compile time comparison 1.2ghz vs 2.5ghz -- not what you might expect

TR

My PC at home is an HP ePC-42 with a 1.2ghz CPU and 512MB RAM. At work, a
Dell OptiPlex GX270 at 2.5ghz with 1GB RAM. Yet my home PC compiles the
identical ASP.NET project much faster than my work PC. At work it can take
over a minute; at home, maybe 15 seconds. I do pretty much the same kind of
work in both places: make a change to code-behind and recompile; add a class
and recompile; change HTML on a page and recompile.Why the unexpected
difference? Anything one can tweak to make compiles faster?
Thanks
TR

Microsoft Development Environment 2003 7.1.3088
..Net Framework 1.1 version 1.1.4322
Win XP Pro SP 1

John Saunders

TR said:
My PC at home is an HP ePC-42 with a 1.2ghz CPU and 512MB RAM. At work, a
Dell OptiPlex GX270 at 2.5ghz with 1GB RAM. Yet my home PC compiles the
identical ASP.NET project much faster than my work PC. At work it can take
over a minute; at home, maybe 15 seconds. I do pretty much the same kind
of
work in both places: make a change to code-behind and recompile; add a
class
and recompile; change HTML on a page and recompile.Why the unexpected
difference? Anything one can tweak to make compiles faster?

The difference could be due to anything at all: speed of the I/O subsystem,
whether the disks are fragmented - anything at all. CPU performance is
probably not the highest factor when compiling programs.

John Saunders