensions.
    - 4.3.3 BETA 8/4/03 4.3.1 BETA 3/1/03 4.3.0.1 8/20/02 4.3.0 5/10/02
    - Support for 'export' only in versions 4.3.0 and above
    etc, etc, etc

    Can Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition compile C code?
    seven8, Feb 25, 2009
  7. seven8 <> writes:

    > On 25 Febr., 10:57, (Pascal J. Bourguignon)
    > wrote:
    >> seven8 <> writes:

    >> > ------

    >> > Hmm, probably is not too good choise, as it requires a vaste manual
    >> > installation, requires gzip and tar to be installed, and other
    >> > dependences

    >> Yes.
    >> Better choice (zero installation):http://www.comeaucomputing.com/tryitout/
    >> (OP only said he needed to _compile_ thesource.  Nothing more...)
    >>
    >> --
    >> __Pascal Bourguignon__

    > --------
    >
    > this is too difficult tool, and its in development stage, there are
    > vaste quantity of unknown settings
    > - For which platform do you want Comeau C/C++?
    > - C++ mode with -tused no -tused
    > - tused will instantiate all templates hence doing a fake link
    > - Compile in strict C++03 mode. Compile in relaxed mode.
    > - Allow C++0x extensions even in strict C++03 mode. Disable C++0x
    > extensions.
    > - 4.3.3 BETA 8/4/03 4.3.1 BETA 3/1/03 4.3.0.1 8/20/02 4.3.0 5/10/02
    > - Support for 'export' only in versions 4.3.0 and above
    > etc, etc, etc

    Outch right, there's too many options.

    > Can Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition compile C code?

    There certainly are much more options in Visual C++. If you're afraid
    of gcc and Comeau, forget Visual C++.

    --
    __Pascal Bourguignon__
    Pascal J. Bourguignon, Feb 25, 2009
  8. mistral <> writes:

    > what is free C compiler I can use, just to compile source files? (and
    > download link). I just have a four source code files, like this:
    > file.c
    > filename.c
    > filename.h
    > filename1.c
    >
    > I just need to compile source. Step-by-step instruction how to compile
    > would be helpful (since I never used any programming tool)

    gcc -c -I. *.c

    is all you need to type to compile these source files.

    --
    __Pascal Bourguignon__
    Pascal J. Bourguignon, Feb 25, 2009
  9. mistral

    jacob navia Guest

    mistral wrote:
    > what is free C compiler I can use, just to compile source files? (and
    > download link). I just have a four source code files, like this:
    > file.c
    > filename.c
    > filename.h
    > filename1.c
    >
    > I just need to compile source. Step-by-step instruction how to compile
    > would be helpful (since I never used any programming tool)

    (1) Download lcc-win from
    http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~lcc-win32
    It is very small download (approx 5MB)

    (2) Install it (approx 45 seconds in a modern machine)
    Install it in c:\lcc

    (3) Open a command line and type:
    lc filename.c filename1.c

    This will generate a filename.exe (The first file name is used to name
    the executable). That supposes that you have added c:\lcc\bin to your
    PATH variable

    --
    jacob navia
    jacob at jacob point remcomp point fr