Compile source files

mistral

what is free C compiler I can use, just to compile source files? (and
download link). I just have a four source code files, like this:
file.c
filename.c
filename.h
filename1.c

I just need to compile source. Step-by-step instruction how to compile
would be helpful (since I never used any programming tool)

Wolfgang Forstmeier

mistral said:
what is free C compiler I can use, just to compile source files? (and
download link). I just have a four source code files, like this:

You might try GCC from GNU project.
http://gcc.gnu.org/install/binaries.html
file.c
filename.c
filename.h
filename1.c

I just need to compile source. Step-by-step instruction how to compile
would be helpful (since I never used any programming tool)

Just read the help page for GCC

Daniel Pitts

seven8 said:
------

Hmm, probably is not too good choise, as it requires a vaste manual
installation, requires gzip and tar to be installed, and other
dependences

Thanks.
I wouldn't call that a bad choice (or any kind of "choise"), and I
certainly wouldn't call it "vaste", nor vast.

If the OP is on a linux/unix/mac environment, it very likely already has
GCC install. "man gcc" should get you started.

If the OP is on Windows, cygwin is easy to install with GCC.
One can also download Visual C++ express for free from Microsoft.

seven8

Yes.
Better choice (zero installation):http://www.comeaucomputing.com/tryitout/
(OP only said he needed to _compile_ thesource.  Nothing more...)

--------

this is too difficult tool, and its in development stage, there are
vaste quantity of unknown settings
- For which platform do you want Comeau C/C++?
- C++ mode with -tused no -tused
- tused will instantiate all templates hence doing a fake link
- Compile in strict C++03 mode. Compile in relaxed mode.
- Allow C++0x extensions even in strict C++03 mode. Disable C++0x
extensions.
- 4.3.3 BETA 8/4/03 4.3.1 BETA 3/1/03 4.3.0.1 8/20/02 4.3.0 5/10/02
- Support for 'export' only in versions 4.3.0 and above
etc, etc, etc

Can Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition compile C code?

Pascal J. Bourguignon

seven8 said:
--------

this is too difficult tool, and its in development stage, there are
vaste quantity of unknown settings
- For which platform do you want Comeau C/C++?
- C++ mode with -tused no -tused
- tused will instantiate all templates hence doing a fake link
- Compile in strict C++03 mode. Compile in relaxed mode.
- Allow C++0x extensions even in strict C++03 mode. Disable C++0x
extensions.
- 4.3.3 BETA 8/4/03 4.3.1 BETA 3/1/03 4.3.0.1 8/20/02 4.3.0 5/10/02
- Support for 'export' only in versions 4.3.0 and above
etc, etc, etc

Outch right, there's too many options.

Can Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition compile C code?

There certainly are much more options in Visual C++. If you're afraid
of gcc and Comeau, forget Visual C++.

Pascal J. Bourguignon

mistral said:
what is free C compiler I can use, just to compile source files? (and
download link). I just have a four source code files, like this:
file.c
filename.c
filename.h
filename1.c

I just need to compile source. Step-by-step instruction how to compile
would be helpful (since I never used any programming tool)

gcc -c -I. *.c

is all you need to type to compile these source files.

jacob navia

mistral said:
what is free C compiler I can use, just to compile source files? (and
download link). I just have a four source code files, like this:
file.c
filename.c
filename.h
filename1.c

I just need to compile source. Step-by-step instruction how to compile
would be helpful (since I never used any programming tool)

(1) Download lcc-win from
http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~lcc-win32
It is very small download (approx 5MB)

(2) Install it (approx 45 seconds in a modern machine)
Install it in c:\lcc

(3) Open a command line and type:
lc filename.c filename1.c

This will generate a filename.exe (The first file name is used to name
the executable). That supposes that you have added c:\lcc\bin to your
PATH variable